Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can a mat cutter double as a paper cutter?  (Read 756 times)

Benny Profane

Can a mat cutter double as a paper cutter?
« on: August 14, 2019, 11:49:06 am »

I need both. They seem to be very similar things. I have limited room.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Re: Can a mat cutter double as a paper cutter?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 02:28:15 pm »

I need both. They seem to be very similar things. I have limited room.

Sure. Not ideal, but it can work. Keep those blades sharp! You may have difficulty keeping thin paper from squirming as you cut it.

Jim

mearussi

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 11:21:34 pm »

It can in general, but a good trimmer can make very thin paper cuts that a mat cutter can't.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 08:01:43 am »

It can in general, but a good trimmer can make very thin paper cuts that a mat cutter can't.
I have a Rotatrim paper cutter and used to have a high quality Logan mat cutter (since sold as I don't do framing any longer).  The Rotatrim is far better at cutting paper than the mat cutter was.  The blade self sharpens and there is a good paper guide to make sure the cut is square.  I still use it to cut 17x25 sheets off of roll paper to print on.  I would not do this with a mat cutter.

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 10:52:17 am »

Also mat cutter tends not to be too accurate (depending on how high-end the cutter is.)  I use it to cut rough pieces from larger 22x30 or 30x40 sheets and then use a old fashioned guillotine style paper cutter to to trim them to exact sizes required.  The paper cutter really does not take too much space as it can be put away up on a shelf or in a corner when not being used.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 11:44:24 am by nirpat89 »

TonyW

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 11:36:16 am »

Very good points made so far e.g. keeping paper from squirming, cutting thin slivers of paper.

I have a Keencut Ultimat Gold and use it for its intended purpose of cutting bevels and straight cuts in mount or mat material.  When cutting paper e.g. plain printer paper there is a tendency for the paper to bunch and crease slightly where the blade first touches (hence the need for a pristine blade).  Same with the Logan cutter I previously used.

For cutting paper, photo papers etc IMHO a rotary trimmer is hard to beat.  Rotatrim make excellent trimmers albeit a little expensive.  I use a Dahle Pro model that is easily up to the task but not quite IMO up to Rotatrim quality of build.  The Dahle trimmer has wall mounting holes in the base and I am going to fabricate a storage shelf for the Keencut.

If you can consider getting both
Pages: [1]   Go Up