Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GatorBoard in Canada  (Read 1273 times)

jimcamel

• Film from the 70's; digital and computers now.
GatorBoard in Canada
« on: July 21, 2019, 11:06:04 pm »

I am starting to mount Canvas on something other than stretcher bars - and I understand GatorBoard (or GatorFoam) is the substrate to use.  But I can't seem to find it in Canada.  What I can find is something called "Ultra Board Classic", which comes in 4' x 8' sheets, at ½" and has a "polystyrene' surface.  There is also "Ultra Mount" - similar but it is paper-coated.

So my question is what is the surface of Gatorboard ?  I understand it resists warping (e.g. lies essentially flat after an hour or so) when it is covered in a PVA type glue for the glue down but I don't know if that is because it's ½" thick or because of it's surface.

I appreciate that 3/16" foam core warps a lot and my glue experiments with it show exactly that - so I need to get the "gator" style product - just not sure which Ultra.  Ultra mount is about 25% cheaper per sheet - with a sheet of the Classic running about $100CDN.
JC. Photography and computers ... how could that not be great ?

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: GatorBoard in Canada
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 07:51:14 am »

Uline.ca
They have gatorfoam in white and black. A polystyrene surface on both sides with a foam core in the center.
We use the 3/16" size for mounting canvas on sizes 24"x36: and smaller. 3/8" thick for all larger sizes.
Great stuff. We purchase the full size sheets and cut ours down with out sliding tablesaw.
Our sign distributor delivers free. If you get 48x96" full sheets they can only be shipped truck freight.
Check on the smaller sizes they sell you may be able to get those shipped UPS or Fedex.

Garnick

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 08:04:06 am »

I am starting to mount Canvas on something other than stretcher bars - and I understand GatorBoard (or GatorFoam) is the substrate to use.  But I can't seem to find it in Canada.  What I can find is something called "Ultra Board Classic", which comes in 4' x 8' sheets, at ½" and has a "polystyrene' surface.  There is also "Ultra Mount" - similar but it is paper-coated.

So my question is what is the surface of Gatorboard ?  I understand it resists warping (e.g. lies essentially flat after an hour or so) when it is covered in a PVA type glue for the glue down but I don't know if that is because it's ½" thick or because of it's surface.

I appreciate that 3/16" foam core warps a lot and my glue experiments with it show exactly that - so I need to get the "gator" style product - just not sure which Ultra.  Ultra mount is about 25% cheaper per sheet - with a sheet of the Classic running about $100CDN.

Hello Jim,

Although I've never mounted any of the many canvases I've printed, I do realize that some of the folks here on LuLa use such a method with seemingly good results.  As a matter of fact, during the past few years I simply refer my canvas customers to a local framer for stretching and I also have her stretch my own personal canvas prints.  Hopefully one of our members here on LuLa will chime in with some very helpful advise, since he has experimented with various mounting procedures for both paper and canvas prints.  Unfortunately I cannot seem to recall his name at the moment, although I believe his first name is Dan, but I'm sure someone will know who I'm referring to.  Otherwise, I can at least offer some information.  Try this site -- https://www.uline.ca/BL_872/Gatorfoam-Board?pricode=DD774&AdKeyword=gator%20board&AdMatchtype=p&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwIiqnLfI4wIVkZ-fCh0ZLgKTEAAYASAAEgIfNvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds .  I've purchased plastic bags etc. from them for many years with great service.  It's been quite a few years since I've mounted prints on Gator Board, but I definitely advise using the 1/2" especially for canvas, and possible even the 1" board.  It does have a highly compressed paper surface as I recall, that with definitely withstand different types of adhesives, including various forms of glue.

Hope this helps Jim.

EDIT:  Well it seems that Dan and I were both trying to answer your quest for info at the same time.  This is the fellow I mentioned and he has the knowledge you need!  :)  Sorry Dan, I did have your name, but I believe you have changed your screen name since I last read one of your posts.  And I notice you have also mentioned Uline, so we seem to be on the same track.  Interesting that you mention 3/16" for canvas.  I would have thought that to be perhaps too low, but I bow to your expertise.  I also had the surface incorrect, but it has been many years since I used Gator Board/Foam.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 08:15:27 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 10:28:48 am »

Just changed my picture, same name :)

3/16" is plenty for smaller prints when framed.
After Miracle Mucking the canvas to the Gator we lay them on the floor to dry.
They can get a little potato chippy (twisted) until the liquid adhesive dries.
They are then safe to do just about anything you want with them.
Put in a frame or attach a hanger to the back and hang on a wall.
We have quite a few photography enthusiasts that get canvas on Gator for artisan and craft shows.
They can be hung as is keeping the cost down. If a client wants it framed it is a simple task to have framed.
The only other media we attach to Gator is Fine Art Baryta with Seals Print Mount Ultra.
 Two light coats of spray solvent UV protective lacquer makes the image pop and no glass required.

Garnick

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 03:16:55 pm »

One aspect that I declined to mention here is an everlasting question I have asked on this forum in the past.  Of course I realize that everyone has the right to their choice when it comes to having an image printed on canvas as well as the method of displaying that image.  And I have in the past had some conversations with customers who I know will want their canvas print(s) mounted instead of stretched.  Does that stop me from printing their work simply because of their particular decision concerning the method of displaying their canvas?  Of course not.  It's my job to produce a print the customer will be proud to display in whatever manner they wish.  However, the traditional manner of displaying a canvas print / painting is stretched, whether in a frame or a gallery wrap that can also be displayed very creatively as a standalone entity.  I suppose my main question is WHY?  Why pay more for a canvas print and then mount it in the same manner as a paper print?  In my opinion a canvas print should be shown as a canvas print, stretched and displayed.  I'm often asked about canvas printing and the difference from a paper print.  My reply is to ask the questioner to feel the canvas and tap it with on finger.  They are invariably impressed by the texture and the fact that canvas does indeed have a feeling and look all its own, but not so much when mounted as any other type of print.  One adjective I despise due to its usual lack of proof is the word Organic.  However, in this case I will attach that word to a stretched canvas print.  It seems to somehow have a life of its own.

OPINIONS?   :)       
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 03:20:14 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.

mearussi

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 06:10:35 pm »

One aspect that I declined to mention here is an everlasting question I have asked on this forum in the past.  Of course I realize that everyone has the right to their choice when it comes to having an image printed on canvas as well as the method of displaying that image.  And I have in the past had some conversations with customers who I know will want their canvas print(s) mounted instead of stretched.  Does that stop me from printing their work simply because of their particular decision concerning the method of displaying their canvas?  Of course not.  It's my job to produce a print the customer will be proud to display in whatever manner they wish.  However, the traditional manner of displaying a canvas print / painting is stretched, whether in a frame or a gallery wrap that can also be displayed very creatively as a standalone entity.  I suppose my main question is WHY?  Why pay more for a canvas print and then mount it in the same manner as a paper print?  In my opinion a canvas print should be shown as a canvas print, stretched and displayed.  I'm often asked about canvas printing and the difference from a paper print.  My reply is to ask the questioner to feel the canvas and tap it with on finger.  They are invariably impressed by the texture and the fact that canvas does indeed have a feeling and look all its own, but not so much when mounted as any other type of print.  One adjective I despise due to its usual lack of proof is the word Organic.  However, in this case I will attach that word to a stretched canvas print.  It seems to somehow have a life of its own.

OPINIONS?   :)     
You ask why. Two reasons I can think of:
1. a canvas mounted on a board never has to be restretched as it can't sag
2. a canvas is tougher than a paper print and so can be displayed without glass especially if it has been coated with a aqueous acrylic coating like Timeless.
Also it just has a unique look of its own. 

Garnick

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 08:16:47 pm »

You ask why. Two reasons I can think of:
1. a canvas mounted on a board never has to be restretched as it can't sag
2. a canvas is tougher than a paper print and so can be displayed without glass especially if it has been coated with a aqueous acrylic coating like Timeless.
Also it just has a unique look of its own.

Well, as far as #1 is concerned, I have quite a few canvases of my own work, some rather large, and I've never encountered the saggy canvas malady.  Perhaps I've just been lucky, although I tend to connect it to proper time lapse before stretching as well as proper stretching procedures.

#2. All of my own stretched canvases are also tough, and none of my canvases are glazed.

I'm not sure you meant it this way, but my interpretation of your last statement actually fits very well with my way of looking at the situation.  After all, what could be more unique than a properly stretched canvas?  In my opinion that is a perfect example of uniqueness.  A mounted canvas is just another mounted image with a textured finish. 

But again, only my opinion.  Thanks for chiming in with yours.  :)         
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 06:47:58 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
Pages: [1]   Go Up