Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Wacom Tablet - Small or Medium?  (Read 2350 times)

steverap

• Rappaport Photography
Wacom Tablet - Small or Medium?
« on: June 21, 2019, 10:29:51 am »

Hi, I am adding a Wacom Intuos Pro tablet to my workflow, but I am undecided about size: small or medium? I will use it exclusively for photo editing with Photoshop and Lightroom running on a 27" iMac (late 2015). I'd be grateful for advice, thanks. 

katcost

Re: Wacom Tablet - Small or Medium?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 12:33:18 pm »

I have the medium and I think the size is perfect.  It fits in my lap or on my desk, and I rarely run into the edges or feel as if I don't have space.

KeithR

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 01:28:25 pm »

I've been using a trackball along with a medium sized Wacom tablet for all my PS & LR editing for years and wouldn't even consider going back to a mouse. Even at my day job(non photo related) I was supplied a mouse to use but went and bought a small trackball to use instead.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

jrsforums

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 01:52:39 pm »

If you are using just one screen, I think you will find the small will meet you needs quite well.  It has the advantage of less hand/arm movement to go across the screen and is big enough so small movements are not too “tight”.

For two screens, I find the medium works better.  While the “throw” to go across both screens is long, it is not too long and quick.  Since the screen area is so vast, you need a bit more tablet area for small movements.

The reality is that either will work.  It is what you get use to.  Just trying to give some food for thought.
John

TomRobbins

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 02:50:15 pm »

Medium works well for me, but it really only became indispensable when paired with a small 12" wide keyboard. Both now fit on the rollout keyboard shelf and it's a joy to use without having to move one or the other due to lack of room on the physical desktop.   

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 01:58:01 am »

Hi, I am adding a Wacom Intuos Pro tablet to my workflow, but I am undecided about size: small or medium? I will use it exclusively for photo editing with Photoshop and Lightroom running on a 27" iMac (late 2015). I'd be grateful for advice, thanks.

Had an earlier Wacom medium and now use a Wacom Pro small. The small works fine for me for photo editing, and I do a considerable amount of editing work.

elliot_n

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 04:25:33 am »

The Small is plenty big enough for me.

Rand47

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 10:11:52 am »

The Small is plenty big enough for me.

+1.   I had a medium and ended up mapping a much smaller portion of the tablet to the screen.  The fine work one generally does with a pen in editing doesn’t need (and in my case was hindered) by the need for “too much” movement at the pen tip compared to the area I was “drawing” on the screen.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 09:58:43 pm »

As a Mac user, I'm wondering how well the Wacom fits into the workflow.  When home, my 27" iMac leaves little to be desired.  But while on the road with a laptop, I feel the need for a better interface for editing.  I am interested in feedback from other Mac users about how well Wacom fits into their workflow.

rdonson

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 10:07:37 pm »

Long ago a had a jumbo Wacom because I got it for $150 from a company where it was just setting in its box on a shelf unused.

That was a HUGE mistake.  I soon figured out why no one at that company wanted to use it.  I gave it away.

I bought and still have a more modest sized Wacom but I found I just didn't like it that much.  It sits on a shelf now.

What I do use is the Apple Magic Track pad.  No, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Wacom but it works great for me in Lr and PS.  Perhaps I'm just a troglodyte.   ;D

YMMV
Regards,
Ron

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 06:29:09 am »

I have used Wacom tablets since 20000. I big part of my workflow. There is a period of adjustment. In another life when I lost my mind I employed 3 photographers and 4 retouchers. I insisted every retouchers work with a Wacom. Some hated it in the beginning but I saw improvements in quality of work and productivity. What I would do when I employed a new retoucher was to take away the mouse and force them to use it. Would take about 4 days with the most stubborn people. Not one person ever went back to a mouse after they got the hang of it.

Some liked medium and some liked the small version. I bought an A4 and really didn’t get along with it. I like the medium size.

I use a mouse for some stuff but not for PS of C1.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2019, 06:50:02 pm »

i could not work without a wacom.
the pen allows so much more delicate work than a mouse.
I use the small version and had a medium before.
Medium is somewhat better, but not at the double price I think.
Last year i met a photographer with an A4 tablet; she used the big one because it was the best way to avoid problems with repetitive strain injuries.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

borgeindergaard

• indergaard.net
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 09:16:00 am »

I owned a medium in the past, and sold it because I thought it was too big. For photo editing the small is the perfect size in my opinion, and I'm more happy with it.
--
Børge Indergaard

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2019, 11:42:02 am »

I use the medium and also find it indispensable. You'll likely do fine with either. Remember it's hard to draw with a brick.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2019, 01:37:13 am »

If you have a larger Wacom you map areas of it to different monitors. The issue with two big monitors mapped to a small Wacom is the inputs become increasingly fine. There is a useful and programmable hires mode to help with this issue when retouching but it doesn’t fix the issue of 1mm of movement on a small Wacom can equate to several cm of movement on screen when navigating around two large monitors.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2019, 05:37:01 am »

I use the small and have the upper pen button tied to display mapping so I can focus on one display. C1 browser is dedicated to the left display (24”) oriented vertically, image and tools on the right (main-27”) display.

I prefer the small because I can take it with me in a std laptop bag.

Dave

T1MC0LE

• Tim Cole
    • Tim Cole
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2020, 06:18:51 pm »

I would suggest the medium size, I personally find small tablets too sensitive, medium tablets are a little more forgiving with larger pen movements. It’s the same as drawing a picture on a piece paper, bigger is easier.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2020, 09:27:55 pm »

Well I guess I'm the odd one out, I use the Large Wacom and love it.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

vjbelle

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2020, 08:00:35 am »

I have a medium which is mapped for a smaller area.  For sure my next Wacom will be a small.

Victor B

jeremyrh

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2020, 11:02:40 am »

I have the small. I have tried the medium also but small works better for me - more finger control and less big artistic movements.

One advantage of the medium is that the Touch Ring has 4 modes while the small has one. If that matters :-)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up