Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My experience with the Canon M5 as a travel camera.  (Read 796 times)

Charles Johnson

My experience with the Canon M5 as a travel camera.
« on: July 27, 2019, 03:07:20 pm »

In 2017 I wrote an article about switching from a DSLR to a Canon M5 for most travel photography. In that article I reported on my experience documenting a trip to Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast of Italy. I was pleased with the performance of the M5, and the size and weight of the complete kit including three lenses was certainly appreciated. The title of that article is: “Time for a Mirrorless Camera? My experience with the Canon M5.”

Since that time, I have taken the M5 to Tanzania, southern France, Spain, and Sicily. This month I wrote an article entitled: “Update: Travel with a Canon M5 Camera.” Both of these articles can be found at photophys.com
I look forward to comments and suggestions.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Re: My experience with the Canon M5 as a travel camera.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 12:07:02 am »

I enjoyed the two articles which you referenced in your post above. I will go back to read the other articles later. I am not a scientist and don’t plan on doing scientific photography but it looks like it will be an interesting read anyway, particularly the one on star trails.

You asked for feedback and suggestions. You created in my mind the impression that you are comparing DSLR to mirrorless. I believe it misrepresents the reality that you are comparing DSLR to APSC mirrorless. A quite different thing. I have shot DSLR, APSC mirrorless and FF mirrorless. The weight and size saving when going to FF mirrorless from DSLR with lenses and flashes and so on is not as great as what people imagine. I get that ou we’re using some APSC DSLR cameras but the lenses were all FF.

The above sounds overly critical and I don’t mean it that way. All I mean is if you went from DSLR to say the Z6 or Sony 7 series  with the same lenses you would have seen a much more marginal weight saving than you saw going to APSC mirrorless with its tiny lenses. 
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 07:02:20 pm »

Typo: Hotel Marque de Riscal -> Hotel Marqués de Riscal

Charles Johnson

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 02:49:49 pm »

Thanks for the typo.  I think it is corrected now.  I expect there are others.
Pages: [1]   Go Up