Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copy stand recommendation  (Read 1399 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Copy stand recommendation
« on: July 04, 2019, 01:34:19 am »

Hi team,

I am looking for a robust copy stand that I would use to both digitize slides/negatives and take photos of reflective materials in small amounts. I would probably use a camera weighting 3kg max and document size would be maximum 42x59.4cm (A2).

LPL seems to have reasonably good options here in Japan, but I was wondering what everyone is using?

Another question is what light source you guys are using to digitize reflective materials? I have come across the Kaiser Slimlite Plano that seems to be using high CRI leds, is this the best there is?

Thank you.

Regards,
Bernard
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 01:59:45 am by BernardLanguillier »

Jonathan Cross

Re: Copy stand recommendation
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 06:37:45 am »

Hi.  I digitize slides using a macro lens, tripod and Kaiser Slimlite Plano.  I am happy with the results.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 09:13:10 pm »

Hi.  I digitize slides using a macro lens, tripod and Kaiser Slimlite Plano.  I am happy with the results.

Thank you Jonathan.

Cheers,
Bernard

Paul_Roark

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 11:06:00 am »

My old Beseler enlarger stand works well.  I use the Canon 100mm L macro for optics and a cold light head for the light source.  I take 3 shots of my 2 1/4 B&W negatives; PS stitches them easily.  The camera is a Sony a7rii.  The results are as good as my old Nikon 8000 scanner.  Using a mirror on the negative holder that is on top of the light source works well to align everything -- center the reflection.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 11:51:42 am »

DT Atom with DT Film Scanning Kit and DT Photon.

CRI is a pretty crappy measure of spectral quality. I suggest using CQS as your benchmark instead. The DT Photon is a 98 CRI and 98 CQS light source that we make in the USA. Every unit is hand measured for spectral consistency (not just a kelvin temperature).

It's what Library of Congress is using for the FSA collection, the National Geographic Society is using for their film archives, and dozens of other top institutions. We have also have a small number of individual users who just want the best.

You'll find cheaper; you can get darn decent results with cheaper. But you won't find better :).

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 11:53:05 am »

I take 3 shots of my 2 1/4 B&W negatives; PS stitches them easily.  The camera is a Sony a7rii. 

If you're doing this in any meaningful volume you should consider the (open source and free) DT BatchStitch for Photoshop which stitches in batches (as the name implies).

TimoK

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 12:16:23 pm »

I also converted an old Durst 1200 Laborator enlarger to a copy stand. It's very smooth and comfortable to use,but, like Paul's one it's made for slides and negs and for small reflective originals  up to A4. For bigger originals as A2 I use studio stand. For lightning I use Profoto studio flashes with soft boxes. I'm not sure of their color accuracy, but in practical use I think it's good enough. And they are very easy to use.
A2  is very interesting size to lens choice for reproduction; it's not in real macro magnification range, but it's a little too near to normal magnification too.
I use (like Paul) Sony 7rmk2 with  Canon 100mm macro lens for slide and neg repros and for little reflective originals.
But for A4 and bigger originals (like A2 ) I use  Zeiss Sony 50mm F1,8  normal lens. I think it's very good in that magnification range. I have not seen any reason for focus stacking when repruducing reflective originals in that size. (But with smaller slides and negs yes)
In film times I used Pentax 67, Hasselblad 500c and Bronica 6x7 and 645 macros for same kind of cases with good results.
I think You should try your Hasselblad macro lens and 80mm normal lens. I believe both will do the job as well.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 01:03:44 pm by TimoK »

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 05:35:00 pm »

DT Atom with DT Film Scanning Kit and DT Photon.

CRI is a pretty crappy measure of spectral quality. I suggest using CQS as your benchmark instead. The DT Photon is a 98 CRI and 98 CQS light source that we make in the USA. Every unit is hand measured for spectral consistency (not just a kelvin temperature).

It's what Library of Congress is using for the FSA collection, the National Geographic Society is using for their film archives, and dozens of other top institutions. We have also have a small number of individual users who just want the best.

You'll find cheaper; you can get darn decent results with cheaper. But you won't find better :).

Thanks Doug,

Could please PM me a quote for the following items?
- DT photon standard size
- a set of film holders from 35mm to 4x5
- a C1 cultural heritage license
- shipping to Tokyo

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 05:35:55 pm »

Thank you all for your great answers!

Cheers,
Bernard

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 06:15:10 pm »

... Could please PM me a quote...

Careful, Bernard, you’d need to drive your clunker another 10 years to balance that purchase  ;)

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 09:20:12 pm »

Careful, Bernard, you’d need to drive your clunker another 10 years to balance that purchase  ;)

I love my car, not an issue! 😉 but I will probably not be allowed to drive it anymore in 10 years for a variety of freedom depriving reasons I’ll find a lot more acceptable than... xxx 😜

Wouldn’t it be funny if a extra few CQS points cost more than the camera I intend to shoot with? 😀

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up