Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 54   Go Down

Author Topic: How media over-represents 15 times climatosceptiks fake science  (Read 50438 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: How media over-represents 15 times climatosceptiks fake science
« Reply #840 on: September 09, 2019, 04:47:48 pm »

That's hilarious. It's the kind of thing we used to expect from the Soviet Union or some banana republic. Why are the people at the top, POTUS or Secretary of Commerce or whoever, doubling down on this crap? People earning high salaries in several departments actually spent their time worrying about this. All probably because they're worried that Trump's feelings might be hurt so they try to force through some elementary school level face-saving. He's contradicted all the time, he can take it, he's way over 21, he used to be a CEO, wtf?. Don't any of these people have work to do?

Most advanced and richest nation on earth, 350 million people to choose from, and this crowd of buffoons is the best you can do?  Must be depressing as hell.

Indeed.

Now back to more important stuff:

lhodaniel

« Reply #841 on: September 09, 2019, 05:03:02 pm »

Ok... if those directly involved are crazy, can we at least not proliferate that craziness here? To hell with Alabama! (Sorry, people of Alabama, you are good).

I happen to live in Alabama. It's funny that most I know here are not as upset by this meteorological mistake as those who were totally unaffected (with an agenda, of course.) Mountain out of a mole hill much? How much do you want to bet that had Obama or a Pres. H. Clinton (thank you, God. See? He/she does exist.) had done this, it would have been spun as an abundance of caution and would have been exalted by the MSM?

It's quite possible that Trump is batshit crazy. But having the Left in charge is a million times worse. In my view, the American Left is the number one enemy to the Constitution and the America I grew up in and love. I don't even think about what China, Russia, Iran, North Korea, et al might do any more.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #842 on: September 09, 2019, 05:05:43 pm »

That's hilarious. It's the kind of thing we used to expect from the Soviet Union or some banana republic. Why are the people at the top, POTUS or Secretary of Commerce or whoever, doubling down on this crap? People earning high salaries in several departments actually spent their time worrying about this. All probably because they're worried that Trump's feelings might be hurt so they try to force through some elementary school level face-saving. He's contradicted all the time, he can take it, he's way over 21, he used to be a CEO, wtf?. Don't any of these people have work to do?

Most advanced and richest nation on earth, 350 million people to choose from, and this crowd of buffoons is the best you can do?  Must be depressing as hell.

I agree. We should be using our government departments to do important things.  Like the last administration using the CIA and FBI to go after political opponents.  Let's do something really useful with these well-trained people. 

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #843 on: September 09, 2019, 07:01:56 pm »

It's quite possible that Trump is batshit crazy. But having the Left in charge is a million times worse. ...
Maybe Trump is so crazy he is left... and in charge of everything but his mind.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

James Clark

« Reply #844 on: September 09, 2019, 07:18:27 pm »

I happen to live in Alabama.

But having the Left in charge is a million times worse. In my view, the American Left is the number one enemy to the Constitution and the America I grew up in and love.

Ladies and gentlemen... Alabama.   :-[

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #845 on: September 09, 2019, 07:27:40 pm »

Ladies and gentlemen... Alabama.   :-[

Je suis Alabama ;)

James Clark

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #847 on: September 09, 2019, 11:54:20 pm »

Indeed.

Now back to more important stuff - incompatibility of the temperament:

And he needed 31 years to figure it out? Or did she become incompatible only recently?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #848 on: September 12, 2019, 03:36:24 pm »

I happen to live in Alabama. It's funny that most I know here are not as upset by this meteorological mistake as those who were totally unaffected (with an agenda, of course.) Mountain out of a mole hill much? How much do you want to bet that had Obama or a Pres. H. Clinton (thank you, God. See? He/she does exist.) had done this, it would have been spun as an abundance of caution and would have been exalted by the MSM?

It's quite possible that Trump is batshit crazy. But having the Left in charge is a million times worse. In my view, the American Left is the number one enemy to the Constitution and the America I grew up in and love. I don't even think about what China, Russia, Iran, North Korea, et al might do any more.

If I may, you are missing the point.

The fact that Trump made a mistake about Alabama isn't a disaster. The real disaster is that he went as far as doctoring official weather forecast a few days later to hide the fact that he had made a mistake.

If having such a president is fine for you, I wonder on what values you are educating your kids. It doesn't sound like Republican values to me.

Cheers,
Bernard

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #849 on: September 12, 2019, 03:48:14 pm »

... doctoring official weather forecast...

How so? By adding a sharpie line? Since you brought up our kids, even a kid would see that line was added, not to "doctor" it, but to explain. It was added as an explanation for what he was saying: that if you extrapolate the trend in the direction that the official forecast was showing, it might reach Alabama. Any common sense, reasonable man would understand it that way. Those with TDS, however...

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #850 on: September 12, 2019, 04:10:15 pm »

How so? By adding a sharpie line? Since you brought up our kids, even a kid would see that line was added, not to "doctor" it, but to explain. It was added as an explanation for what he was saying: that if you extrapolate the trend in the direction that the official forecast was showing, it might reach Alabama. Any common sense, reasonable man would understand it that way. Those with TDS, however...
That's how I understood it. It would have been a marking I would have added. They also criticized him when he said that Obama was tapping his phone but of course the point was the Obama Administration was spying on him.  Trump's enemies will twist everything he says into something that he didn't mean.  It even seems to happen a lot here too.  To me.  😀

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #851 on: September 12, 2019, 06:28:29 pm »

No, it demonstrates something more serious.

1. Trump made a mistake. Presumably.
2. That mistake had distracting consequences, thus requiring correction by the Weather/Hurricane Service officials in charge of communicating the forecasts.
3. Trump doesn't tolerate to be corrected.
4. Trump used a several days old forecast that was not decisive enough to prove him wrong (or right).
5. To doctor the outdated forecast he himself used a sharpie, assuming nobody would notice.
6. When asked about that alteration on the outdated forecast, he denied knowledge of it being doctored.
7. He then later produced a so-called "spaghetti" chart showing the "ensemble forecasts", which showed that most models proved him wrong.
8. He then demonstrated that he didn't know how to interpret such a chart (or he wouldn't have used it, since it proves the opposite of his claim).
9. He then ordered the NOAA officials to declare that he was right, threatening to fire those officials if they didn't.
10. Those officials then published an anonymous reaction, claiming that they had been wrong in correcting the president.
11. ...

Trump then got distracted/obsessed by another issue, the firing of Bolton, or did Bolton resign?
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #852 on: September 12, 2019, 07:16:23 pm »

No, it demonstrates something more serious.

1. Trump made a mistake. Presumably.
2. That mistake had distracting consequences, thus requiring correction by the Weather/Hurricane Service officials in charge of communicating the forecasts.
3. Trump doesn't tolerate to be corrected.
4. Trump used a several days old forecast that was not decisive enough to prove him wrong (or right).
5. To doctor the outdated forecast he himself used a sharpie, assuming nobody would notice.
6. When asked about that alteration on the outdated forecast, he denied knowledge of it being doctored.
7. He then later produced a so-called "spaghetti" chart showing the "ensemble forecasts", which showed that most models proved him wrong.
8. He then demonstrated that he didn't know how to interpret such a chart (or he wouldn't have used it, since it proves the opposite of his claim).
9. He then ordered the NOAA officials to declare that he was right, threatening to fire those officials if they didn't.
10. Those officials then published an anonymous reaction, claiming that they had been wrong in correcting the president.
11. ...

Trump then got distracted/obsessed by another issue, the firing of Bolton, or did Bolton resign?
+1.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #853 on: September 12, 2019, 07:28:53 pm »

I don't think that's what happened. As far as I recall, no comment was made about that line in that press meeting.

It was there to justify an earlier comment.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 07:43:23 pm by BernardLanguillier »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #854 on: September 12, 2019, 07:44:58 pm »

It was unexpected (but not abnormal) for Trump to state that wrong forecast in the first place.
It was expected (but not normal) for him to keep tweeting that he was right.
It was not expected (but by now quite normal) that some of his fans try to prove that he was not wrong.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #855 on: September 12, 2019, 07:56:28 pm »

It was unexpected (but not abnormal) for Trump to state that wrong forecast in the first place.
It was expected (but not normal) for him to keep tweeting that he was right.
It was not expected (but by now quite normal) that some of his fans try to prove that he was not wrong.

+1

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #856 on: September 12, 2019, 08:00:12 pm »

Les, there was no “wrong” forecast. There was a forecast, and not by Trump but by the weather service, that in retrospect turned out to be wrong. As I already posted, even CNN was saying at that time that Alabama and Mississippi could be affected. The knee-jerk denial by the weather service was a political stunt, as usual, to score quick points by contradicting the president. There was no need for that. Trump being Trump, fell into that trap and then it snowballed on both sides. Mountain out of a molehill.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #857 on: September 12, 2019, 08:33:30 pm »

Les, there was no “wrong” forecast. There was a forecast, and not by Trump but by the weather service, that in retrospect turned out to be wrong.

Wrong. Forecasts are just that, forecasts, but they are based on probabilities.

The probability of Alabama being in the danger-zone was very very unlikely if considered at all. And that was in the very early stages. By the time that Trump made his error, (if even) based on by then very much outdated forecasts, the probability had been reduced even further, to practically being nil.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #858 on: September 12, 2019, 08:58:33 pm »

Les, there was no “wrong” forecast. There was a forecast, and not by Trump but by the weather service, that in retrospect turned out to be wrong. As I already posted, even CNN was saying at that time that Alabama and Mississippi could be affected. The knee-jerk denial by the weather service was a political stunt, as usual, to score quick points by contradicting the president. There was no need for that. Trump being Trump, fell into that trap and then it snowballed on both sides. Mountain out of a molehill.

Yes Slobodan, initially (while still far away), the Dorian forecast for southern USA looked very dangerous and the exact landfall couldn't be predicted accurately. Then Dorian changed, the meteorological forecast changed, but for some reason Trump's forecast never changed.

Right now, it looks like the new Humberto storm may impact indeed even Alabama, but hopefully it won't get stronger and destructive in its path. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #859 on: September 12, 2019, 09:26:41 pm »

Yes Slobodan, initially (while still far away), the Dorian forecast for southern USA looked very dangerous and the exact landfall couldn't be predicted accurately. Then Dorian changed, the meteorological forecast changed, but for some reason Trump's forecast never changed.

Right now, it looks like the new Humberto storm may impact indeed even Alabama, but hopefully it won't get stronger and destructive in its path. 

Maybe Trump was busy with Kim and Xi and other life-and-death security matters and lost track of the forecasts changing.  I still forgetfully double expose my RB67 film shots after thirty years of using the camera.  If Obama said it, the media would have said just that and supported him.  But the media so hate Trump, they use every misspeak as an excuse to bury him.  It's been going on for three years.  It's very tiring and does a disservice to the public who have other more important issues to learn about and debate. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 09:29:51 pm by Alan Klein »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 54   Go Up