Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Politics -  (Read 3772 times)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
Re: Politics -
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2019, 08:57:46 am »

The simple answer, Keith, is that the bun-fights are more interesting than another guy's new lens.

Rob

I can't help feeling that for some here the bun-fights hold more interest than making images.

Manoli

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2019, 09:11:25 am »

I can't help feeling that for some here the bun-fights hold more interest than making images.

Possibly, yes.
As Schewe said on the ‘other’ site

I’m excited to have a forum for me to go to again!
Looking forward to pithy and enriched discussion and debate (and mud wrestling…I missed mud wrestling) “

but at least he was a wealth of invaluable information!
(Actually, also a pussycat below the gruff exterior - just don’t let on that you know!)

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2019, 09:40:42 am »

Rob, Keith,

Go back a few years snd read some of the old threads. It wasn’t politics, more current affairs - everything from hi-fi , wine, the Canadian health service and more. In fact some of the biggest (and more entertaining) bust-ups were both pro and photography related.

I won’t even mention the threads on RAW V DNG.
Good old days , when humour wasn’t drowned in male testosterone.

But hey, there are no more current affairs other than stupidly oversized cruise ships causing mayhem in Venice. Gone are the juicy days of Profumo, Mandy Rice-Davies and the rather exquisite Christine Keeler (who has a dam named after her - I think) and in their place just sordid politicians playing the main chance; the delightful peccadillos of the past have become venal and devoid of the saving glimmer of exoticism. I blame the music.

Pro photography is fading into the rarified stratosphere within which few of us have the lungs to breath; what's there to say about the high street guys that you want to know? I'd rather just shoot more dirty windows - or even wash them.

You mentioned hi-fi: I don't even use my system anymore. The most interaction comes when I have to dust it. My music is all iPad and earphones, and so much more varied and convenient: I can even listen having lunch somewhere just as long as the place is wi-fi alive (or weefee, as it's called here). Wine: love it, but it's now out of bounds after a single glass of red per day. As I only have one meal per day, and only home-cook once a week, I have abandoned buying wine for the home, and have started to buy six-packs of San Miguel instead, as they don't go off in the manner that does wine when you open it and use but a glass a week! And I don't even like beer. But with my cooking, I need something drastic to wash it down.

Don't recall anything old about the Canadian Health Service, but that must have been political too, surely?

Really, I do believe that the trouble is that the newness has gone, and there's not a lot to replace it. I can remember being absolutely thrilled at being able to chat with somebody in Australia, America of South Arfica as if they were next door, all within the space of ten minutes and get replies, too. Today, who's impresed by any of that? And I think that lack of amazement leads to stagnation.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2019, 10:41:27 am »

Some of us keep making (and posting) images, but nobody seems to care.

Rob C

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2019, 10:53:35 am »

Of course not; it's our own stuff that interests us as amateurs: we do not live in a really competitive atmosphere but in one where platitude is enough. It just does't matter what the other fellow can or can not do: we will still eat.

Also, running on automatic is not even its own reward: been there, done that - possibly done with that... frankly, I think I get more pleasure now from the pen than the camera. The pen does not limit me to my immediate conditions, thank goodness.

The camera limits me to the quality of whom I can put before it; with my mind I can imagine anything I want to imagine including too much that I'd rather not.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 10:57:13 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2019, 11:06:30 am »

Possibly, yes.
As Schewe said on the ‘other’ site

I’m excited to have a forum for me to go to again!
Looking forward to pithy and enriched discussion and debate (and mud wrestling…I missed mud wrestling) “

but at least he was a wealth of invaluable information!
(Actually, also a pussycat below the gruff exterior - just don’t let on that you know!)

I miss Schewe as much as he misses me. I never found him somebody with whom I could find any relationship. Most of the guys in the tech area are like that, with the exception of a couple that has treated me very kindly indeed. It's not anyone's fault: it's chemistry.

If the "other side" refers to the previous management of LuLa, I must say I regret the loss of Chris. Same thing: chemistry. Nothing anyone can do about those things.

Rob

faberryman

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2019, 11:07:01 am »

Which seems to say more about the images than the posting of images.

James Clark

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2019, 11:26:13 am »

Oh, stop.

KLaban

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2019, 12:02:08 pm »

Careful now, there's a distinct possibility we could actually agree on something.

;-)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2019, 12:04:33 pm »

Feel free to say something about the images.

James Clark

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2019, 12:06:42 pm »

Careful now, there's a distinct possibility we could actually agree on something.

;-)

HA!

I wish I was out making images.  Instead I'm neck-deep in review of my last several years of images and trying to get them into one place so I can respond to requests from people that actually want to BUY them.  Shocking to me too, but I've had several requests in the last year or so that I haven't really been able to  respond to that well simply due to a lack of viewable content/organization.

Rob C

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2019, 02:20:03 pm »

HA!

I wish I was out making images.  Instead I'm neck-deep in review of my last several years of images and trying to get them into one place so I can respond to requests from people that actually want to BUY them.  Shocking to me too, but I've had several requests in the last year or so that I haven't really been able to  respond to that well simply due to a lack of viewable content/organization.

I think that's a reflection not so much of your methods, but of the fact that where once all one needed was the job book and a logically numbered negative filing system, today it has become very much more complex. For example: I have all my files numbered, but have no visual way of identifying them comparable, let's say, to the ease of looking at a wallet of negs or a sheet of transparencies. If I consult my website, neither I nor Weebly, the hosts, can determine the actual file numbers and so it means a mind-numbing search through hard drives. Part of my desire for a website was the dreamed of ability to use it as a ready file reference organ, which it clearly fails to be.

So, instead of digital making life easier, for me, were I still in business, it would have meant the employment of another person to do the photographic bookkeeping and less of the rewards going to my bank account.

All in all, digital has been very good for the second generation of manufacturers, but pretty much killed Kodak, its photographic father, along with thousands of photographic firms and labs. Great stuff.

KLaban

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2019, 03:43:30 pm »

I think that's a reflection not so much of your methods, but of the fact that where once all one needed was the job book and a logically numbered negative filing system, today it has become very much more complex. For example: I have all my files numbered, but have no visual way of identifying them comparable, let's say, to the ease of looking at a wallet of negs or a sheet of transparencies. If I consult my website, neither I nor Weebly, the hosts, can determine the actual file numbers and so it means a mind-numbing search through hard drives. Part of my desire for a website was the dreamed of ability to use it as a ready file reference organ, which it clearly fails to be.

So, instead of digital making life easier, for me, were I still in business, it would have meant the employment of another person to do the photographic bookkeeping and less of the rewards going to my bank account.

All in all, digital has been very good for the second generation of manufacturers, but pretty much killed Kodak, its photographic father, along with thousands of photographic firms and labs. Great stuff.

Rob, it's called DAM (Digital Asset Management).

Any modern version of Lightroom, Photoshop, Capture One and a whole host of other imaging software have DAM inbuilt.

Really, it's a breeze.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 03:53:24 pm by KLaban »

Rob C

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2019, 04:49:28 am »

Rob, it's called DAM (Digital Asset Management).

Any modern version of Lightroom, Photoshop, Capture One and a whole host of other imaging software have DAM inbuilt.

Really, it's a breeze.

Keith, my "modern" PS is CS2; the previous one was PS6. CS2 is way beyond my abilities and understanding. It comes with a thing called Bridge. In that, I find a list of thumbnails of my pics (shot since getting that version of NX2) but they are all NEFs bearing numbers out of the camera, not the saved TIFF numbers that are different. As bad, these will not open in Photoshop because they are "the wrong kind of files" and there seems no way of getting into Nikon's Capture NX2 from Bridge to open them.

That said, if I right click on an image there, then under File Info, there is a panel that means I can write in the new numbers by which I want to identify that work. (I had not realised that until writing this reply, so thanks for the prompt!)

It seems, then, that I should start to second-edit the original NEFs in Bridge (which I ignored before) in an attempt to get another form of register, a secondary list with the final file numbers on it. The step numbers just keep on growing!

Oh for the simplicity of the friggin' lightbox, a pen and a job register book!

Rob

KLaban

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2019, 09:30:13 am »

Keith, my "modern" PS is CS2; the previous one was PS6. CS2 is way beyond my abilities and understanding. It comes with a thing called Bridge. In that, I find a list of thumbnails of my pics (shot since getting that version of NX2) but they are all NEFs bearing numbers out of the camera, not the saved TIFF numbers that are different. As bad, these will not open in Photoshop because they are "the wrong kind of files" and there seems no way of getting into Nikon's Capture NX2 from Bridge to open them.

That said, if I right click on an image there, then under File Info, there is a panel that means I can write in the new numbers by which I want to identify that work. (I had not realised that until writing this reply, so thanks for the prompt!)

It seems, then, that I should start to second-edit the original NEFs in Bridge (which I ignored before) in an attempt to get another form of register, a secondary list with the final file numbers on it. The step numbers just keep on growing!

Oh for the simplicity of the friggin' lightbox, a pen and a job register book!

Rob

Rob, I'm afraid CS2 is now 14 years old. However you should be able to configure Bridge to show thumbnails rather than just a list of images which would make searching more intuitive. You can also use filters from within Bridge to narrow any search.

when uploading NEF files they will have the camera shot numbers unless you choose to do otherwise. It's entirely up to you how you subsequently rename and order your files.

I can, at a click of a mouse, find and know where to find any shot I've taken in the last twenty years. Given modern DAM software this really isn't, or rather shouldn't be difficult. This is all about a self imposed and logical workflow. I would give you examples but I think this would only serve to confuse. The point is to devise a system that is intuitive for you.

Good luck.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2019, 09:52:55 am »

Rob, I'll endorse what Keith has said. The tools available nowadays to catalog, index, recover, and process stuff are phenomenal compared with what they were even ten years ago. I've found that sometimes a book can help. Kelby's attempts at humor drive me nuts, but the guy knows what he's talking about, and he's written some pretty easy introductions to Photoshop, Lightroom, and Camera Raw.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2019, 11:39:26 am »

Rob, I'm afraid CS2 is now 14 years old. However you should be able to configure Bridge to show thumbnails rather than just a list of images which would make searching more intuitive. You can also use filters from within Bridge to narrow any search.

when uploading NEF files they will have the camera shot numbers unless you choose to do otherwise. It's entirely up to you how you subsequently rename and order your files.

I can, at a click of a mouse, find and know where to find any shot I've taken in the last twenty years. Given modern DAM software this really isn't, or rather shouldn't be difficult. This is all about a self imposed and logical workflow. I would give you examples but I think this would only serve to confuse. The point is to devise a system that is intuitive for you.

Good luck.

Sorry, Keith, it does show me thumbnails, but uses the camera NEF numbers to identify them, which mean nothing to me and the rest of my numeration system - such as it is - and so I have no idea in which folder they live.

But as I said, I am a step forward as of your previous post, because I now know that I can record the new TIFF numbers into Bridge, though it takes twice the effort. Wish I'd known that some years ago when I was still making regularish snaps!

It still amazes me, though, that neither I nor Weebly can find a way to identify my file numbers from the images on the Weebly-hosted website I use! It should be a right-clicker, single step!

;-)

KLaban

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2019, 12:08:19 pm »

Sorry, Keith, it does show me thumbnails, but uses the camera NEF numbers to identify them, which mean nothing to me and the rest of my numeration system - such as it is - and so I have no idea in which folder they live.

But as I said, I am a step forward as of your previous post, because I now know that I can record the new TIFF numbers into Bridge, though it takes twice the effort. Wish I'd known that some years ago when I was still making regularish snaps!

It still amazes me, though, that neither I nor Weebly can find a way to identify my file numbers from the images on the Weebly-hosted website I use! It should be a right-clicker, single step!

;-)

Rob, the point is you should be choosing the folders in which they live.

I've no idea how Weebly works but I would imagine that you should have the choice of file name on upload.

If I were you I'd sit down with a pad and pencil and decide how you would like things to work and then set about finding out how to achieve it.

Rob C

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2019, 03:05:14 pm »

Rob, the point is you should be choosing the folders in which they live.

I've no idea how Weebly works but I would imagine that you should have the choice of file name on upload.

If I were you I'd sit down with a pad and pencil and decide how you would like things to work and then set about finding out how to achieve it.

Of course I choose the folders: they go from folder no.1 up to, at the moment, folder no.22 with about the same number of images in each. I do not break the folders down to sub-groups because there is nothing to define them anymore. I would have broken the folders down to clients and specific shoots were I working in digital (in analogue days it was simple to list them all chronologically in the job book under client and job description). In the past few years of non-specific randomness there are no subject collections that would make more sense than just using chronological numeration.

The only kind of grouping that would make some vague sense would be to name each website gallery as a different folder; that would limit searches a little bit, but still nothing but a workaround to the best solution: the ability to identify a file number from my own website without having to incorporate it on the image. Even Weebly admitted in an e-mail that they can't do that. The series of numbers that I get on clicking on an mage in my website have no similarity to the real numbers I use. I think we tried this together once in the past, and by fluke, two or three could actually be traced that way.

In the Sales gallery I put the actual file number onto the image border to identify it. It's the only way to do it, but I don't want to disfigure pix with that information on top of copyright lines and titles - enough soon becomes visual overload. As I say, even when they could read the numbers visible on the borders, Weebly were unable to trace back to the same numbers from their own data as it appears on clicking on the image on the site.

Never mind, time to walk the terrace for an hour and stretch these legs.

Anyway, I can hardly describe what the situation here is with words; I can't imagine anyone would be able or even willing to take it aboard with so vague a description. But it's really all a bit too late in the day to matter very much: I have neither time nor patience to trawl through all this stuff myself; frankly, I know the  pix so well I'm sick of the sight of them. I just can't find where they are very quickly!

:-)

Peter McLennan

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2019, 06:54:57 pm »

I have two cats; Nigel and Hamish.  Google Photos can tell the difference between them. 

A search for "Nigel" brings up all the images of Nigel, AND the two-shots with Hamish that include Nigel.  Awesome.

If I search for "Frito", all the pictures of my so-named white van appear. 

etc.

Best DAM I've ever seen, and zero keywording. I have several thousand images uploaded to Google Photos.

Google learned all this by itself.  All I did was upload them.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up