Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: shifting options  (Read 582 times)

Endeavour

shifting options
« on: June 28, 2019, 09:00:42 am »

I only have an 80mm lens for my DF+/IQ3 50 but I need to go much wider for landscape shots.

I am saving up for a tech camera (actus or wide) and suitable copal lens (something I cant afford right now)

So I am wondering if my best course of action in the meantime is to either:

a) get a wider lens for my df body, knowing I will have to buy again once I get a tech cam
b) look at doing some shifts/stitching with my 80mm

If I were to go for a shift/stitch approach, what are good (relatively inexpensive) methods to investigate? A RRS rail? a gigapan?

I just want to get up to the lakes shooting wide as soon as possible :)

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: shifting options
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 10:39:25 am »

I would choose a simple RRS rail or similar.
if you only stitch one row it is a relative inexpensive solution that gives a lot back

if you have a RRS plate you need something like this
https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Single-Row-Pano-Kits?quantity=1&custcol19=7
then you only have to find the perfect spot on the rail and you are done.
I would suggest ptgui for stitching

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Endeavour

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 11:17:39 am »

Thanks kers

which 'nodal slide option' should I be looking at?

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 11:30:55 am »

Along with a rail to be able to rotate around the nodal of of the lens something to help level the yolk of the tripod also a very useful device. The lens needs to track as level as you can make it as it rotates left and or right.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Joe Towner

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 11:55:46 am »

+1 to a leveling base of some type - it makes everything else easier.  A really strong head with a panning clamp will make it a lot easier to start level and take control of one axis.  Then you can add a rail to hit the nodal point, a swing arm to do multiple row captures. By any chance do you have a gimbal head for your tripod, as these can also be be used with a rail to achieve 2 axis nodal.

Let's take a step back and see what you're trying to do.  Are you doing this for greater resolution, or for framing purposes?  How close are you to the nearest object in your shot?  Ignoring a perfect shot, have you tried just panning left to right capturing multiple shots & stitching them?  Does one row of portrait orientation give you framing that you want, or is it not tall enough? How many shots wide did you shoot (assuming a good amount of overlap between them)?  If it takes more than 2 row of portrait orientated shots to get the view, you are looking at a different 2 axis type panorama kit.

I think the cable releases for the DF/DF+ is a physical, not electrical release, so an automated head like a Syrp or Gigapan wouldn't work.  Have you looked around for a manual focus M645 lens like the 45mm f/2.8 - it may hit your needs without the extra work of stitching.

-Joe
t: @PNWMF

Endeavour

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 12:27:15 pm »

thanks for your comments Joe

it's framing mainly. I am looking for wider vistas of lakes, forests etc. I will be printing large

Once I have saved up I can go for a more suitable setup with tilts for foreground & background focusing

So I am happy to get a MF 645 lens, I just have no idea about IQ/sharpness on those older lenses.

Joe Towner

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 02:03:01 pm »

Please define large  ;)

Don't worry so much about Tilt/Shift stuff - just get a multi-row setup from the start and shoot hyperfocal.  I do a lot with my 645z & the 75mm lens - pretty close to your framing ability.  Something ala https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/pg-02?quantity=1&custcol19=9 or https://shop.nodalninja.com/panoramic-hardware/m-series-pro-line/m1-l-w-rd16-ii-f8102/ would be the kit approach.

You can definitely build one with a couple rails & panning clamps for much less. Since you're dealing with a single lens once you get your settings marked it'll be super easy to setup.  I tend to mark mine with the appropriate stop points on gaff w/ a sharpie, but what ever works for you.
t: @PNWMF

Endeavour

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 02:29:52 pm »

ok not that large - I've a 24" printer ;)

Pages: [1]   Go Up