Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So I purchased a z3200 for $400.... Need some more direction  (Read 1580 times)

Firemedic04

So I picked up a used z3200 in Dallas for $400.  Its a 44".  It has apparently been sitting in a whorehouse for the last 2 years.  I told it was removed in a working environment, used a couple days a week for 3 years.   So I brought it home.  Powers up with no issues.  I figured the print heads were done so I have new ones sitting on a shelf.  Im looking at going through it before printing anything.

Things that are going to be done:
Lots of cleaning I find ink spray everywhere.
Clean the spittoon, that is an easy fix.
New Belt
New cutter assembly
Aerosol fan
clean and lubricate rails and carriage. 
Replace oilier

Now I know the service station is going to need attention.  Is refurbishment by me possible. Are the parts to replace on the service station obtainable. Im pretty sure the pads are full and the wipers are hard and breaking down. As, several of the print heads were found to be torn.

Anything that I am missing? Any leads would be awesome.   

deanwork

Re: So I purchased a z3200 for $400.... Need some more direction
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 08:30:27 pm »

Sounds like those hookers were lazy and didn’t maintain it.

Shame on them leaving ink splattered all around in there.

Hard to know unless you take it apart, which isn’t difficult - just follow instructions

http://z3200.com/Repairing_HP-Z-Series_Printers-Intro-Z3200.com_Mark_Lindquist.htm

Just clean out all the dust and dried ink, put in those parts and crank it up.

The smart thing you are doing is replacing all the heads.

I restored a z3100 this year after not using for nearly a year, and the good news is the ink lines are a closed system and no air can get in the lines and dry. So between the ink carts and heads should be fine.

Be sure to shake the inks really good and replace the ones that are low.

When you replace the belt see if the carriage moves across smoothly.

If you need parts check on eBay, otherwise all parts are available new.

John

So I picked up a used z3200 in Dallas for $400.  Its a 44".  It has apparently been sitting in a whorehouse for the last 2 years.  I told it was removed in a working environment, used a couple days a week for 3 years.   So I brought it home.  Powers up with no issues.  I figured the print heads were done so I have new ones sitting on a shelf.  Im looking at going through it before printing anything.

Things that are going to be done:
Lots of cleaning I find ink spray everywhere.
Clean the spittoon, that is an easy fix.
New Belt
New cutter assembly
Aerosol fan
clean and lubricate rails and carriage. 
Replace oilier

Now I know the service station is going to need attention.  Is refurbishment by me possible. Are the parts to replace on the service station obtainable. Im pretty sure the pads are full and the wipers are hard and breaking down. As, several of the print heads were found to be torn.

Anything that I am missing? Any leads would be awesome.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 06:26:56 am »

Congratulations!
You can do all that on your list or first see what the printer really needs at the moment.
if it prints...
Just print some diagnostic prints and then you know. my favourite is the nozzle check print- you find it in the service menu /advanced diagnostic print
I would not replace the belt if it is not necessary-you can check that in a blink- lot of work to replace it.
check the life counters  also in the service menu...
best! of luck!
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Firemedic04

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 07:26:02 am »

Sounds like those hookers were lazy and didn’t maintain it.

:D :-[
LOL Auto correct got me again.  Wish I could spell.  The "warehouse" was a recycling center.  a bit dusty.  But I think it will clean up well. 
Thank you for the reply.

deanwork

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 11:43:22 am »

That’s what they call “artificial intelligence”.

:D :-[
LOL Auto correct got me again.  Wish I could spell.  The "warehouse" was a recycling center.  a bit dusty.  But I think it will clean up well. 
Thank you for the reply.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 09:43:59 am »

Welcome to the forum Firemedic.

Looking at your to do list, I would recommend doing all the least invasive things first without replacing the belt, etc., and go ahead and get it cleaned up as much as possible, then just print.
For all you know, the belt may have a lot of life left in it.  I usually take a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" position before tearing into the printer, unless of course, it's a total tear down and rebuild.

Running it would give you time to suss out how it's working and see if there are additional issues needing attention.

Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 04:12:16 am »

You sound up to the challenge. Ink aerosol spray was always a problem with HP printers. So much so that the glycol eats away at the drive belt. The position belt though usually can be cleaned and seems to last. Lubricating the head transport rails and bushings is a very good thing to do. The service station is likely finished. You'll have to hope that the alignement can be done as if the heads were resisting being parked it may be hard to get back within spec. I wouldn't replace the drive belt if you don't need to as it is pretty much a strip down job that is long and not completely user doable ( resetting some basic fundamental head information is only possible with a technician plugging into the Unix system.

Firemedic04

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 09:29:37 pm »

Hello everyone,
I now have my printer up going and have done a few things but was looking to get the designjet utility (the current one from the hp site) up and going to work on the profiles and some other things. There seems to be an issue with the current drivers and windows 10. The drivers install great and I can initiate a test print with out problem. I can access the web interface, but I cannot get the utility to recognize the printer on the network. Has anyone had to work around this issue?

Firemedic04

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 01:00:26 pm »

Does any one have an older version of the designjet utility that they could send me? Ive got my older windows 7 machine going but the version they show on the site no longer supports z3200! Please?

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 06:42:36 pm »

Does any one have an older version of the designjet utility that they could send me? Ive got my older windows 7 machine going but the version they show on the site no longer supports z3200! Please?

This is a known issue with the latest 64 bit version of the DesignJet Utility for Win 10. I was never able to fix it on my install either. I wrote HP and submitted a ticket as well. No reply

sportmaster

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 07:41:32 pm »

I use the HP Utility version 1.17.0.3 with Win 10 64 and it works fine.   

One issue I have never solved is that my HP z3200 printer will crash if left connected to the Ethernet network for several hours.  I then have to pull the format board to reset.  My solution is to only connect the Ethernet when I am printing.

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2019, 05:46:03 pm »

I use the HP Utility version 1.17.0.3 with Win 10 64 and it works fine.   

One issue I have never solved is that my HP z3200 printer will crash if left connected to the Ethernet network for several hours.  I then have to pull the format board to reset.  My solution is to only connect the Ethernet when I am printing.

That version does not appear available anymore on HP's site.

sportmaster

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 08:13:56 am »

Over time I downloaded and archived firmware, drivers, printer utility versions. All Windows based. For the plain Z3100 and the Z3200-PS. AFAIK Printer Utility is universal for both printers. I am still running W7 for printing, PU installed is 1.17.0.3. The problem is that I can not see which compressed install version I used for it and how much dependency there is to the drivers and printer firmware for this Printer Utility.

BTW next to oiing the rod for the headcarriage + the internal dispenser for the rear carriage bushing (oiled felt tongue), you can add dish wash soap at the points where the maintenace station has to glide on. Many of the errors are caused by delays in movements of these parts and not so much that they no longer are able to perform their tasks.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 08:20:47 am by Ernst Dinkla »

deanwork

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 08:58:13 am »

Ernst is it possible to do larger 1750 patch profiles on the plain non APS z3100 with the right utility and firmware?

John

Over time I downloaded and archived firmware, drivers, printer utility versions. All Windows based. For the plain Z3100 and the Z3200-PS. AFAIK Printer Utility is universal for both printers. I am still running W7 for printing, PU installed is 1.17.0.3. The problem is that I can not see which compressed install version I used for it and how much dependency there is to the drivers and printer firmware for this Printer Utility.

BTW next to oiing the rod for the headcarriage + the internal dispenser for the rear carriage bushing (oiled felt tongue), you can add dish wash soap at the points where the maintenace station has to glide on. Many of the errors are caused by delays in movements of these parts and not so much that they no longer are able to perform their tasks.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2019, 09:06:00 am »

Ernst is it possible to do larger 1750 patch profiles on the plain non APS z3100 with the right utility and firmware?

John

Uncoupled the Z3100 since some months so I do not know (anymore). But Pieter Kers should know, Mac based his system so maybe different too.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2019, 01:47:25 pm »

John

Pretty sure. Yes. But... you still have to convert the .csv or .txt files to ICC profiles using a third party program such as Argyll or Drop RGB from Basic Color just like when using color measurement in the Utility.

Mark

Pretty much any utility via Windows XP- Win 10 will work with the spectro.  Same with the Mac systems - from about snow leopard through Sierra or High Sierra.
The Utility is pretty standardized and is not driver dependent.  So you could use a Windows XP Utility with a Win 10 Driver with no issues.
FWIW/YMMV.

Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2019, 06:31:27 am »

John

yes , but i bought the infamous APS additional program to do more patches than the standard 400+ .
I can feed it with a 1700+ patch. ( it was designed for a 900+ patch)
the APS program however only works with 10.6 on a mac ( so very bad service from HP and X-rite)  and you need a dongle- (usb colorimeter that broke down after 2 years- now its only a dongle)
So it is not an easy road. Maybe there are alternatives i am not aware of.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

deanwork

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2019, 01:50:42 pm »

What if you printed out the 1700 patch target on the Z3100 and Fed it into the z3200 APS PS to make the reading and generate the icc profile for the z3100, and do the normal “calibration”  ( linearization) on the z3100.

John

yes , but i bought the infamous APS additional program to do more patches than the standard 400+ .
I can feed it with a 1700+ patch. ( it was designed for a 900+ patch)
the APS program however only works with 10.6 on a mac ( so very bad service from HP and X-rite)  and you need a dongle- (usb colorimeter that broke down after 2 years- now its only a dongle)
So it is not an easy road. Maybe there are alternatives i am not aware of.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2019, 01:59:18 pm »

What if you printed out the 1700 patch target on the Z3100 and Fed it into the z3200 APS PS to make the reading and generate the icc profile for the z3100, and do the normal “calibration”  ( linearization) on the z3100.

John
yes that would work
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: [1]   Go Up