Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No need for quadro cards anymore!  (Read 1112 times)

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
No need for quadro cards anymore!
« on: July 31, 2019, 04:14:49 pm »

Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

FabienP

Re: No need for quadro cards anymore!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 06:32:18 pm »

Apparently this requires a specific NVIDIA Studio driver which is available for GeForce 10xx cards and newer models only.

Cheers,

Fabien

JaapD

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 03:07:56 am »

... and the driver has only been released for Win10, not Win7.

Regards,
Jaap

FabienP

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 05:57:01 pm »

... and the driver has only been released for Win10, not Win7.

Regards,
Jaap

Indeed, but since Win7 will reach its end of life in six months, I can hardly blame NVIDIA for that. At this point, Microsoft might no longer accept certification of new hardware and drivers for Win7, as it was the case in the last year of support of Win XP.

Cheers,

Fabien

JaapD

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 02:30:36 am »

I agree with you that we can’t blame Nvidia for this. However there is still a huge install base of Win7 systems and because of this it would be ‘decent’ of Nvidia to support the Studio driver on Win7. Shouln't be that different from the Win10 driver, possibly only the installer......

Microsoft will provide extended support on Win7 to the industry so Win7 is not dead yet. It comes at a cost of course. Because of this I don’t expect certification of drivers wil now already be due. This is in line with the continuation in Geforce driver updates for Win7.

Regards,
Jaap.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 06:40:10 am by JaapD »

FabienP

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 04:52:57 pm »

I agree with you that we can’t blame Nvidia for this. However there is still a huge install base of Win7 systems and because of this it would be ‘decent’ of Nvidia to support the Studio driver on Win7. Shouln't be that different from the Win10 driver, possibly only the installer......

Microsoft will provide extended support on Win7 to the industry so Win7 is not dead yet. It comes at a cost of course. Because of this I don’t expect certification of drivers wil now already be due. This is in line with the continuation in Geforce driver updates for Win7.

Regards,
Jaap.

The Windows display driver model was considerably extended in Win10, so these are definitely not the same drivers. They might share a common code base for the capabilities that are present in both operating sytems, though.

The Win7 paid extended support only deals with security patches and will not include the certification of new hardware. Old drivers might be patched for critical security issues but this will depend on manufacturers. Anyway, the extended support is only available for customers with volume licensing agreements, so this is not an option for most of us.

That reminds me that I need to migrate a few people in my family to Win10 in the coming months!

Cheers,

Fabien

Joe Towner

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 09:38:36 pm »

Win7 support of newer hardware has been an issue for a few years now.  For example, Dell with their Optiplex lineup - the 7050's run Win7 great, the 7060's are Win10 only.  There some a point when hardware vendors just say 'pass' to supporting older OSes.  It sucks, really - I still have a XP machine for some old java interfaces that only work in IE8.  Figure I'll have a Win7 for at least another 4-5 years, but if you can't get support for it.

Based on what I'm reading, the Ryzen 3000 units are also Win10 only officially. :(
https://community.amd.com/thread/240176
Slight work around using an older board with the current CPU, but no support for things like PCIe4.
t: @PNWMF
Pages: [1]   Go Up