Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spot removal acting wacky  (Read 1360 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Spot removal acting wacky
« on: August 07, 2019, 09:03:52 am »

LR CC Classic. Sometimes the SR tool does not copy properly. In other words, the content in the source circle is not copied to the target circle, but some other content. Here's an example, The source circle on the right is over some green grass, but the target circle on the left has something totally different. Any idea what's going on?

mbaginy

Re: Spot removal acting wacky
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 11:22:35 am »

Yeah, Peter, I've had LR CC Classic act in a similar fashion.  I deleted the selection and started anew, or I move the selected spot to a better choice.  Didn't notice this oddity in the past, maybe it's something which has crept into LR in a fairly recent update.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 11:38:19 am »

I've seen the same thing and it's rather random when it happens.

smahn

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 03:45:37 pm »

Looks like the tool is in heal mode and is struggling to blend such radically different textures and luminosities. Try setting it to clone mode and see if you get results more in line with what you anticipate.

George Marinos

• http://WWW.IDOLOLAB.GR
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 07:40:35 am »

Yeah, Peter, I've had LR CC Classic act in a similar fashion.  I deleted the selection and started anew, or I move the selected spot to a better choice.  Didn't notice this oddity in the past, maybe it's something which has crept into LR in a fairly recent update.
I remember that before 3 years or something like this, the tool had chosen a very appropriate source almost always. But after that, it does the opposite. Am I right?
George Marinos
http://www.idololab.gr/
Fine art Photolab
Athens,Greece

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 10:10:30 am »

I never know which is better - clone or heal mode???  Any advice?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 10:11:24 am »

PS:  I use it when I'm spotting scans of medium format film.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 11:06:10 am »

I never know which is better - clone or heal mode???  Any advice?

Clone mode mindlessly copies data from source to destination.
Heal mode attempts to modify the copy procedure by comparing source and destination in an attempt to achieve a more invisible blend.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 03:08:24 pm »

Hi, do you have a display scale other than 100%? Some Adobe applications don't work well with different scaling

mbaginy

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 03:21:34 pm »

I remember that before 3 years or something like this, the tool had chosen a very appropriate source almost always. But after that, it does the opposite. Am I right?
I surely don't consider the tool unreliable, but at times it offers a poor choice for the correction.  I've turned to using it almost only for for dust spots and use PS for any other, more involved, work.  I'm unable to set a date, when I first noticed a difference in performance - maybe three years is correct, probably not longer.

mbaginy

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 04:01:58 pm »

Hold on, I fear I've misunderstood your problem, Peter.

No, I've not encountered the spot removal tool depicting something different than what should be shown within the circle.

What I notice lately is LR's poor choice for the spot I had selected.  I'm finding that I need to reposition or completely delete the spot more often than in the past.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 06:13:09 pm »

Clone mode mindlessly copies data from source to destination.
Heal mode attempts to modify the copy procedure by comparing source and destination in an attempt to achieve a more invisible blend.
I just tried the same spot both ways.  Heal seems to pick up other stuff.  Clone seems to go to clearer results (I'm cloning out dust spots on film on skies after scanning.)  Not sure which is better.  I'll have to play with them a little more. Thanks.

JeanMichel

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2019, 07:54:45 am »

For a lot of spotting you may find it easier and faster to do so in PS. Maybe even try the dust and scratches filter.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2019, 10:10:59 am »

smahn had the answer - heal vs. clone mode. Criminy, I didn't even know these modes existed!! Thanks.

Frodo

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2019, 11:46:03 pm »

LR CC Classic. Sometimes the SR tool does not copy properly. In other words, the content in the source circle is not copied to the target circle, but some other content. Here's an example, The source circle on the right is over some green grass, but the target circle on the left has something totally different. Any idea what's going on?

Peter, have you set the opacity in the healing tool to much less than 100%?
Pages: [1]   Go Up