Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Z7 problems matrix metering bad & blacks are blocked up strongly  (Read 1380 times)

BrianWoolf

After testing the Nikon Z7 for a few days, my first problem was that the blacks were blocking up and detail that I could see with my eye was just inky black with no detail, not what I was expecting from this highly praised camera. This sensor seems to be more contrasty than any I have had on any camera, that includes Panasonic, Fuji, Nikon D300, D7100, D600, D500, plus Leaf & PhaseOne backs. The other problem is the matrix metering is bad, it works ok on even toned subjects, but 50% branches against a 50% overcast gray sky and it under exposes by 2 stops. I have found that what you see in the electronic viewfinder is how your file will look but this means I have to use only Manual.
So am I missing something like a new firmware update or is this not normal and I possibly have a bad camera/sensor.
Thanks,
Brian

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Re: New Z7 problems matrix metering bad & blacks are blocked up strongly
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 02:41:27 pm »

Doesn’t sound right. Not the behavior I have heard from others that are using the camera.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 03:37:38 pm »

After testing the Nikon Z7 for a few days, my first problem was that the blacks were blocking up and detail that I could see with my eye was just inky black with no detail, not what I was expecting from this highly praised camera. This sensor seems to be more contrasty than any I have had on any camera, that includes Panasonic, Fuji, Nikon D300, D7100, D600, D500, plus Leaf & PhaseOne backs. The other problem is the matrix metering is bad, it works ok on even toned subjects, but 50% branches against a 50% overcast gray sky and it under exposes by 2 stops. I have found that what you see in the electronic viewfinder is how your file will look but this means I have to use only Manual.
So am I missing something like a new firmware update or is this not normal and I possibly have a bad camera/sensor.
Thanks,
Brian
Try ( picture control) Neutral - Standard is too contrasty for me. Also you can get a lot of 'dark' information from a 64 asa raw file.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Dan Wells

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 04:52:18 pm »

Could you have your picture control set (accidentally) to something really contrasty (Vivid?)? Are you shooting raw or JPEG?

It also sounds possible that your meter is wonky - I've never had the issue with bad exposures on branches against sky - and I've shot a lot of trees with a Z7...

BrianWoolf

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 05:10:15 pm »

Martin: thought I would be wowed by this camera, just feeling it's OK.

Pieter: the camera was set to auto picture control and I left it on that for the first set of exposures - then changed to Standard, which my D600 was set to. At first  was using a compressed file save and figured that was the problem but no real difference when I changed it to uncompressed.

Dan: I always shoot raw and I thought the Picture control only effected JPGS but will try neutral - what have I got to lose.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 05:45:54 pm »

From Z Guide 101.

Picture Controls
These apply to JPEG images, and to NEF images that you convert using Capture NX-D with the default settings.

Dan Wells

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 09:24:29 pm »

Might be worth having the camera checked out - should wow you compared to a D600...

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 12:09:04 am »

You have owned enough cameras to know I would say. I have a few hundred z6 files on my computer and they are perfectly fine. Don’t know about wow but they are at least as good as my Sony files and that’s my current standard.

I suppose it could be a setting but it could be a camera issue. Could also be something went screwy with work flow if you are evaluating on a computer. What ever it is it doesn’t sound normal to me
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

BrianWoolf

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 04:02:19 pm »

My bad or at least mildly stupid as I didn't check out the Nikon Gallery on the NikonUSA website. It seems that dark blacks are what they intended as a lot of the 102 photos show. I would say that Nikon wants VIVID, CONTRASTY and DRAMATIC photos with very deep Blacks. and I prefer full tonal range. If you wish to see, go to NikonUSA.com > Cameras > Mirrorless > Z7 Photos. M.Corrado had ducks that are shot in a low early or late light, faces are fine back tails feathers are solid black, same for his flying Anhinga. V.Liu has a photo of high rise buildings and the green foreground is black. M.Valberg has a photo of a raccoon, so black under the eyes and nose, that I wouldn't show it.

I find that this camera sort of changes my style, not that I have a predominate visual look.

Martin and Dan: The only digital back that ever wowed me was a Leaf. All I was hoping was to be pleased with the new camera and its files. Guess i will learn to love it and i probably will as it can take nice images

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.
Brian
photo below taken with Z7 very nice just a touch contrasty for my taste.

Dan Wells

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 04:10:14 pm »

Definitely check out the Neutral and Flat (Flat is intended for video, but I think you can use it for stills as well) profiles, and even the individual contrast adjustment beyond that... It's very customizable, and I bet you can get it flatter to start with...

KLaban

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 04:29:07 pm »

My bad or at least mildly stupid as I didn't check out the Nikon Gallery on the NikonUSA website. It seems that dark blacks are what they intended as a lot of the 102 photos show. I would say that Nikon wants VIVID, CONTRASTY and DRAMATIC photos with very deep Blacks. and I prefer full tonal range. If you wish to see, go to NikonUSA.com > Cameras > Mirrorless > Z7 Photos. M.Corrado had ducks that are shot in a low early or late light, faces are fine back tails feathers are solid black, same for his flying Anhinga. V.Liu has a photo of high rise buildings and the green foreground is black. M.Valberg has a photo of a raccoon, so black under the eyes and nose, that I wouldn't show it.

I find that this camera sort of changes my style, not that I have a predominate visual look.

Martin and Dan: The only digital back that ever wowed me was a Leaf. All I was hoping was to be pleased with the new camera and its files. Guess i will learn to love it and i probably will as it can take nice images

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.
Brian
photo below taken with Z7 very nice just a touch contrasty for my taste.

I too would be worried if the images on that Z7 gallery were straight out of my camera, way too saturated and contrasty for my taste.

I haven't touched the Picture Controls in camera largely because I'm led to believe they don't apply to Raw files unless one converts using Capture NX-D with default settings.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 07:45:59 am »

I haven't touched the Picture Controls in camera largely because I'm led to believe they don't apply to Raw files unless one converts using Capture NX-D with default settings.
I have not touched them either since I don't shoot JPGs on my Z 6.  Only process in LR and none of the 300+ images from Canada showed the problems that the OP noted.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 08:17:22 am »

I too would be worried if the images on that Z7 gallery were straight out of my camera, way too saturated and contrasty for my taste.

Personally I shoot neutral; ( so my jpegs are neutral); Yes you can choose in LR various RAW Camera profiles  later on ( same as nikons Picture control) that overules the chosen one in the camera.
I like to start abit on the soft side in LR and make things more contrasty.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

KLaban

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019, 08:30:27 am »

I can't remember ever having shot a jpeg.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 08:44:45 am »

I shoot small jpegs combined with large RAWs so i can more quickly choose the best photos.
I have a fast computer but still i find choosing from RAW too slow.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2019, 04:08:56 pm »

Only on my cellphone and iPad - as far as I know!

:-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up