Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which D-SLR to Buy?  (Read 6173 times)

GC617289

Which D-SLR to Buy?
« on: November 16, 2006, 02:15:53 pm »

Which D-SLR should I buy?

I curently own a Canon EOS 5 (A2-E in the US) and (through a variety of circumstances):
EF 50 f1.4 USM
EF 20-35 f3.5/4.5 USM
EF 28-105 f3.5/4.5 USM

I am not a professional, photograph mainly buildings (interior and exterior), landscapes, and people/objects close-up.  The most expensive camera I'm willing to buy is the EOS 5D ... but I think this might be overkill for my needs and current lens collection.

So, which Canon camera should I buy?  I also don't mind selling the two moderate-quality zoom lenses in exchange for one better quality zoom or fixed-focal lens.

In fact, I really don't mind selling the lot and switching to Nikon.

DarkPenguin

Which D-SLR to Buy?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 02:25:30 pm »

I would ditch everything but the 50.

Maybe a 30D (or 400D) with ef-s 10-20, ef-s 17-85 and the sigma 30mm.  But that is just one option.

howiesmith

Which D-SLR to Buy?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 03:48:12 pm »

Which D-SLR should I buy?

I curently own a Canon EOS 5 (A2-E in the US) and (through a variety of circumstances):
EF 50 f1.4 USM
EF 20-35 f3.5/4.5 USM
EF 28-105 f3.5/4.5 USM

I am not a professional, photograph mainly buildings (interior and exterior), landscapes, and people/objects close-up.  The most expensive camera I'm willing to buy is the EOS 5D ... but I think this might be overkill for my needs and current lens collection.

So, which Canon camera should I buy?  I also don't mind selling the two moderate-quality zoom lenses in exchange for one better quality zoom or fixed-focal lens.

In fact, I really don't mind selling the lot and switching to Nikon.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85641\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What are you unhappy with with your current camera/lenses?

marcmccalmont

Which D-SLR to Buy?
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 04:00:18 pm »

Thats a complicated question! What is your budget?
A $2000 solution is different than a $6000 solution.
My 5D is soo good I am happy to have spent the extra money on the full frame sensor/multiple lens solution but on a budget I would look for a 1 lens/aps sized sensor solution.

Canon 5D, 24-105 is, 70-200 is, or
Nikon D200, 18-200 vr

The stabilized lenses are more important than you might first think moving from film/normal lenses to digital w/high tech lenses

If you are a resolution freak (enjoyed the detail of medium format film, frustrated by 35mm film) buy the 5D.

Marc
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 04:03:25 pm by marcmccalmont »
Marc McCalmont

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
Which D-SLR to Buy?
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 04:05:45 pm »

Thats a complicated question! What is your budget?
A $2000 solution is different than a $6000 solution.
My 5D is soo good I am happy to have spent the extra money on the full frame sensor/multiple lens solution but on a budget I would look for a 1 lens/aps sized sensor solution.

Canon 5D, 24-105 is, 70-200 is, or
Nikon D200, 18-200 vr

The stabilized lenses are more important than you might first think moving from film/normal lenses to digital w/high tech lenses

Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85672\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For buildings (inside or outside), I would tend to avoid the 24-105 and go with the 24-70 to avoid some vignetting, distortion, and corner softness. Nothing is perfect, but for the same money you get closer to the correct tool. Buildings don't need IS.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 04:06:08 pm by boku »
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

RedRebel

Which D-SLR to Buy?
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 04:14:04 pm »

One year ago I bought the 350D with a 17-85IS, which was my first digital camera. At that time I was quite happy with it, especiallyy the image quality but I wasn't happy with the 350D controls.

To make a long story short I sold the 350D with 17-85IS and went for the 5D with the 24-105 IS and I have never looked back. The image quality is outstanding and it has professional controls. The 24-105IS is a very good lens and a class better then the 17-85IS.

But beïng realistic, it doesn't make sense to buy a 5D while not using L class, or at least very good lenses. Other lenses simply lack sharpness and show a lot of vignetting, purple fringing etc. The 5D simply makes everything vissable, including lens flaws.

A good altenative would be the 30D with a 17-85IS or 17-55IS f2.8. There are many discussion about ful frame or not, I do like full frame while others favor 1.6 crop cameras to have more tele-reach.

ps.
When buying the 5D, you shouldn't sell your 50mm f1.4 USM. This lens combined with the high noise free ISO numbers makes it an excellent indoor/night setup.
Good luck
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 04:16:47 pm by RedRebel »

DarkPenguin

Which D-SLR to Buy?
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 04:27:00 pm »

I was assuming it was a 5D with existing lenses or a cheaper camera with new lenses.  I forgot about the 17-55.  That or the 17-40 would also be good.

However one should remember it is double rebate days with canon.  If one buys a 5D and a 24-105 IS one is entitled to $700 of canon rebates.  (A 30D and 17-85 would net $230 of rebates.  FYI.)

(OT: Do the rebates on camera bodies portend new bodies at those points in canon's lineup?  Can I expect 30D and 5D replacements come PMA?)

marcmccalmont

Which D-SLR to Buy?
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 04:47:18 pm »

For buildings (inside or outside), I would tend to avoid the 24-105 and go with the 24-70 to avoid some vignetting, distortion, and corner softness. Nothing is perfect, but for the same money you get closer to the correct tool. Buildings don't need IS.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85674\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree but I sold the 24-70 2.8 for 2 reasons, with DXO optics the differences in lenses are negligible and for general purpose the 24-105 is is a better lens

The next point is purchase a camera/lens combination that DXO optics supports!
It is a $300 improvement to all your lenses

Marc
Marc McCalmont

GregW

• http://
Which D-SLR to Buy?
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 11:18:58 am »

I'm normally loathed to suggest people changing systems when they already have an investment in lenses.  In your case it only really makes sense to keep one of them so I'll stick my neck out and suggest an alternative approach for you to consider.

One proviso is that you don't have any need to the tilt-shift lenses from Canon and you can live without a full frame camera.  I mention this because you photograph buildings.

If you want more than what the 30D offers but think the 5D might be overkill, then the Nikon D200 (x1.5) slots in very nicely and would give you more to spend on lenses.  In your case if you don't need the 5fps, environmental sealing, superior ergonomics (my opinion but most agree) then the D80(x1.5) is also an option, you can put the potential saving towards some new glass.  Of particular interest (Interiors and portraits) might be the commander mode wireless flash system which is available on both bodies.  There's a bit more to it of course, like some subtle AF differences but a dpreview comparison of the two camera's will highlight the major differences in spec.  If you have any specific questions to the specs then let me know and I'll try and answer them for you.

The lens situation is also quite interesting because there are many options right across the price range.  

Covering the subjects you listed the following are nice zoom options.  I have both and I'm very happy with them.  Both are Nikon's equivalent to Canon L series lenses in terms of price of quality.

12-24 f4 DX
17-55 f2.8 DX

The 17-35 f/2.8 is also reputed to be a good lens but I don't have one.  Similarly the 28-70mm f/2.8D is very popular (When combined with the 12-24) as it takes you nicely to the 70-200 2.8. they are all nice options.  I settled on the 17-55 simply because I found the majority of shots I take to be in that range.

Nikon also has some great prime options and with you mentioning your interest in portraits I have to mention the following 2 lenses.  I own the 85 1.8 but not the 1.4

85 f1.4D simply a stunning lens and if I had a significant interest in portraits I'd buy one in a flash.  
85 f1.8D

and the

50 f1.8D is one of Nikons sharpest primes.

You are not only limited to Nikon but also Zeiss lenses including the recently announced Distagons in 25mm f2.8 or 35mm f2.0.

There are some attractive rebates on offer at the moment so it's a good time to buy.  

One final thought.  I'd define some kind of budget and then go and test both the D200 and D80 together with the Canon options.  Often this helps to add depth and texture to the information provided here.

GC617289

Which D-SLR to Buy?
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 02:06:39 pm »

Thanks to all for the detailed and insightful replies.

My thoughts fall into two areas.

1. My current lenses are not as sharp as I want.  I was most disappointed in the EF 20-35 and will definately sell this before the Holidays.  I'm now convinced that top-class lenses with a lower priced body make more sense ... which probably leans me towards cameras that do not have full-frame sensors.

2. My choice has come down to 3 options:

a: Buy EOS 5D, keep the 50/1.4, sell other lenses, buy a 'L' zoom in the near future.  At this time, my least favored option.

b: Buy EOS 30D plus EF-S 17-55/f2.8, keep the 50/1.4, sell other lenses and EOS 5

c: Buy D200 (or more likely) D80 plus AF-S 17-55/f2.8, sell all Canon

All these options have current rebates programs (noted by others).

I think the decision will come down the look and feel of the Canon vs. Nikon bodies.  I'll 'test drive' all this weekend and get back to this forum with my reactions and decision.

GC617289

Which D-SLR to Buy?
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 09:33:13 am »

Thanks again to all for your comments and suggestions.  Now, having held all of the bodies ... here's my choice:

Nikon D200/MB-D200 with AF-S 17-55 f2.8

My key thoughts were:

1:  Preference of the D80 over the 30D and Rebel XTi/400D ... but all were too dinky.

2:  Surprize at how substantial the D200 felt over the 5D at half the price.

I'm going to put the Canon stuff on CraigsList or eBay.  They're all in perfect, unmaked condition with Canon filters and hoods.

elkhornsun

Which D-SLR to Buy?
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 07:54:23 pm »

If you are making the switch to Nikon one big advantage of th e D80/D200 is the Commander mode that lets you use a Nikon SB600 flash remotely with no cable, controlled from the camera. Nice for macro or having a flash on a stand or clamped to a railing to provide side lighting.

The 17-55mm f2.8 is a great lens. Consider adding either the 18-200mm VR lens if you use your camera mostly for travel and want a light kit, or the 70-200mm f.28 VR lens. Another option is a used 80-200mm f2.8 that can be bought in excellent condition for around $500.

If you shoot low light photography a lens to consider is the Sigma 30mm f1.4, which is very fast and provides a picture angle equivalent to a 50mm lens on your film body. At 4x the speed of the 17-55mm f2.8 it is a nice street lens, or for indoors when shooting without flash.

thomashoven

• http://www.thomashoven.com
Which D-SLR to Buy?
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 06:06:47 am »

Thanks again to all for your comments and suggestions.  Now, having held all of the bodies ... here's my choice:

Nikon D200/MB-D200 with AF-S 17-55 f2.8

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86020\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks to GC617389 for an interesting evaluation - I am considering the same models (5D vs D200). Compact size and quality are my main criteria, not primarily cost. I am a keen amateur, not a pro, so the extreme mechanical sturdiness of pro gear is not required. I will likely buy only one quality zoom lens (approximately 24 - 100 mm, the wide end being more interesting) with the housing. I like the functionalities available on the D200 better, but expect the 5D to excel in large print quality. Direct comparizons between the two hare hard to find on the Web, as they are often considered to be of two different categories (Prosumer vs. professional).

Does anyone have a direct comparizon, or know about anything on the Web?

Regards,
Thomas
Rgds,
Thomas (www.thomashoven.com)

Rob C

Which D-SLR to Buy?
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 04:23:05 pm »

Thomas

I know a pro who has the 5 for his commissioned work and the 200 for his personal work. Why? The 200 is just so much more pleasant to use.

To illustrate the problems with people and cameras: I have a D200 and also one of the last F3 bodies made; the D200 lets me use my non-af lenses (AIS) with ease. However, I have developed an urge for an M6 with a 35mm optic - so if you are looking for logic, look beyond photographers!

Ciao - Rob C

asdddd

Which D-SLR to Buy?
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 07:03:01 am »

sadasdas
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 07:03:33 am by asdddd »
Pages: [1]   Go Up