Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: continuous shutter speed/aperture/ISO selections  (Read 417 times)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
continuous shutter speed/aperture/ISO selections
« on: July 01, 2019, 09:59:41 pm »

Has there ever been a camera that offered continuous settings for shutter speed/aperture and now since digital, ISO selection?

What I mean is why not offer 1/237 sec at f3.78 at ISO 165?  In film days offering continuous ISO adjustment was not possible, but it seems like continuously variable gain could be possible these days. I'm not sure what advantage this would offer, maybe none, but it seems like something that could be offered, at least as an option.

I understand the original advantage of shutter speed settings that changed amount of light by a factor of 2 (1/50 to 1/100) and the accompanying f-stop clicks that did the same, but there may not be much call for that anymore. It just seems as if someone would have thought of doing this, but I've never heard of it. Just curious.
--
Robert

rdonson

Re: continuous shutter speed/aperture/ISO selections
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 11:01:04 pm »

Given the dynamic range of today’s digital cameras I don’t see an advantage for continuous ISO adjustment.

When I shoot HDR, for example, I generally space the exposures at -2, 0, +2 EV.   Finer ISO would seem meaningless.  I could be wrong though.
Regards,
Ron

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 03:51:18 am »

I'd hate to quickly calculate shutter speed and f stop based on iso for anything else but by a factor of two.
For example, for most Fuji X cameras the read noise vs iso graphs suggest that after about iso 320 it's better to go straight to iso 800 due to Fuji's dual sensor gain.
To maintain a given f stop I can fairly easily work out the shutter speed if I go straight from iso 200 or 400, to iso 800.
True, I could read it off the viewfinder, but I prefer to have that information in advance of twiddling dials.

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 05:38:56 pm »

Well said, David.  The same is true with my X-T2.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up