Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HTS T/S adapter on H6D - any issues?  (Read 1050 times)

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
HTS T/S adapter on H6D - any issues?
« on: July 22, 2019, 07:42:04 am »

I'm just experimenting with an HTS tilt/shift 1.5x adapter on an H6D-50  (28mm lens) and was wondering if there were any particular issues/foibles to be aware of in its use?

I'm very familiar with Canon TS-E lenses, so the movements are not an issue, but any 'usability' related comments/tips would be most welcome...

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Re: HTS T/S adapter on H6D - any issues?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 12:25:47 pm »

No issues whatsoever besides the regular quirks that come with the HTS.

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 01:15:33 pm »

No issues whatsoever besides the regular quirks that come with the HTS.

Er... 'the regular quirks' were what I wanted to know about... ;-)

BAB

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 07:44:45 pm »

the tilt can fool you in the focus area be careful not to drill down the focus to the foreground only you need to double the DOF distance to insure that infinity is sharp. When using the digital back in the field to see the focus area its not (even magnified with a hoodman very accurate.) Using Phocus in the field its spot on, take care of vibrations. Unfortunately Hasselblad WONT put digital focusing numbers in their software that would help a lot even if the numbers aren't 100% accurate. The shift function is though perfect for making stitched images. Oh and if the camera is not 100% level with the 28mm strange bending happens at the horizon which you have to fix by hand not easy depending on the particular image. Also the meter in camera is useless don't depend on it. use the histogram (another mistake by Hasselblad that there is no RAW channel by channel histogram)

barry
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 06:11:08 am »

Thanks Barry

I've only got the kit for a while to experiment with so it all helps.

Interestingly, I was looking at some recent Canon patent applications regarding tilt and shift - one included identifying three points to define a plane that the camera could use to work out the correct tilt and rotation (makes my printed tilt tables look a bit old fashioned) Of course this needs motorised movements in the lens - nice idea, but probably not appearing in a Canon TS-E lens any time soon ;-)

rxchaos

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 10:50:18 am »

I use the HTS+28mm.  The display on the H5D and H6D display indicates the extent of tilt, and I've found getting it to 0° was an effort.  My HTS was sent to Hasselblad for service and this issue has been somewhat better.  The HTS+28mm is a good combination

BAB

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 08:24:16 pm »

Keith
snapi tilt calculator is an app that works, you need to have the lens to ground measurements then with that base measurement all else will be calculated with the app for the tilt settings in degrees. Yes as the OP mentioned the geared movements are not that precise. Also I forgot to mention the WIND plays a factor with the HTS and especially when shooting with 150mm Wine Country Filter Holder in place. I also use the HTS 1.5 with my 50mm ii H lens it works very well. As a second check use the focus peaking just to kinda double check.

AS a side note not that Hasselblad would ever listen but would it be nice to have a HTS so that using a 28mm lens would reverse to a 24 or 21mm lens YEP! or even better how about a solution so the 28mm would be a 28mm wow now that's a novel idea huh...they can't figure out how to do it.

PS there is a company call CapCam that actually make a camera that will use a Hasselblad back and does figure the three axises and adjusts them with micro motors to achieve the perfect plane of focus...I have tried it and its really good...but not outdoors.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 04:00:46 am »

Er... 'the regular quirks' were what I wanted to know about... ;-)

It can be pretty difficult to put the plane of focus exactly where you want it at times. It is a bit hard to see. Over time you will get the feeling on how to do that exactly. Sometimes you need to use the metal block when using a tripod to make the whole contraption fit on the tripod.

Small things like this.

Overall when you get used to the HTS you will find it is an absolute gem.

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 05:56:40 am »

Thanks folks - I only have this on a short loan from Hasselblad, so there's no way you can usually pick up the finer points of practical use in a short time.

Using the tilt/shift is in many ways the easiest bit, since I use Canon TS-E lenses for a large chunk of my day to day work. I've a spreadsheet that makes a custom tilt table for any particular focal length, that as a printed card is (personally) a lot easier to use than any app (which assumes I've got a phone with me - not always true). The  camera gives a good response (with no AA) on my fine printed focal plane card which makes rotating the HTS the right amount relatively simple.

I'm minded to agree about the 1.5x magnification being a bit inconvenient for some uses - it makes the 28mm somewhere around 33mm at '35mm equiv.' and that's pushing things for the smaller spaces I often work in, where 17mm and 24mm is often better suited to my needs.

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
Interesting to use... some notes
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 05:11:13 pm »

Well it's gone back and proved to be an interesting device to use.

The focal length of the 28+HTS is somewhat longer than I'd normally choose, but I was pleased with the results

If anyone's curious I've written up some notes at http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/hasselblad-h6d-50c-and-hts-adapter/  I wouldn't claim to do a detailed review of unfamiliar kit in a week, so it's a fairly broad overview.

What I liked (compared to the various TS-E lenses I regularly use) was the precision in setting, and particularly having the rotation with 15 degree stops rather than the 30 degree steps of the TS-E (which makes setting to 45 degrees imprecise). Locking tilt at zero took a bit more effort than I thought it should, but my only real complaint (and not a huge one) is that the tilt and shift axes are fixed with respect to each other.

Oh, and I could do without that 1.5x focal multiplier - I use shift mostly for architectural work, so wide often helps.

landscapephoto

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 03:08:01 am »

snapi tilt calculator is an app that works, you need to have the lens to ground measurements then with that base measurement all else will be calculated with the app for the tilt settings in degrees. Yes as the OP mentioned the geared movements are not that precise.

If you use an app, you should use the values of tilt displayed on the camera. The scales on the gears are not very accurate, but the internal encoders can be used instead.

BAB

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 03:02:20 pm »

I agree that is one firmware addition given to us before Hasselblad departed to the deep blue abysmal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up