Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji GF lens issues persist  (Read 1369 times)

jamiemphoto

Fuji GF lens issues persist
« on: July 29, 2019, 04:23:39 pm »

I am about to unhand my FOURTH Fuji GF 63 2.8 in less than a year. I have owned 4 Fuji GF lenses and ALL have failed. I have concurrently used a Kipon Canon EF AF adapter and have had only intermittent issues with it, usually because the adapter can be buggy sometimes. I LOVE the 63mm optically, but I don't know if I can trust it anymore. The early 63s had faulty AF motors, and the issue was supposed to have been remedied, which is why I bought this most recent one new and not open-box. Thankfully it's still under warranty, but I'm already eying a jump back to Hasselblad despite trying my hardest to settle in with the GFX 50s for a couple of years.

Has anyone else had such persistent issues? Fuji's NJ facility didn't even take a second to think it might be the body, so I'm pretty sure it's been a persistent lens issue.

P.S. Also, I do not store it oddly, and have actually gone out of my way to baby this lens in the 7 months I've owned it. It lives in a bag, and I never, ever put pressure on the front element. If it's this sensitive, I think it's trash anyway. A major bummer, especially since Fuji's range does not address the 63mm/50 equiv. range with much attention. My first GF zoom was also a dud. Exact same error. I thought it was the camera, but again, it was only the lens.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Fuji GF lens issues persist
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 10:21:47 pm »

Sorry to hear about your issues.

I have been lucky I guess, all the 7 GF lenses I own have been perfect.

I keep being impressed by their performance and amazed at their price/performance ratio.

Cheers,
Bernard

jamiemphoto

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 11:15:10 pm »

Yeah ... Hopefully I've had the entire run of bad luck for GFX users. I really do love the system! The glass is majestic.

Rand47

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 10:29:59 am »

Four in a row?  Seems unlikely.  I would be wondering about the body since it is the common denominator - even though it seems “impossible” that the body could cause a lens failure. 

As a point of curiosity, how “heavily” used are the 23’s? Do you shoot with them a lot, and regularly - or - light use?  Just trying to get a sense of your situation. 

Sure hope this gets sorted out for you in one way or another.  Frustrating in the extreme to have what is supposed to be first class gear be unreliable. 

I have the 23, but have not used it enough or “often enough” at this point to have experienced any issues with it (or any of my other GF lenses).  Oh, which makes me want to ask another question!  How many other GF lenses to you have, and how heavily are they used, and have you had any problems with any of them?

Hope you get resolution!
Rand
Rand Scott Adams

jamiemphoto

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 11:31:10 pm »

I have the 63 ... I would say its use would qualify as moderate. I shoot with it 2-4 times a week. I still suspect I received an old production run lens and that's why it failed, but I'm not sure. I've also read other people who say no pressure whatsoever can be applied to the front of the barrel. It's something I took pains to avoid, but if placing it carefully in a camera bag 2-4 times a week is too much for it to handle, I have to consider it a bad lens. Thank you for the positive words!
Pages: [1]   Go Up