Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Butterflies: Whites and Sulphurs  (Read 175 times)

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Butterflies: Whites and Sulphurs
« on: August 03, 2019, 08:06:35 am »

I spent an afternoon earlier this week wandering around the margins of a local lake teaming with insects, esp. butterflies. Here are a few images from my trek. These three butterflies are in the group referred to as Whites and Sulphurs (http://www.marylandbutterflies.com/). I may have misidentified them, so feel free to offer corrections, if you wish. Of course, C&C is most welcomed. Thanks, Bob
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

churly

Re: Butterflies: Whites and Sulphurs
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 09:51:07 am »

Nice butterflies.  They always say that you need to get the eyes at sharp focus.  I have questioned this but I think these are perhaps good examples in which that is the case.  What do you think.Chuck
Chuck Hurich

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 11:12:40 am »

Thanks for your thoughts, Chuck. Ideally, I'd like everything in focus and sharp, but I prefer to sacrifice DOF for improved sharpness, i.e, lack of motion blur. Yes, when focusing I aim for the insect's eye, but butterflies move quickly, so it's pretty much luck as to what gets in focus. FWIW: these were taken with a Canon 100mm macro @f8.0 with an extension tube.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

churly

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 11:48:34 am »

Bob - Yes they are tough targets and I am generally satisfied when I can get something sharp but I still think that getting the eyes sharp makes them better.  Just my opinion.  :)   
Chuck Hurich
Pages: [1]   Go Up