Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Z7 with TechArt TZR-01 Adapter and APO Lenses  (Read 2380 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Nikon Z7 with TechArt TZR-01 Adapter and APO Lenses
« on: July 11, 2019, 11:46:14 pm »

I wanted to compare a group of high-quality APO lenses as used on the Nikon Z7 Camera with the new Voigtlander 65mm and Voigtlander 110mm APO lenses.

I shot both single shot photos at f/8 and stacked images as well, but am only showing here the single-shot images at f/8 since stacked images involve too much color changes, etc. to put folks here through. The stacked images also look good too, but take special color handling.

The lenses are:

Voigtlander 65mm APO-Lanthar f/2.0
Voigtlander 110mm APO-Lanthar f/2.5

And on the FTZ or Cambo Actus Mini:

Nikkor “O” CRT f/1.2
Printing Nikkor 95mm APO f/2.8
Lecia 100mm Elmarit-R f/2.8
Voigtlander 125mm APO-Lanthar f/2.5
Schneider Macro-Varon 85mm f/4.5
El Nikkor APO 105mm f/5.6

The Coneflower was photographed in similar natural light. No sharpening, color crunching, or retouching was done on the images.

These are just as they came out of the Nikon Z7, with enough Levels to make them all about equal in light distribution.

What have I learned from this:

I have learned that all of these lenses, including the new Voigtlanders look pretty good. I did note that perhaps the early bellows lenses (APO El Nikor 105 and the Schneider Macro-Varon APO 85mm) are not as up-to-date as to color as some of the other lenses. You be the judge and tell me.

This may or may not be useful. It was helpful to me.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Re: Nikon Z7 with TechArt TZR-01 Adapter and APO Lenses
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 11:49:40 pm »

MORE

I wanted to compare a group of high-quality APO lenses as used on the Nikon Z7 Camera with the new Voigtlander 65mm and Voigtlander 110mm APO lenses.

I shot both single shot photos at f/8 and stacked images as well, but am only showing here the single-shot images at f/8 since stacked images involve too much color changes, etc. to put folks here through. The stacked images also look good too, but take special color handling.

The lenses are:

Voigtlander 65mm APO-Lanthar f/2.0
Voigtlander 110mm APO-Lanthar f/2.5

And on the FTZ or Cambo Actus Mini:

Nikkor “O” CRT f/1.2
Printing Nikkor 95mm APO f/2.8
Lecia 100mm Elmarit-R f/2.8
Voigtlander 125mm APO-Lanthar f/2.5
Schneider Macro-Varon 85mm f/4.5
El Nikkor APO 105mm f/5.6

The Coneflower was photographed in similar natural light. No sharpening, color crunching, or retouching was done on the images.

These are just as they came out of the Nikon Z7, with enough Levels to make them all about equal in light distribution.

What have I learned from this:

I have learned that all of these lenses, including the new Voigtlanders look pretty good. I did note that perhaps the early bellows lenses (APO El Nikor 105 and the Schneider Macro-Varon APO 85mm) are not as up-to-date as to color as some of the other lenses. You be the judge and tell me.

This may or may not be useful. It was helpful to me.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 01:00:17 pm »

Here is a problem.

I just got the Venus Laowa 100mm F/2.8 2X Ultra Macro APO Lens for Sony FE and put the TechArt TZE-01 adapter on it for use on the Nikon Z 7.

The corded remote switch won't trigger the shutter nor will pressing the shutter release on the Z7. I can focus fine (manual) and adjust the shutter speed, etc. But no picture gets recorded. Any ideas?

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 06:16:01 pm »

I would guess that for some reason that the back of the lens (but not the other manual lenses) is shorting a contact on the adapter and messing with the camera.  I've had a problem (not the same symptoms) with an adapter on my Sony and chose to use a dremel after checking with tape to confirm the problem.

To test that theory you can tape over the adapter contacts on the lens side

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 06:25:24 pm »

I would guess that for some reason that the back of the lens (but not the other manual lenses) is shorting a contact on the adapter and messing with the camera.  I've had a problem (not the same symptoms) with an adapter on my Sony and chose to use a dremel after checking with tape to confirm the problem.

To test that theory you can tape over the adapter contacts on the lens side

Can you be a little more detailed or show a picture. I might try that.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 06:44:35 pm »

I  don't have that adapter but they are all similar.  Just cut a sliver/strip of thin tape in the shape of the area of the contact strip on the back of the adapter (lens side) and cover the contacts (with a little overlap to ensure it sticks to the adapter).
It's not something to keep on the adapter for many removals but would be good enough to test.

If that's not clear let me know and I'll tape one of mine and post a pic..

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 07:37:06 pm »

I  don't have that adapter but they are all similar.  Just cut a sliver/strip of thin tape in the shape of the area of the contact strip on the back of the adapter (lens side) and cover the contacts (with a little overlap to ensure it sticks to the adapter).
It's not something to keep on the adapter for many removals but would be good enough to test.

If that's not clear let me know and I'll tape one of mine and post a pic..

I will try tomorrow. Babysitting 5-year old granddaughter at the moment and its over 90-degrees F and no air.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 03:52:45 am »

I'm going to modify the suggestion that you tape the adapter contacts and suggest you tape the back of the lens.  I checked one of my adapters (Sigma MC-11 for EOS-Sony) and the adapter has raised sprung pins, while the lens has flat contacts.  The raised pins would be awkward to tape over.  The lens you have does not have any contacts so it should be easier to to tape (and have the tape stick).  You'll just need to ensure you cover the part of the lens that will rotate over the contacts once connected.  You could use one of your lenses with contacts to match the spot.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 07:05:52 am »

I'm going to modify the suggestion that you tape the adapter contacts and suggest you tape the back of the lens.  I checked one of my adapters (Sigma MC-11 for EOS-Sony) and the adapter has raised sprung pins, while the lens has flat contacts.  The raised pins would be awkward to tape over.  The lens you have does not have any contacts so it should be easier to to tape (and have the tape stick).  You'll just need to ensure you cover the part of the lens that will rotate over the contacts once connected.  You could use one of your lenses with contacts to match the spot.

TGhanks. If you get the time, a photo would be a help.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 09:38:01 am »

I didn't add tape but I think you'll get the idea.

On the right is my adapter.  You can see the pins at the bottom
At the top left is a lens with contacts
At the bottom left is a lens with no contacts (like your lens)

Align the connection dots on both lenses with and without contacts.  Then put tape on the lens with no contacts at the same area as the lens with contacts (highlighted).
The tape should then prevent any metal from touching the pins on the adapter.
If it works you could try priming and painting the same area on the lens, or you could switch to a dumb adapter.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 09:48:50 am »

I didn't add tape but I think you'll get the idea.

On the right is my adapter.  You can see the pins at the bottom
At the top left is a lens with contacts
At the bottom left is a lens with no contacts (like your lens)

Align the connection dots on both lenses with and without contacts.  Then put tape on the lens with no contacts at the same area as the lens with contacts (highlighted).
The tape should then prevent any metal from touching the pins on the adapter.
If it works you could try priming and painting the same area on the lens, or you could switch to a dumb adapter.

Thanks. I get the idea and will try that. A dumb adapter is probably what I need, to go with the photographer. LOL.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 09:54:56 am »

Yes, they are pretty cheap.  Painting might not be too good an idea come to think of it, if the lens is touching the pins then it will likely scrape paint off eventually.  Not good ...

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2019, 10:29:43 am »

Reading the forums, etc. the Pixco adapter for adapting Sone-E to Nikon-7 is said by one unhappy buyer to spew black specs on the sensor, causing a real problem. That adapter should be CAREFULLY and totally inspected and cleaned before using it, IMO.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2019, 10:45:35 am »

If the tape works then perhaps a thin layer of epoxy glue in the same place instead of paint.  Should not shed as long as the right type (for metal) is used.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2019, 10:50:43 am »

Couldn't get the tape to work so far.

Laowa 100mm F/2.8 2X Ultra Macro APO Lens for Sony FE

Trying to get the above lens to work with the TechArt TZE-01 adapter. It won't fire the shutter release.

I wrote to the company and they responded:

"You may need to select in the manual. Toggle on the "Release shutter without lens."

This may be a generic remark, but I don't know where with the Z7 that can be set. Any ideas?

What I need is a dumb adapter.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2019, 11:50:42 am »

Too bad the tape didn't work, 
I think you must have it set to release without lens as some of the lenses you've listed and used don't have contacts (the printing Nikon and CRT for example).  It should be in the manual somewhere though to verify. 

One other possibility is that the little processor in the adapter might be forcing the camera to look for a lens and even though you have it set to ignore, it won't take the image.  You can verify this by removing the lens + adapter and see if it takes an image, then put the adapter on by itself and take an image.  If the camera by itself takes an image but not with the adapter then the adapter is the problem and a dumb one is the way to go.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2019, 01:04:09 pm »

Too bad the tape didn't work, 
I think you must have it set to release without lens as some of the lenses you've listed and used don't have contacts (the printing Nikon and CRT for example).  It should be in the manual somewhere though to verify. 

One other possibility is that the little processor in the adapter might be forcing the camera to look for a lens and even though you have it set to ignore, it won't take the image.  You can verify this by removing the lens + adapter and see if it takes an image, then put the adapter on by itself and take an image.  If the camera by itself takes an image but not with the adapter then the adapter is the problem and a dumb one is the way to go.

I have a dumb adapter on order. I can't find anything in the Nikon Z7 manual about releasing the shutter to take an image.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2019, 01:31:41 pm »

It's an odd term that I think Sony came up with, but it simply allows the camera to take a photo even if it doesn't detect a lens electronically. 

The fact that you have taken images already with dumb lenses indicates that either Nikon don't have an on/off menu option for this, or that wherever its buried it's already set to allow it.

I took a look at the manual and couldn't find a setting for it either.  Like I said you could test the camera alone and with just the adapter to narrow it down.

There's a long Z help thread on FM that I'd suggest posting a question on .. may help
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1559075/0

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2019, 08:38:42 am »

It's an odd term that I think Sony came up with, but it simply allows the camera to take a photo even if it doesn't detect a lens electronically. 

The fact that you have taken images already with dumb lenses indicates that either Nikon don't have an on/off menu option for this, or that wherever its buried it's already set to allow it.

I took a look at the manual and couldn't find a setting for it either.  Like I said you could test the camera alone and with just the adapter to narrow it down.

There's a long Z help thread on FM that I'd suggest posting a question on .. may help
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1559075/0

The Z7 will release the shutter without a lens in some modes: M, A, S, and P; not in Auto. (I’ve been experimenting with free-hand-holding lenses, and these modes all work for that.) So I think the issue must be how the techart deals with no signal from the lens. Does it work with any non-chipped lens?
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up