Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm suddenly getting .xmp files attached to my out of camera Z7 NEF Files.  (Read 2063 times)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography

I'm suddenly getting XMP files attached to my out of camera Z7 NEF files. It's only happened in the last couple of days. Anyone have any idea as to why this is happening?

The issue coincides with the date I installed the latest Z7 firmware. I'd not seen these .xmp files previously. I was wondering if Nikon are now saving their auto-corrections as an .xmp file? I've just opened one of the files in Word and it seems it contains Nikon's embedded auto-corrections and other metadata.

This issue has no impact on the images or workflow. I've even tried deleting the corresponding .xmp file and it makes no difference whatsoever. It's just annoying and is stirring my OCD.

Any ideas, anyone.

I’m using Adobe CC 2019, Bridge, Photoshop, Camera Raw.

TIA

DP

that is the most logical idea

Unless what you are saying is that w/o (prior to) invoking any Adobe (or other XMP creation capable - FRV, etc) software your firmware writes .XMP files on flash card itself... in this case it is clearly Nikon's doing.

KLaban

that is the most logical idea

Unless what you are saying is that w/o (prior to) invoking any Adobe (or other XMP creation capable - FRV, etc) software your firmware writes .XMP files on flash card itself... in this case it is clearly Nikon's doing.

Many thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

This is an issue that started a week or so ago. I was using the Z7 for a couple of months before the .xmp files started to appear.

I've checked the memory cards and the .xmp files do not appear on them so it would seem that this is an Adobe issue rather than anything to do with Nikon.

I have tried altering the setting within ACR Preferences, from Sidecar ".xmp" files to Camera Raw database and surprisingly it makes no difference whatsoever, the .xmp files continue to be created and associated with the NEF files on any new captures.

Thanks again.

KLaban

Thanks again for all the replies and suggestions, they are very much appreciated.

When uploading images through Adobe Bridge Photo Downloader I usually as a matter of course apply my metadata which includes my name. email, website address and copyright info. I’ve been doing this for years and have never had as much as a sniff of an .xmp file. Prior to last week I had also been doing this for a couple of months with the Nikon .nef files, again without triggering .xmp files.

BUT…I’ve just tried uploading new .nef files without applying my metadata and joy of joy the result is no .xmp files.

It seems for some unknown reason my metadata is now triggering .xmp files and in doing so is also showing within them Nikon’s built in corrections.

So, I believe the issue is now solved. If I want my metadata attached to the images I get .xmp files, if I don’t want .xmp files then I shouldn’t attach my metadata to the images at the download stage.

I’m truly grateful to everyone who has helped me through this and wish you all the best and good shooting.

Keith

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro

Metadata is not included in the NEF files. You either save it to an .xmp file or use the "Camera raw database". Maybe you had it saved to that database previously

KLaban

Metadata is not included in the NEF files. You either save it to an .xmp file or use the "Camera raw database". Maybe you had it saved to that database previously

?

But I've never had metadata in my NEF files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up