Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new capture pilot?  (Read 1888 times)

Endeavour

new capture pilot?
« on: July 02, 2019, 07:58:53 am »

as i understand it, CP doesnt work with the IQ4 due to it having a different OS

What are the chances of a new version being on the way? but specifically:

1) being available on android
2) supporting IQ3 series

anyone have any insights? I am loath to buy an apple device just for focus checking and wireless triggering

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: new capture pilot?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 11:30:49 am »

Capture pilot I thought worked on the IQ4 if you have studio wifi network connection, I may have that wrong.  I know it won't work in the field due to the fact the IQ4 doesn't have a adhoc type wifi ability unlike the 3100, 260, 280.  Without adhoc, you can't connect. 

IMO Capture Pilot is WAY long in the tooth, P1 should be taking advantage of the recent Apple announcement where they are going to tie the Mac OS and iPad OS together (starting with iPad OS 13), which will start to allow apps for the Mac work on the iPad and vise versa.  And allow the iPad to connect to a USB 3 external drive (OR MAYBE THE IQ4 AS A TETHERED SOLUTION, come on P1). Apple has opened the door, P1 need to follow up.  You can easily edit 4K video on the the latest iPad with Luma Fusion, and it's being driven by professional videographers.  Very powerful user friendly solution unlike the Premier Pro or Final Cut, both which offer more overall features but have a huge learning curve.  Net the modern iPad with 4 GB can do a lot more than folks realize.

Capture Pilot should be re-written as a Capture One lite for iOS, and offer a simple USB 3 tethered solution to the latest iPads a wifi connection also if P1 can ever get adhoc to the IQ4.  They got it right on the 3100, very reliable connection, unlike the 260.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Endeavour

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 12:24:42 pm »

if it is re-written, there is no excuse for it being an Apple only app

pschefz

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 02:26:12 pm »

if it is re-written, there is no excuse for it being an Apple only app
would you prefer it to be android?

phase needs to come out with an iOS version to enable tethered shooting as well as basic adjustments....actually there is no reason or excuse to not have full C1 on iOS now that the port is unlocked for storage....i dont expect this to work on any (especially older) iPad but the new iPad pro are plenty fast enough and have plenty of storage.....
this should not be a desktop replacement but a portable solution for location or travel....and should work with a desktop version....
and this has to be for all supported cameras....

hasselblad is already doing it....adobe will do it as soon as iOS 13 is out of beta.....this is what we have been waiting for....
schefz.com
artloch.com

Endeavour

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 02:34:09 pm »

would you prefer it to be android?

phase needs to come out with an iOS version to enable tethered shooting as well as basic adjustments....actually there is no reason or excuse to not have full C1 on iOS now that the port is unlocked for storage....i dont expect this to work on any (especially older) iPad but the new iPad pro are plenty fast enough and have plenty of storage.....
this should not be a desktop replacement but a portable solution for location or travel....and should work with a desktop version....
and this has to be for all supported cameras....

hasselblad is already doing it....adobe will do it as soon as iOS 13 is out of beta.....this is what we have been waiting for....

yes I would - why should I have to buy an expensive tablet just for communicating with my DB in the field, when I have a perfectly usable android tablet?

If you want to show off to your clients in a studio, by giving them a review tablet - then fine, people love shiny apple products when they arent paying for it

But for pure functional tools - no reason to lock it to iOS

faberryman

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 02:37:42 pm »

...this is what we have been waiting for...
Can you describe the subset of photographers that comprise "we"?

pschefz

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 10:45:08 pm »

Can you describe the subset of photographers that comprise "we"?
I honestly do not know anyone who would not like to be able to have tethered capture to an iPad?
great screen, great battery, lean OS, processor and graphics can easily handle images of pretty much any size (LR and other apps can)...in many ways much easier to handle then a laptop...
schefz.com
artloch.com

StoryinPictures

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 02:48:45 pm »

I agree that iPad support is a great idea.  If android support is possible, that would be good, too.  But in the imaging field, the iPad (and Apple in general) still holds a dominant position and the tools still hold some advantage. So Apple would be the priority.

I would need to purchase one either way, since I have neither the latest iPad nor Android :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 02:54:07 pm by StoryinPictures »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 11:57:56 pm »

I honestly do not know anyone who would not like to be able to have tethered capture to an iPad?
Really?  I can imagine there are many users that have no use for this. I for one.  I can manage just fine with what capture pilot offered with my IQ3100 on an iPhone, easy to focus and compose with.  I certainly don’t want to be lugging an iPad 8 miles round trip in a bag that’s already too heavy, when I can just save the shots to the card.

pschefz

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 01:41:30 pm »

Really?  I can imagine there are many users that have no use for this. I for one.  I can manage just fine with what capture pilot offered with my IQ3100 on an iPhone, easy to focus and compose with.  I certainly don’t want to be lugging an iPad 8 miles round trip in a bag that’s already too heavy, when I can just save the shots to the card.
I know that many users have no use for the current capture pilot....

vast majority of C1 users and capture pilot users do not use phase backs...
nobody will be forced to use capture pilot on iPad..
i know i am not the only one who wants C1 on iPad, especially for tethering...the only way this makes sense is a cable connection and full file transfer with all adjustments/presets/looks....available on the iPad just like on desktop...ipads are plenty fast enough and have plenty of storage...

for anyone not liking apple, iPads or anyone who does not see any of this missing in their current or future workflow, i honestly dont see why this would be harmful to them....
schefz.com
artloch.com

Endeavour

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 02:33:35 pm »

for anyone not liking apple, iPads or anyone who does not see any of this missing in their current or future workflow, i honestly dont see why this would be harmful to them....

I think you're missing the point of this thread
Pages: [1]   Go Up