Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: GFX questions  (Read 3456 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: GFX questions
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2019, 04:49:33 pm »

So far with all lenses that I own that can be shot with the Fuji 100 nothing comes into critical focus.  I have done all of my testing with the camera on a tripod with both IBIS on and off.  I've shot with technical lenses and the Fuji lenses but it's just crap.  100% view shows all images to be soft..... so soft that nothing could ever sharpen them to my expectations.  Same images shot with my 3100 and same tech lenses used on both cameras is night and day.  Mine is going back.......

Victor

Victor, that sucks. Sorry to hear it. Hope they can get a replacement to you soon.

What happens when you use the camera AF?  Does it lock and give a sharp image on the LCD or EVF.

Only thing I can think of is the firmware for the lenses. But I am sure you did that. And it would not explain the manual tech glass. Wonder what happens when you turn off IBIS.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

fotagf8

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2019, 05:10:10 pm »

To get the level, go to Set Up menu group, then over to Screen Set Up, then go to the second screen of options, select Disp. Custom Settings.    There are a bunch of options. Select Electronic Level.  It shows one dimension.  It does not show forward pitch.  In other words, you can be level horizontally, but looking upward or downward.

vjbelle

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2019, 05:14:07 pm »

Those are all really good questions, Paul.  AF makes no difference.  Sure, there is a sharp image in the finder as I'm used to but that sure isn't the resulting image.  I don't think firmware for lenses makes any difference.  I used my tech lenses with the same results.  IBIS off or on makes no difference.  Something is really awry.

Victor

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2019, 05:20:36 pm »

Can you post a sample? Especially compared to the IQ3100.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2019, 06:09:59 pm »

So far with all lenses that I own that can be shot with the Fuji 100 nothing comes into critical focus.  I have done all of my testing with the camera on a tripod with both IBIS on and off.  I've shot with technical lenses and the Fuji lenses but it's just crap.  100% view shows all images to be soft..... so soft that nothing could ever sharpen them to my expectations.  Same images shot with my 3100 and same tech lenses used on both cameras is night and day.  Mine is going back.......

Are you experienced with, and know how to achieve critical focus with the GFX 50x? If not, try this before you return your camera.

https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/manually-focusing-the-fujifilm-gfx-50s/

What happens when you use AF and a native lens?

Jim

calindustries

• http://www.craiglacourt.com
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2019, 10:24:22 am »

to jump to 100% view you can set "focus check" on. any time you manually adjust the focus it will jump to 100% until you let go. The screen/evf has to be in one of the full screen modes (not the one with a frame and secondary focus window) for this to happen.

fotagf8

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2019, 02:48:43 pm »

To get the level, go to Set Up menu group, then over to Screen Set Up, then go to the second screen of options, select Disp. Custom Settings.    There are a bunch of options. Select Electronic Level.  It shows one dimension.  It does not show forward pitch.  In other words, you can be level horizontally, but looking upward or downward.

I need to modify this.  On further examination of the instruction manual, there is a three-dimensional level. It is discussed on pages 223, 256, and 259.  I was able to use it once I assigned the level to a function button.  It is assigned by default to the touch screen menu.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2019, 03:02:15 pm »

Hi,

I checked out the preliminary DPReview images and I found the GFX performed pretty much like GFX 50R, that was tested with the same lens, at least regarding MTF.

After that Rishi Sanyal, who is science editor at DPR, confirmed there was an issue with focus on the test image, although they made a lot of effort to improve the test methodology.

They are going to reshoot, but not before final firmware is available.

I am a bit concerned about focus by wire, especially on lenses using voice coil as means of focusing. Early samples of the GFX 50S had issues with unforced focus shifts, I am pretty sure that has been worked out.

Hopefully, DPR gets an optimal test image on next try, that would be a good reference point.

Best regards
Erik

Those are all really good questions, Paul.  AF makes no difference.  Sure, there is a sharp image in the finder as I'm used to but that sure isn't the resulting image.  I don't think firmware for lenses makes any difference.  I used my tech lenses with the same results.  IBIS off or on makes no difference.  Something is really awry.

Victor
Erik Kaffehr

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2019, 06:27:02 pm »

I need to modify this.  On further examination of the instruction manual, there is a three-dimensional level. It is discussed on pages 223, 256, and 259.  I was able to use it once I assigned the level to a function button.  It is assigned by default to the touch screen menu.

Thanks, this is good news, I'll try this.

Cheers,
Bernard

Fotophil

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2019, 07:03:41 pm »

I am using the Arca Swiss Universal L Bracket on my GFX100. The L Section removes completely for easy access to the long battery tray.& B & H is currently is running a special for around $225.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2019, 07:02:29 pm »

Team,

Quick one, how is it possible to change the live view/EVF magnification zoom level when shooting MF?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2019, 08:19:41 pm »

Team,

Quick one, how is it possible to change the live view/EVF magnification zoom level when shooting MF?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard

Is this useful?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2019, 03:53:25 am »

Thanks Jim.

Yes. In fact I now understand that the level of zooming can apparently not be adjusted when you using the left/right display split btwn zoomed view and full view but only when in full screen zoom vuew.

Is your understanding the same as mine?

Also, I guess there is no possibility to always jump directly to a preferred level of zooming? It’s very inefficient for landscape work to have to always zoom manually.

If correct this would be a really pity because that view is super efficient.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 04:01:30 am by BernardLanguillier »

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2019, 10:21:25 am »

Thanks Jim.

Yes. In fact I now understand that the level of zooming can apparently not be adjusted when you using the left/right display split btwn zoomed view and full view but only when in full screen zoom vuew.

Is your understanding the same as mine?

Also, I guess there is no possibility to always jump directly to a preferred level of zooming? It’s very inefficient for landscape work to have to always zoom manually.

If correct this would be a really pity because that view is super efficient.

I don't have my GFX 100 yet, so I can't speak from personal experience at this point. I never found the thumbwheel magnification on the GFX 50S to be a problem, but this is different. We now have three different Fuji 33x44 mm cameras with three different user interfaces. Yikes!

Jim

Shrev94412

• Phase One, Fuji GFX100, Nikon and Leica Q2 Shooter
    • Shreve Fine Art
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2019, 10:42:47 am »

The GF lenses as delivered do not have the 1.10 firmware update installed. The 1.10 Firmware update has the Phase Detection Autofocus code. Without this update the lenses do no focus properly. Its easy to download and install. While your at it make sure your camera firmware is up to date. Here is the link for the GF lenses Firmware. As you can see in the description column the 1.10 is updating each lens for Phase Detection Auto Focus.....Good Luck!

Fuji GF Lenses Firmware Update Page

« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 10:46:28 am by Shrev94412 »
Check out my work at www.shrevefineart.com

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2019, 09:05:17 am »

Just to add to what's been said.  you can put all of the FW updates for all of your lenses on a single card.  Then just put the card in the camera and attach each lens and start-up the FW update.  The system knows which one to use for the lens that's attached.  There is no need to put the FW on the card one lens at a time.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2019, 09:51:52 am »

Just to add to what's been said.  you can put all of the FW updates for all of your lenses on a single card.  Then just put the card in the camera and attach each lens and start-up the FW update.  The system knows which one to use for the lens that's attached.  There is no need to put the FW on the card one lens at a time.

Thanks for that. I didn't have the nerve to try it.

Jim

Shrev94412

• Phase One, Fuji GFX100, Nikon and Leica Q2 Shooter
    • Shreve Fine Art
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2019, 11:21:02 am »

Jim,

We all appreciate all the testing you have done and results provided! Have you done any Continuous Auto Focus testing/Low or High Speed Burst as it relates to optimal settings for tracking a moving subject?

Such as:

Which AF Mode works best; Zone or Wide Tracking
Which AF-C Custom Settings Work Best:Tracking Sensitivity, Speed Tracking, Zone Area Switching or custom 1-6 settings?
Is it better to use "Shutter button focus and release" or "Back Button Focus and Shutter release" only?

I have been playing around with all these modes but, have yet to find optimal settings with a consistent hit rate of critical focus.

Any Thoughts?
Check out my work at www.shrevefineart.com

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2019, 03:31:29 pm »

Jim,

We all appreciate all the testing you have done and results provided! Have you done any Continuous Auto Focus testing/Low or High Speed Burst as it relates to optimal settings for tracking a moving subject?

Such as:

Which AF Mode works best; Zone or Wide Tracking
Which AF-C Custom Settings Work Best:Tracking Sensitivity, Speed Tracking, Zone Area Switching or custom 1-6 settings?
Is it better to use "Shutter button focus and release" or "Back Button Focus and Shutter release" only?

I have been playing around with all these modes but, have yet to find optimal settings with a consistent hit rate of critical focus.

Any Thoughts?

I don't have any way if doing quantitative, repeatable testing of AF dynamics. So I'm just throwing darts in the dark like everybody else.

Sorry.

Jim
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up