Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Holding bags open for internal shots  (Read 672 times)

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Holding bags open for internal shots
« on: August 06, 2019, 01:38:36 am »

Hi guys,
I am looking for ideas and devices to hold bags open so that the inside can be photographed without your hands visible. I am thinking there may be flexible bands like those used for the frames of trifold reflectors. Please see the photos for what I am trying to do, but better.
Bob
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Re: Holding bags open for internal shots
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 10:04:15 am »

I can tell you what I do. I photograph a lot of bags. Perhaps it will be of use.

I don’t put anything inside. I use various hooks or pins or safety pins on the outside of the bag and pull it open from the outside. I’m other words slip a safety pin through the outside and a piece of thread through that and attach  that to a weight, light stand or whatever is handy to pull it open. Sometimes the bag will have a convenient attachment point such as a loop or strap. Obviously the outside around the bag is deep etched out in post.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 08:30:48 pm »

Thanks Martin.
I can't make holes in the bag but will look at various other ways to keep it open. The client wants to show the phone and notebook etc inside so the customer can see how they would use the bag.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

DanielStone

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 01:31:30 am »

Pick up some aluminum round bar stock, thinner like 1/8 or smaller in diameter. Bend and cut to desired shape. Mild steel heavy gauge wire might work for what you're doing as well. A pair of bolt cutters and some gaffers tape on the ends (to make the edges less pokey, if you don't have access to a sander to soften the cut edges).

-Dan

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 09:03:18 am »

Hi guys,
I am looking for ideas and devices to hold bags open so that the inside can be photographed without your hands visible. I am thinking there may be flexible bands like those used for the frames of trifold reflectors. Please see the photos for what I am trying to do, but better.
Bob

A couple of bungee cords hooked to the handles on either side pulling the bag open.  Then clone them out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up