Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: For Todd: A suggestion  (Read 166 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
For Todd: A suggestion
« on: August 09, 2019, 10:19:11 am »

Todd, I'm looking at your most recent pictures of buildings and signs. They're okay, as long as I don't fall asleep looking at them. You're in Georgia. I went through basic pilot training in Moultrie. That was a long time ago, 1951 to be exact, but I drove through there a couple years ago and it hasn't changed much. It still had this kind of picture available if you were willing to look.

Now, this picture is from Holly Springs, Mississippi in 2002. It has a guy -- a person in it. Have you considered doing this kind of thing? It's called "street photography," which really is a misnomer because it has absolutely nothing to do with streets. What street photography has to do with is people -- often people interacting with other people, or, as in this instance, people interacting with their environment. Environment is interesting to landscape photographers and those shooting what Rob rightly has christened "travel atmospherics," as well as people shooting advertising for resorts, etc. But the most interesting things in the world are people because we, the observers, are people.

Your photographs make me think you're a frustrated street photographer. You might want to give it a try. It takes some guts to shoot pictures of people. You have to do it a few times before you stop shaking when you're doing it, but the results often are worth the anguish.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Todd Suttles

• Hi, amateur learning my way...
    • Todd Suttles
Re: For Todd: A suggestion
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 12:49:14 pm »

Todd, I'm looking at your most recent pictures of buildings and signs. They're okay, as long as I don't fall asleep looking at them. ...

Your photographs make me think you're a frustrated street photographer. You might want to give it a try. It takes some guts to shoot pictures of people. You have to do it a few times before you stop shaking when you're doing it, but the results often are worth the anguish.
Russ, Thanks. This photo is from my last photo/session trip to Savannah. I have not shot since then because of work. Everything I have posted in the last 2 weeks was from that last "shoot". Based on all the feedback and suggestions from you and everyone else regarding those posts, and the list of photographers everyone suggested I study (which are all street), I had already arrived at the decision for the next foreseeable period that I am only going to shoot people and try to find my way into that genre. The decision I did not make was to stop posting the others from that trip. I'm stopping now tho! Applause,  ;)  PS: The Americans arrived yesterday and I am loving it. Thank you and everyone helping me and being tolerant of me as I sort all of this out. You won't see anything from me that is not new and an attempt in that direction. Much appreciated -t.
One Day At A Time
Pages: [1]   Go Up