Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon iPF 9400S vs 8400 (used)  (Read 414 times)

henrikolsen

Canon iPF 9400S vs 8400 (used)
« on: July 03, 2019, 07:09:31 am »

If you had a need for a wider than 24" printer, and had the choice between a used Canon iPF 9400S (8 color, 60") and a 8400 (12 color, 44") at around the same price level, would you go with the wider 60" without hesitation and forget about the "only" 8 colors, or how would you decide? Both are with a set of (extra or almost new) ink included. Awaiting status print to check usage of printer and print heads.

It's difficult to say currently how my need for >44" will be, but if not available, it can't sell, that's for sure. I'm also a little intrigued by the 9400's take up reel (included, right?), especially if I can find a laminator that can feed from it afterwards.
I have experience with the latest x000 Canon series, but a new of these in 44"+ seem too expensive at the moment. I will not have CO, but will likely continue doing mostly matt prints with lamination or other glazing, and keep CO for smaller works like sheets, so I feel ok with that.

mearussi

Re: Canon iPF 9400S vs 8400 (used)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 09:42:57 am »

If you had a need for a wider than 24" printer, and had the choice between a used Canon iPF 9400S (8 color, 60") and a 8400 (12 color, 44") at around the same price level, would you go with the wider 60" without hesitation and forget about the "only" 8 colors, or how would you decide? Both are with a set of (extra or almost new) ink included. Awaiting status print to check usage of printer and print heads.

It's difficult to say currently how my need for >44" will be, but if not available, it can't sell, that's for sure. I'm also a little intrigued by the 9400's take up reel (included, right?), especially if I can find a laminator that can feed from it afterwards.
I have experience with the latest x000 Canon series, but a new of these in 44"+ seem too expensive at the moment. I will not have CO, but will likely continue doing mostly matt prints with lamination or other glazing, and keep CO for smaller works like sheets, so I feel ok with that.
Interesting dilemma, too bad you can't afford (or possibly have room for) both. The 8400 will obviously produce better looking prints, but the question is by how much (and can a non-professional even see the difference)? 60" printers are scarce on the used market, especially if the price is relatively cheap, so I'd be tempted to go that direction just for the experience of owning one.

The real question, though, is if there is actually a market for prints that large (and also do you have room to transport them once mounted in your present vehicle and a spare person to help you load and unload them)? Also lifting a 60" roll of material can be quite challenging if you're not in good shape.

Decisions, decisions. Let us know how it turns out.

gchappel

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 12:17:02 pm »

I have the 44" ipf8400.  It has been a great printer for the last 4 or 5 years. 
I do print up to 40x60".  Personally that is big enough for anything I need, your needs may vary.
But the 60" printer could print smaller, the 44" cannot print bigger.
From my own experiments with different paper- I truly doubt the average person could tell the difference between an 8 and 12 ink printer.  Heck, they can often not tell the difference between mat and gloss papers. 
These things are BIG, I assume the space is not an issue for you.
I could spin this either way.  Thus I would make my decision based on the individual printer you are comparing.  I would pick the one that looks to be in the best shape.
We can talk in circles about which one to get, they will both be great. 
But there are few things worse than a large printer that is broken.
Gary

henrikolsen

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 01:08:01 pm »

I expect ink (except the few extra colors for the 12 ink) and print head to be the same between the two models, right? Do they share the same parts also, like logic boards etc? Figuring if maintenance is on average the same price for the two if in equal starting condition and further usage.

Would like to hear if anyone is happy with take-up reels, or it's overrated. I can think of panoramic or bulk "continuous" printing as being easier with a take-up reel, and perhaps also anti-curling if winding against the material roll direction on the take-up reel.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 01:16:34 pm »

What is the price they are selling either for?  With the rebates available for certain locations, the printer price may be pretty decent on a Pro model.  Since you're not in the US, I'm not sure what seller or reseller around you are offering at.

But they do make a valid point on what you'd be doing to figure out which one to go with.  If you are doing photography, the extra colors will help with the gamut if the media profile allows it.  If poster printing, the S version is more for that purpose.  If doing a mixture, I'd go with the 12 inks so you give the best quality all together.

The 60" model has a take-up reel, correct.  The Pro's version acts as a take-up reel OR a secondary roll and is also included.
As long as the used model was taken care of pretty well, you should be ok.  Just make sure that the unit itself is functioning properly since it may cost a bit to replace parts (out of warranty) like the board and what not.  Luckily, you can change the heads, maintenance tank, inks and cutter yourself.

All of the supplies are between the 44 & 60" are the same (heads, inks, blade and maintenance tank).  I believe the board is also the same; just the width of the body (of course).
Pages: [1]   Go Up