Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Topaz Denoise AI v1.2.1 update  (Read 724 times)

earlybird

Topaz Denoise AI v1.2.1 update
« on: August 11, 2019, 12:50:05 pm »

Hi,
 I was working on some pictures I made yesterday of Hummingbirds in flight. Despite the fact that the birds were in full sunlight, I purposefully choose to underexpose in order to utilize a fast shutter speed, so I knew I would be pushing in post and expected I would use a Denoise process.

I occasionally test Topaz Denoise 6 and Topaz Denoise AI with direct comparisons, and too date I have on each occasion opted to stick with Denoise 6 as the solution of choice.

It had been a while since I launched Denoise AI. Today when I did so I was offered the latest model update, so I was optimistic and eager to try it.

I ran the Topaz Denoise AI v1.2.1 on several pictures using the auto settings, and while the denoising results were ok, I found several patches of vertical linear striping artifacts marring the image. In addition, the automatically chosen sharpening effect was over the top and far more dramatized than I subsequently got with Topaz Sharpen AI in a two step Denoise v6-Sharpen AI process.

I look forward to the next update to Denoise AI, while I contemplate if and how software developers will actually be able to interpret and then effectively influence what the machine learning is teaching to the machine. Will the results of the machine learned processes be based on a grab bag of arbitrary decisions made with less circumspection than traditional algorithmic application? 

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Topaz Denoise AI v1.2.1 update
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 05:31:01 pm »

Thanks for the heads up.

I have been burned in the past with their updates, as you can't go back unless you have a image of your hard drive.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

JaapD

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 02:30:30 am »

Same here, I’m also looking forward to the next release, or maybe the next tenth release as I don’t see that much improvement made. With Denoise I get the better results from its AI-clear function, however still containing too much artifacts to be practically usable. Same as with the other AI apps.

My classic workflow with NeatImage and FocusMagic still gives me best results.

Regards,
Jaap

Terry_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 01:03:05 am »

I have been burned in the past with their updates, as you can't go back unless you have a image of your hard drive.

If enough people ask them for it, they may either a) add the function to have both your previous installed version and the new version on the system at the same time, or b) allow general access to their S3 bucket where all of the installers (full-version / offline) from the current version all the way back to the beginning are stored (no loss to them, since they all want to be activated before use).
Pages: [1]   Go Up