Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Walla Walla  (Read 513 times)

RBFritz

Walla Walla
« on: July 23, 2019, 05:17:27 pm »

Spent last few days in Walla Walla , WA. Wine tasting and test driving the Sony RX100mk6 for trip to Europe. Thoughts on it as a travel camera and also the images it takes. This one I auto balanced in CS4 then backed off the saturation so not really a true pic for critique. B&W ?

katcost

Re: Walla Walla
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 05:33:29 pm »

Maybe crop the sky down - seems a lot of sky which is no where near as wonderful as the foreground.  Love the foreground

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 11:25:34 am »

I use the RX100m4 as a reference cam and it produces great files and the RX100 series is one of my favorites. Your image has a number of problems and it would be difficult to say how they were produced - but it's worth looking into. There is a somewhat abnormal red/purple cast throughout that is most likely from processing - but there is also quite a lot of either color noise or color banding i.e. alternating magenta/green bands. The latter most often is produced by lens and called lens cast - but facsimiles can also be produced especially in skies as in your example through overprocessing. I wouldn't think this would be successful as BW anymore than the color example - the lower part of foreground has some interest - but the upper 3/4s is just alternating light and dark clouds.
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

RBFritz

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 02:08:30 pm »

Thank you Brandt, your thoughts are very helpful. I'll look at with a cropped sky too.

RBFritz

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 02:30:00 pm »

Critiques please.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 02:33:23 pm »

I’m going to be contrarian and say apart from the weird colour banding in the sky I like the composition and balance. I wouldn’t crop it at all. I think the sky also looks a bit magenta red.

Only other thing I would change is I would clone out the little speck/blob thing in the bottom right. It keeps pulling my eye away from the bird.

Just goes to show. We are all different. I’m not fond of the second version at all.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 08:42:57 pm »

Just goes to show. We are all different. I’m not fond of the second version at all.

+1 like the uncropped best.  Maybe i like skies... ( so do what you think is best)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

katcost

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 12:13:41 pm »

I like the cropped version best - it seems more balanced to me.  The skies take up so much of the photo I find myself spending more time there than I should

RBFritz

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 06:12:02 pm »

This is a copy of the original jpg out of the camera without any additional processing from me. The banding is present ( at least on my monitor-calibrated benq) although not prominently. Sony set at fine for jpg, adobe rgb, auto mode-intelligent,auto white balance. Too much auto?

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2019, 07:52:23 pm »

You could shoot RAW and work 16 bit in adobe  or prophoto colorspace.
You will see a difference...   I see formost Jpeg artifacts.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

RBFritz

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 09:12:11 pm »

Kers, my adobe is cs4 as I refuse to pay a monthly fee. I also use LR5.5 and sometimes affinity. My experience with this camera is nothing recognizes it that I have. I will admit I' m technically challenged but I take the memory card out of the sony and put it into a fuji camera in order to download my images. So messing with RAW would probably try my patience to the point of  throwing the computer across the room. Several past iphones can bear witness.
Pages: [1]   Go Up