Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ryzen 3rd Gen  (Read 281 times)

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
Ryzen 3rd Gen
« on: August 10, 2019, 09:46:23 pm »

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone is considering the new Ryxen processors for a new build?

Seems like an amazing all round set and the 3900x or 3950 are on my short list at the moment.

I'm wondering if C1 might benefit from thw multi core/threads of these cpus.

Let mw know your thoughts.

Cheers.

A
Between the Buildings
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

armand

• Photos
Re: Ryzen 3rd Gen
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 09:01:26 am »

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone is considering the new Ryxen processors for a new build?

Seems like an amazing all round set and the 3900x or 3950 are on my short list at the moment.

I'm wondering if C1 might benefit from thw multi core/threads of these cpus.

Let mw know your thoughts.

Cheers.

A

I would but I convinced myself that I want thunderbolt for my next computer, be it built by myself or bought as is, so I think AMD is a no show here.

Joe Towner

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 12:04:13 pm »

I would but I convinced myself that I want thunderbolt for my next computer, be it built by myself or bought as is, so I think AMD is a no show here.
What are you looking to get from TB3?  The advantage of a desktop is standard PCIe slots, and with USB-C (3.2) external speeds are still nice. 

I'm looking at doing a video workstation build - stitching video (Insta360 Pro2) sucks with my laptop. 
t: @PNWMF

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 01:33:07 pm »

Some of the X570 mbs have thunderbolt don't they?
Between the Buildings

armand

• Photos
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 04:00:57 pm »

What are you looking to get from TB3?  The advantage of a desktop is standard PCIe slots, and with USB-C (3.2) external speeds are still nice. 

I'm looking at doing a video workstation build - stitching video (Insta360 Pro2) sucks with my laptop.

Yes, but I want my storage separated from my computer, partially for easier upgrades down the road and partially for size of storage. With enough drives I should get at least as much speed as from my SATA drives (even as they are SSD only) but I don't think USB will cut it. I know I can add drives in the desktop and I did, but I feel it would be easier to separate the upgrades. Another reason is that I want my computer to be silent; if I want a lot of cheaper storage I would need to go back to regular HDD, thinking of 6 to 8. Putting them in a box that I can move farther away from me would decrease the noise.
I would also need to upgrade my NAS in the next year or so, therefore I contemplated using a NAS with dual 10GB, or with the newer 40GB or 100GB but it looks a little too complicated for my level, particularly if I need to troubleshoot it. I could try a NAS with both TB3 and 10GB for best of both worlds but I would like to see some real world testing.

Some of the X570 mbs have thunderbolt don't they?

I didn't check but I know on the native Intel side there is a paucity of motherboards that can reliably provide TB3. So far the Gigabyte Z390 Designare is the best candidate that offers built-in TB3, without additional cards. On the built-in side is a Dell XPS Special edition with the add-in card, or the latest iMAC 27 if you want Mac.
Searching now it seems that only ASRock has a few that will need an add-in card.

Joe Towner

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 10:21:53 pm »

Yes, but I want my storage separated from my computer, partially for easier upgrades down the road and partially for size of storage. With enough drives I should get at least as much speed as from my SATA drives (even as they are SSD only) but I don't think USB will cut it. I know I can add drives in the desktop and I did, but I feel it would be easier to separate the upgrades. Another reason is that I want my computer to be silent; if I want a lot of cheaper storage I would need to go back to regular HDD, thinking of 6 to 8. Putting them in a box that I can move farther away from me would decrease the noise.
I would also need to upgrade my NAS in the next year or so, therefore I contemplated using a NAS with dual 10GB, or with the newer 40GB or 100GB but it looks a little too complicated for my level, particularly if I need to troubleshoot it. I could try a NAS with both TB3 and 10GB for best of both worlds but I would like to see some real world testing.

I can appreciate the idea of having storage separate from your computing.  I would argue it's better to go with NASes than an external disk array, as they're about the same cost if not cheaper.  QNAP actually does the TB3/10gb NAS, where the TB3 is a network adapter that's connected to a 10gbps switch inside the NAS, but I wouldn't go that route.  The only storage I see needing TB3 is the ThunderBlade or Express 4m2 by OWC - 4x NVMe slots.  My most wanted device right now is a TB3 -> 8-12 M.2 SATA or 2.5" SATA enclosure, but at that size they're going to want to have a RAID function built in :( .

What amount of space are you looking at needing?  Dual 10gb is fine, but what are you plugging it into that'll have the bandwidth to match it?  25/40gb would be a fiber cross connect between the NAS and your workstation.  Solo 10gbps should get you around 1,2000MBps with Jumbo Frames if the NAS can handle it (and they're loaded with SSDs).

armand

• Photos
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 11:03:44 pm »

If I don't go the NAS route I was looking at the OWC Thunderbay RAID 6; it doesn't have built in RAID but with a new processor (in my computer) I hope I won't feel it that much. It has room for 6 HDD and 1 NVME SSD. I still get a feel they are optimized for Mac though and I'm not convinced that I will switch.
I currently have around 3.5TB but with the Z7 I wan't to have enough storage for some years, so I would like something in the 16-18TB range at least. My current NAS has 8TB and I'll soon have to delete some of the windows backups.
I knew Synology was supposed to come up with a TB3 NAS but it's missing in action (the DS1817T).

Joe Towner

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 12:40:45 pm »

I would love a ThunderBay 6 designed for 2.5" drives!  Too bad the Synology DS620slim doesn't have dual 2.5/5gbps ports, and a touch more horsepower - it'd make a great 10tb (SHR/F1 RAID5 over 2tb SSD's). Plug in an external 14tb drive over USB3 & backup to it.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 08:33:28 pm »

Back on topic.

Does anyone else have any insite, thoughts on these new processors?

Thanks.

Andrew
Between the Buildings

JaapD

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 02:13:18 am »

These days Id definitely go for an 3rd gen Ryzen. I think the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, with 12-cores and 24-threads and boost clocks up to 4.6GHz is a high-performance achiever while at about $ 499,- still very cost effective. Also many PCIe lanes, you wont have limitations here on the graphics- and m.2 storage pipelines.

Combine this with a motherboard containing a X570 chipset supporting the latest PCIe 4.0 standard, giving you up to 51% faster SSD performance, along with 69% faster graphics performance (could be more something for the nerds or benchmark measurebators, as end user you may not notice that much from it).

Also something to consider: various security leaks with Intel processors and performance degradation after a fix in software.

On a personal note: I now have a PC containing an Intel i7 processor but my next system will definitely be based on the above mentioned AMD configuration, in combination with an Nvidia RTX 20xx graphics card together with the new 10 bit studio driver (no expensive Quadro required anymore).

Regards,
Jaap.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 02:48:54 pm by JaapD »

FabienP

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 05:52:47 pm »

Intel is not supposed to have an answer to Ryzen 3000 processors until sometime in the second half of 2020 for desktops and workstations. Now would be the time to give AMD some support so that there will still be competition in the x86 processors space in the future.

I plan to build a new PC later this year with either a Ryzen 3000 or a yet to be announced Threadripper processor of the same generation. This will depend on the price difference for a 16 core processor. I don't need more cores but could use the extra PCIe lanes offered by the latter processor in a few years.

The only thing bothering me with X570 chipsets is their need to be actively cooled with a 4 cm fan. That could be noisy and will likely fail at some point down the line, with no standardised replacement part. There is only one existing motherboard which has a passive heatsink but with a ridiculous price tag and tons of features that are not needed by most people.

Cheers,

Fabien
Pages: [1]   Go Up