Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson SP 4880 - automatic printhead cleaning problem.  (Read 546 times)

aterka

Epson SP 4880 - automatic printhead cleaning problem.
« on: August 03, 2019, 11:57:41 am »

Hello,
I am looking for a solution to the problem of automatic head cleaning in Epson SP4880. Printer firmware B02198.1.02.800 - the latest release.
Starting the printer after two days of inactivity activates the automatic cleaning of the printhead even though it I disables this option in the printer menu.
I came to the conclusion that I will stop turning it off (printer of course), but they also thought about it and the automatic cleaning will start immediately before printing.
There is no way to turn it off. The most interesting thing is that the printhead is OK and the nozzle check printout always shows 100% but the printer starts the cleaning anyway.
The result is, of course, the opposite of what was intended. After cleaning, there are always a few nozzles missing before printing, and sometimes the entire colour falls out (the whole cyan has recently fallen out).
I managed to recover 100% nozzles after 3 cleanings. This is a drama! I also use the Epson SP3800 and SP9900 but there is nothing like that.
Is there a solution to this problem (maybe back to the old firmware)?

Terry_Kennedy

Re: Epson SP 4880 - automatic printhead cleaning problem.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 02:47:40 pm »

Printer firmware B02198.1.02.800 - the latest release.

I have B02198.1.06.800 here in the US - I'm not sure if the 2 vs. 6 is a version difference or a marketing region difference.
Starting the printer after two days of inactivity activates the automatic cleaning of the printhead even though it I disables this option in the printer menu.
I came to the conclusion that I will stop turning it off (printer of course), but they also thought about it and the automatic cleaning will start immediately before printing.

I don't use my 4880 as much as previously (generally, only if I'm printing more than a few sheets of individual sheets - I can have my P10000 powered up and ready while my 4880 is still doing its song and dance of whirr / click / thunk).

However, I can power it up after a long period of inactivity (several weeks) and it will be ready to go in just a little longer ("PLEASE WAIT" on the control panel display) than if it was already on and I was sending a job to it. Sometimes (and it doesn't appear to be time-related, as I can power it up after 2-3 weeks and not get this) it will say "PERFORM NOZZLE CHECK Y/N?" on the display.

Given that my ink cartridges all have dates from 2012 (and were bought new from B&H then, so not pre-expired) and were installed in 2012, and I've only ever changed the maintenance tank once, I don't think my printer is wasting a lot of ink doing needless cleanings.

Strange that we're seeing such different behavior...

aterka

Re: Epson SP 4880 - automatic printhead cleaning problem.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 07:20:16 am »

Terry, thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, it's different with me. Turning the printer off for two days will automatically clean the printer as soon as it is turned on.
There is nothing I can do. Only once I got the message about which you write and, of course, I pressed N. Fortunately, she listened and didn't do any cleaning.
My 4880 is wasting a huge amount of ink. After printing about 15 A4 pages I have a decrease of 8-9% of each colour which means the printer used more than 140ml of ink to print about 1m2.
This is pathetic.
I'll try to install the US version of the firmware and we'll see.
Pages: [1]   Go Up