Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One XF/IQ LiveView Prismfinder Depth of Field  (Read 602 times)

spassig

Phase One XF/IQ LiveView Prismfinder Depth of Field
« on: June 29, 2019, 09:54:33 am »

Hello

In LiveView I see changing depth of field (sharpness) using a magnificent loupe when I change the aperture.
I can use in other way the prism finder and use the front button > depth of field function.
Does this tool mean depth of sharpness?
Does someone see the changing sharpness in prism finder when using this tool by changing aperture?
Is it right that prism finder show picture always by f3.5/ 150 mm?

Jochen

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Phase One XF/IQ LiveView Prismfinder Depth of Field
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 10:01:38 am »

Optical finder will always use the fastest aperture.   So if you are using the F3.5  150mm that would be correct. To see the effect of selected aperture you would need to use DOF preview button.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

spassig

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 10:14:08 am »

Optical finder will always use the fastest aperture.   So if you are using the F3.5  150mm that would be correct. To see the effect of selected aperture you would need to use DOF preview button.

Paul C

Thanks.
I can use the front button as DOF.
My question again.
Does someone see different sharpness in prism finder.
Or did you mean the waist level finder?

Jochen

anwarp

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 03:24:23 pm »

Hi Jochen
Modern auto-focus SLRs try to make the viewfinder as bright as possible.  You will find it's actually difficult yo focus manually and to gauge depth of field. 

Although I use an XF, I have fitted it with a focusing screen designed for manual focus on the older manual focus mamiya 645 pro.  I don't know the model number.  It has a split prism, surrounded by 2 more rings (different focusing aids).  This viewfinder is darker, but gives me a much better idea of the depth of field. It also causes the prism finder to overexpose.  But since it's digital, I can do a test shot first.

In any case, smaller differences in depth of field is hard to check in a small viewfinder of on the camera back without magnification.

spassig

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 03:42:51 pm »

Hi Jochen
Modern auto-focus SLRs try to make the viewfinder as bright as possible.  You will find it's actually difficult yo focus manually and to gauge depth of field. 

Although I use an XF, I have fitted it with a focusing screen designed for manual focus on the older manual focus mamiya 645 pro.  I don't know the model number.  It has a split prism, surrounded by 2 more rings (different focusing aids).  This viewfinder is darker, but gives me a much better idea of the depth of field. It also causes the prism finder to overexpose.  But since it's digital, I can do a test shot first.

In any case, smaller differences in depth of field is hard to check in a small viewfinder of on the camera back without magnification.

Hi.
Thanks for feedback.
Can You send a picture from your equipment?
Jochen

anwarp

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 04:58:43 pm »

Here's a quick image.

spassig

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 06:46:50 am »

Here's a quick image.

Thanks for feedback with images.
I think the focusing screen are for manual focus?
I had the same in Hasselblad 503.
I'm learning work with XF/IQ3.
When I use live view i start using a magnificent glas, also when I look the image on screen.

Jochen
Pages: [1]   Go Up