Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BenQ in-depth monitor reviews  (Read 2580 times)

hurodal

• My website
BenQ in-depth monitor reviews
« on: July 11, 2019, 01:29:31 pm »

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. Just wanted to share the reviews I did about some BenQ monitors, just in case you're interested:

SW240: https://www.hugorodriguez.com/blog/reviews/benq-sw240-gourmet-wine-at-soft-drink-price/

SW271: https://www.hugorodriguez.com/blog/reviews/benq-sw271-4k-power-condensed-in-27/

I've also did review the PG2401, the SW2700 and the SW320 but didn't translate into english.

Hope you find them useful.
Hugo Rodriguez

Coloratti member | PhaseOne certified professional | BenQ Ambassador

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
Re: BenQ in-depth monitor reviews
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 09:04:26 am »

Nice review, really total coverage of details, menus etc. I'll look later at the 320. IT was helpful as I am about to publish my SW270C review.
The only thing I saw at the beginning is the 271 placed the 2700PT. Actually it didn't the new just released 270C is the replacement. It is likely that both will stay in the channel until stocks have been sold. The improvements in the 270C are worthwhile, and unless a SW2700PT is heavily discounted, the obvious choice will be the new monitor. USB C and very fine uniformity are the two key features!

hurodal

• My website
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 07:04:32 am »

Thanks Neil,

I already published the SW320 but only in spanish:
https://www.hugorodriguez.com/blog/reviews/benq-sw320-el-nuevo-estandarte-de-la-marca/

I have here the new 270C and I have to review it these days. It's a good improvement over the SW2700, indeed. BenQ is doing great work for sure.
Hugo Rodriguez

EinstStein

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 03:34:24 am »

Any comment on BENQ SW240 and HP Dreamcolor Z24X.
According to B&H, Z24X has better color pallet but more expensive (SW240=$399, Z24X=$530) and is out of stock.
Newegg has Z24x for only $377 and is ready to ship. I have a little concern if Newegg's deal is too good tom be true. 

deanwork

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 07:09:03 pm »

It looks like sw320 has been discontinued according to BH Photo in NY. So BenQ is no longer offering a 32inch 4K display that covers most of 1998 RGB ? They have one for designers that costs $600.00 but doesn’t seem to be a photographers display. Were there issues with the sw320 ?

What is the biggest bang for the buck in this size now, LG?

John

Thanks Neil,

I already published the SW320 but only in spanish:
https://www.hugorodriguez.com/blog/reviews/benq-sw320-el-nuevo-estandarte-de-la-marca/

I have here the new 270C and I have to review it these days. It's a good improvement over the SW2700, indeed. BenQ is doing great work for sure.

hurodal

• My website
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 05:54:20 am »

Any comment on BENQ SW240 and HP Dreamcolor Z24X.
According to B&H, Z24X has better color pallet but more expensive (SW240=$399, Z24X=$530) and is out of stock.
Newegg has Z24x for only $377 and is ready to ship. I have a little concern if Newegg's deal is too good tom be true.

The Z24x is a scam. It's sold with 'Dreamcolor' feature but it has nothing but a simple HP software to calibrate that doesn't do anything that the Z27 does. The SW240 beats it in every single aspect.
Hugo Rodriguez

hurodal

• My website
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 05:55:45 am »

It looks like sw320 has been discontinued according to BH Photo in NY. So BenQ is no longer offering a 32inch 4K display that covers most of 1998 RGB ? They have one for designers that costs $600.00 but doesn’t seem to be a photographers display. Were there issues with the sw320 ?

What is the biggest bang for the buck in this size now, LG?

John

Take a look at the US benq webpage directly. Here in EU it's still available...
Hugo Rodriguez

uptownguydenver

• Denverphotoscapes
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 01:52:33 pm »

Thank you for the review of the SW271. I have heard others talk about how good it is. I am looking for a second monitor for my iMac Retina 5k. I will be doing mostly Capture One Pro and using the second monitor for a full screen viewer.
Will there be an issue of going back and forth between the 5K iMac and the 4K SW271 because of the resolution difference?

Thank you, Larry
Phase One Certified Professional. Available for Digital-Tech and photo assistant work in the Denver

hurodal

• My website
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 07:02:22 am »

You're welcome Larry.

I haven't worked in front of a 5K yet, and given that the resolution is beyond our visual resolution at a normal distance, switching to 4K will only lead to a graphic card less stressed :-)
Hugo Rodriguez

hurodal

• My website
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 07:03:22 am »

Btw: I've just published my in-depth review of the new SW270C, but still in spanish. Wait a few weeks and I'll publish the english version:

https://www.hugorodriguez.com/blog/reviews/benq-sw270c-el-punetazo-definitivo-sobre-la-mesa/
Hugo Rodriguez

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 01:31:13 pm »

Nice review Hugo.  Google chrome translates it to English quite well!

As for calibration, what is the final contrast ratio?  I don't think I saw that in the review...
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

hurodal

• My website
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 07:18:30 am »

Thanks Bruce!

The contrast appears in page 5, right in the beginning, but you're right, I forgot to put the value: 1:740. I'll add it. It's totally stable through the entire range of brightness.
Hugo Rodriguez

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 03:23:42 pm »

Thanks Bruce!

The contrast appears in page 5, right in the beginning, but you're right, I forgot to put the value: 1:740. I'll add it. It's totally stable through the entire range of brightness.

Hmm. 1:740 is a little bit low contrast.  My old Eizo gets 1:960 and the newer ones near 1:1500.  For still photography and paper printing, the low contrast is probably not a big issue.  But, for motion picture work, it's not so good as the blacks will look a bit washed out.

Thanks for the review and contrast info!
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

hurodal

• My website
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 03:59:09 pm »

Your 'old Eizo' probably has lower contrast than that announced.

Manufacturers announce the contrast without uniformization system and in the best case. They also inflate the numbers a bit. But when you test it in real world, it always give lower values.
The uniformization system always lowers the contrast quite a lot because of the way it works. But what matters is that it's much more desirable a uniformized screen with 'low' contrast than a non-uniformized with higher contrast.
The problem is that we cannot measure the real contrast of the SW270C because there's no way we can deactivate the uniformization system.

Can you tell me which EIZO exactly is, so I can search for real values?

Anyway, 1:740 is not that much below 1:960. You have to remember that is a geometric scale, not arithmetic. That means the SW270C is 9.5 steps and the EIZO 9.9 steps. So the difference is about a 4%. Not that much, huh?  ;-)
Hugo Rodriguez

Pages: [1]   Go Up