Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony  (Read 1377 times)

RBFritz

Sony
« on: July 23, 2019, 08:35:02 pm »

I have a sony rx100mk6 and the highlights are continually blown out whether its cloudy or sunny and I'm shooting away from the sun. Where in the menu is this addressed( I'm a Fuji camera user so this menu control thing is confusing). Thanks.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Sony
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 09:26:36 pm »

There are different metering modes.  Matrix, Center weighted, spot, etc.  Try another mode.    Also there are little flashies that can be set up that show when you blow out the white or the blacks for that matter.  check the menu and op manual. 

PS: I assume you're discussing still shots not video. 

Arlen

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 12:00:45 pm »

Yes, the menu on the Sony RX100 series can be the most frustrating part of using them. Very hard to find what you're looking for. But on the other hand, all those choices do give great flexibility in setting it up how you want it.

As Alan noted, there are a number of ways to avoid overexposing highlights. Here are a few possibilities, described simply; but it's best to research them via a web search to understand their nuances and limitations.

1. Press the Display button on the wheel until you get a screen with the histogram at the lower right. Adjust Exposure Compensation down just enough until there is no spike on the right.

2. Zebra stripes (my favorite; what Alan referred to as flashies). This will put moving "zebra" stripes in areas with blown highlights; you should reduce Exposure Compensation until they disappear. To set it up, press Menu button, go to the Camera2 tab, page 7, and select Zebra. Set it to ON. Adjust Zebra Level to whatever you prefer; it's best to test it at various settings, then look at the images on your computer to see the highlight results, and use whatever setting works best for you. Right now I have mine set to 100+.

3. In the Fn menu, set Metering Mode to Highlight, and adjust Exposure Compensation to +1 to +2. You're trying to "expose to the right", where exposures is as high possible without blowing highlights. Again you need to experiment to see what adjustments work best for you. This one is kind of tricky to set up and use, so definitely google it to get more information. Particularly pay attention to info on the Fred Miranda website. I sometimes use this method in combination with Zebra stripes.

In addition to the manual for this camera, there are several online sites with descriptions/tips for setting up the menu items. Try this one:  https://www.wimarys.com/rx100vi-setup-guide-with-tips-and-tricks/

armand

• Photos
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 11:33:28 am »

I have a sony rx100mk6 and the highlights are continually blown out whether its cloudy or sunny and I'm shooting away from the sun. Where in the menu is this addressed( I'm a Fuji camera user so this menu control thing is confusing). Thanks.

Are the highlights blown on the review screen only or also when you open the raws?

RBFritz

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 06:36:29 pm »

Haven't shot raws as I have nothing in the way of software that will handle them. Thanks Gentlemen for your input , I'll try to work thru those suggestions. The highlights are blown out in jpegs even after compensating for the blinkies, which I have turned on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up