Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tanzania in August  (Read 3844 times)

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Tanzania in August
« on: June 26, 2019, 04:46:59 am »

My partner is an engineering geologist currently working a three month contract in Tanzania. Contract finishes end July and I will be flying up to join her for a holiday returning home 18 August.

We are looking at various options right now but I am mostly interested in the coastal region and Islands south of Dar. Kilwa, Mafia and so on. I would like to photograph the old forts and ruins on Kilwa. Perhaps a side trip up to Pangani.

Not sure about game reserves for this trip. If there is a lake or mountain involved I may look at its not really a focus.

Equipment decisions are now the thing. I will most likely take a single body, leave the A7RIII at home perhaps and take the A9. I fancy some street photography in Dar. I need to think about it a bit more. Travel could be rough and I don’t want to be burdened with tons of stuff.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Re: Tanzania in August
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 01:54:30 pm »

I've was in/around Moshi and Arusha a couple of years ago to climb Kilimanjaro. So it's not the same zone but I did stay near Lake Manyara while taking a safari in nearby game parks.
That area (which is not far from Arusha) is spectacular, especially the wildlife. But staying in the public campground by the lake almost got my camera stolen when thieves came into our tent cabin during the night. My tent mate lost a bag with three cameras and all his Kilimanjaro photos. My decision to sleep with my bag next to my head proved to be a good one.
Besides that incident everyone was friendly, but it reinforced my decision to travel a little lighter with a less valuable camera than my best stuff. A little close for comfort!
-MattB

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 02:19:21 pm »

I will certainly take that on board. Won’t be my first trip to the area but it’s been a while so thats important information for me. If I feel shot out around Kilwa I could end up in the Arusha Moshi area.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 03:39:51 am »

Returned from Tanzania a few days ago. Had a very good trip. I will post a few images on his thread in case anyone is interested. The image of the chimp was taken in Gombe the national park on Tanganyika where Jane Goodall has her quite famous institute. I am no wildlife photographer that is for sure but I enjoy having a go now an again. I shot this with the Sony A9 and a Sigma 100 to 400.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 04:45:37 am »

Lake Tanganyika.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 06:59:02 am »

64000 ISO. This was our three our ride to Gombe National Park. Fooling around with high iso

Miles

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 06:03:52 pm »

Nice images.  The 64000 ISO is impressive.

Miles

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 01:41:01 am »

Thank you Miles. As an old man with a long history in film trying to push TriX it seems miraculous to me to be able to shoot hand held in conditions where you can barely see. I did do post on this to reduce noise but still.

Arington

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 05:18:00 am »

I think this is really a very cool idea that you just have to put into practice. I love holidays and often try to go on various trips with my friends. The last time we rented a cabin in Australia, if you want to know more information, then click here. I think you can find a lot of useful information there for your future holidays, as I think that for your previous vacation you have already found a great place and had a very cool time with your loved one. Well, good luck to you, I hope your future holidays will be no less cool!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 05:06:16 pm by Arington »
Pages: [1]   Go Up