Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (Rediscover) Astrophotography – Next Steps  (Read 1848 times)

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
(Rediscover) Astrophotography – Next Steps
« on: July 11, 2019, 03:13:35 pm »

I vividly remember reading this post originally back in 2014, and feeling inspired.  As events unfolded in the following years, I kept coming back to this article in my mind.  Michael was so motivated and determined to move this tangential passion forward.  It left me wondering if he was able to take his pursuit of astrophotography further, or whether it was left swept up in the course of time and fate.

Either way, the lessons run deep.  A life well lived.  Pursuit of passion carried to it's end.  A legacy which continues to inspire those still bearing this mortal coil.

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
Re: (Rediscover) Astrophotography – Next Steps
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 03:42:03 pm »

I vividly remember reading this post originally back in 2014, and feeling inspired.  As events unfolded in the following years, I kept coming back to this article in my mind.  Michael was so motivated and determined to move this tangential passion forward.  It left me wondering if he was able to take his pursuit of astrophotography further, or whether it was left swept up in the course of time and fate.

Either way, the lessons run deep.  A life well lived.  Pursuit of passion carried to it's end.  A legacy which continues to inspire those still bearing this mortal coil.

In his last months, up in an a penthouse condo, in a newly renovated building which he was living in, he would take photos of the heavens. A telescope with his rig was set up to allow for automation from his bed/laptop.

In my teens I dug a trench and walk-way for him from our home to the water, where his telescope was stabilized on Muskoka meta volcanic shield rock. A natural platform jutting over the lake. We would look at the stars there, and occasionally the aurora or a great meteor shower would add to the show.
Compassion and wisdom are inextricably linked.

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 03:45:48 pm »

Thank you for sharing, Josh.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 04:24:59 am »

I am enjoying these rediscovered pieces of wisdom and inspiration, thanks for sharing. A couple of weeks ago I inaugurated my star season here in Portugal, with a star trail. Looking forward to the rest of the summer.

Richowens

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 02:50:31 am »

As fascinating the second time around as it was when first published. Thank you Josh.

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 10:25:02 am »

Josh,
What an amazing childhood you had.  I remember one of the Lightroom videos Michael and Jeff were in where your music was used to show the slideshow function.  I believe your dad said he would take you out for lunch in return. 

On a side note.  Here in Yosemite, Michael Frye does some amazing astro-landscape photography.  It could make for a good article. 

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 04:21:47 pm »

Josh,
What an amazing childhood you had.  I remember one of the Lightroom videos Michael and Jeff were in where your music was used to show the slideshow function.  I believe your dad said he would take you out for lunch in return. 

On a side note.  Here in Yosemite, Michael Frye does some amazing astro-landscape photography.  It could make for a good article.

Yes, there were certainly some cool benefits.
I’ll look into Michael Frye!
Also - funny memory about my scoring one of the videos for a free lunch ! Ha.
In fact, the newest vid has my music at the end 😉

kimballistic

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 08:07:09 pm »

RJ Franklin is another one to watch, and he specializes in astro-landscape way more than Frye.  RJ is starting to make a name for himself in the local community here.  His print business has exploded in the past 1-2 years.  Very good dude as well.

https://www.facebook.com/rjxfranklin
https://rjfranklin.com
https://www.reddit.com/user/franklinsteinnn/posts/?sort=top

Attached is his latest work.  He won't mind if I post it here (it's already public on FB).

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 10:08:07 pm »

Yes, I'm impressed with RJ's energy and I have seen a number of wonderful images posted on FB. However, I still have not seen the prints - the true acid test.  He is young and I look forward to seeing more of his work, but the JPEG medium is much different than a fine art print.  Printing is half the battle.  Just my opinion.  But yes, this guy has some real potential. 

kimballistic

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 12:42:21 am »

Yes, I'm impressed with RJ's energy and I have seen a number of wonderful images posted on FB. However, I still have not seen the prints - the true acid test.  He is young and I look forward to seeing more of his work, but the JPEG medium is much different than a fine art print.  Printing is half the battle.  Just my opinion.  But yes, this guy has some real potential.

Totally agree.

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 04:31:07 pm »

RJ Franklin is another one to watch, and he specializes in astro-landscape way more than Frye.  RJ is starting to make a name for himself in the local community here.  His print business has exploded in the past 1-2 years.  Very good dude as well.

https://www.facebook.com/rjxfranklin
https://rjfranklin.com
https://www.reddit.com/user/franklinsteinnn/posts/?sort=top

Stunning. Composite like, but not. Appreciated. I'll go deeper into his stuff aswell.
J
Pages: [1]   Go Up