Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P800: FFA (front fine art) loader with 8 1/2 x 11 paper jams  (Read 805 times)

snowy

Hi,

My P800 jams about 50% of the time loading Canson Baryta Prestige 340 gms.

There have been many discussions on loading from the FFA; but this is different. But it still involves negotiating the rear, sharp angle to head upwards.

Large papers have several workarounds, the best being to load from the back, always resulting in the paper already sitting above that angle, when aligned with the front edge of the loader platform.

But thick 8 1/2 x 11 won’t usually pass that sharp angle in the back. The distance between the sharp angle and the front edge of the platform, is greater than the length of the paper, causing the paper to fall short of the angle, when aligned with the front edge of the loader. So, the only way to get past that angle is to let the printer push it up. But, it often won’t go, resulting in a jam.

I wonder if these solutions might work.

1) Open back door straight through, as if cardboard. 8 1/2 shouldn’t need support, and the printer won’t know it’s not cardboard? Avoid the steep angle.

2) Place (tape) a small strip of thinner paper across the steep angle. This modification should allow the paper to slide up the steep angle.

Is my assessment of the problem correct? Any other suggestions?

Thanks much,

Sonny

BradSmith

Re: P800: FFA (front fine art) loader with 8 1/2 x 11 paper jams
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 09:51:10 pm »

I've had heartburn over this "sharp angle" issue since I got my first P800.  My second one (warranty replacement) has the same issue.  And as you mentioned, there are many, many stories of  people having this problem and having to invent work arounds.  It ticks me off that Epson still refuses to recognize this problem exists and neither fixes it nor provides descriptions of any of the potentially needed kluge printing methods.

I get by using Mark Segal's method of loading fine art paper from the rear.  Undocumented by Epson for fine art paper, of course.

Brad

snowy

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 10:09:50 pm »

Yes, but with thick 8 1/2 x 11 paper, even loading from the rear, when aligning at the front, the paper then moves in front of the steep angle, which then must be negotiated by the printer traction. Then it gets stuck at the angle!!

snowy

Re: P800: FFA (front fine art) loader with 8 1/2 x 11 paper jams SOLVED
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 12:52:10 pm »

A third simple solution works perfectly. The tape over the steep angle, and straight-through solutions are not necessary.

I did 7 successful test Load/ejects, followed by a print. I used a helper sheet (HS), a thin (a little less flimsy that plain paper) sheet of printer paper, about same width as the print paper.

1) Align 8 1/2 x 11 at front of FFA platform as usual.
2) From back door, push HS down and across the steep angle. (I used the back of the sheet which seems less sticky than the glossy side).
3) Push Load, as usual.
4) Watch print paper slide over HS, and up across steep angle smoothly and easily.
5) After print paper loaded, close front platform as usual.
6) Now that printer sheet is fixed, pull HS out.
7) Print as usual.

This solution would obviously work with any paper where there is trouble negotiating the steep angle. But with larger papers (that can align in front and still remain across the steep angle), Mark's technique of inserting the paper from the back works great.

snowrs

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 09:44:46 pm »

I have used this method before sucessfully, and just tried it again on some Hamn Photo Silk Baryta.  Worked like a charm.  Of course, it is only 308gsm, but I think it will also work on the stiffer thicker matt papers.

Bring out the front loader, and the LCD instructs you to Load Paper.  Insert the paper and push it in till it stops, and maybe draw it back a 1/2" or so.

Reach into the space above the loader and against the top of the undercarriage approximately in the center.  When you reach back far enough you reach a spring loaded plastic 'thingie'.  Push it in and push in the paper at the same time.  The paper should move through easily, and you can line it up with the front guides and press Load on the LCD.

I have never had this method fail, but sometimes you need to feel around for the spring loaded thing a little.  It is the only thing that 'gives' though, so it is not hard.  Also, be sure to be close to the center so it will depress evenly across feed slot.

Hope this helps,

bob snow

MHFinVA

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 10:23:46 pm »

Another paper path fightin' P800 owner here.  My solution - a launch stick.  A very thin, very flexible stainless steel ruler.  Before I push the "load" button, I've already got the launch stick positioned to allow the paper to float past the problem area. Works fine almost all of the time.  It does seem wrong to be jamming a metal stick into an expensive electronic device though.

I too continue to be confused as to why Epson doesn't take on this pesky and seemingly easily addressed mechanical issue.  Compared to engineering black ink changes and dumping perfectly good ink into that maintenance tank, it should be a piece of cake.

MHFinVA.  Be yourself.  Everyone else is taken.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 07:30:34 pm »

I have moved almost entirely to printing on rolls.
That solves the problem but creates new ones.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up