Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Attaching a studio flash to a flash bracket  (Read 3916 times)

Kirk_C

Re: Attaching a studio flash to a flash bracket
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2019, 11:28:24 pm »

It is going to be super annoying for anyone else in the area I would imagine.

Just think how the wildlife is going to feel  >:(

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2019, 01:35:52 am »

A few tourists killed every year in South Africa by irritated wildlife. Things like elephants are pretty good at making their displeasure known.

Years ago as a kid my father and I were in Kruger. In his infinite wisdom he had decided that a Pentax 6x7 would make a good wildlife camera. I had a Minolta rangefinder with a fixed standard lens so wanted to get as close as we could. The deal was I took my photos first because the moment that Pentax fired every animal headed for the horizon. It sounded like a speeded up portcullis being lowered.

Not sure how animals react to flashes of light though.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

shadowblade

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2019, 04:22:05 am »

Most animals aren't bothered by flash - they don't change direction, stop what they're doing or really alter their behaviour due to it. It's thought that this is because, to an animal, being hit by a camera flash is a lot like seeing lightning - something they're used to.

Continuous light, such as from a torch or video light, is far more disturbing, since it's clearly unnatural. You won't be using a continuous light in situations where you're just using fill flash, and, in situations where you're relying on flash as your main light, such as night-time jungle walks to spot small nocturnal animals, you're already shining a torch at them to see them in the first place anyway - the flash does little extra to bother most animals, over and beyond what the torch is already doing.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up