Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z9+ Unboxing and Setup Video  (Read 13709 times)

jimcamel

• Film from the 70's; digital and computers now.
Re: HP Z9+ Unboxing and Setup Video
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2019, 03:46:43 pm »

Hi Mark,  thanks for following up...I posted some time ago on the 'other' thread we've been using that I resolved it by using a fixed, internal IP address, instead of installing via Bonjour which was the default.  After converting to the fixed IP, the printing speed was completely resolved.

jc
JC. Photography and computers ... how could that not be great ?

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2019, 04:18:16 pm »

Hi Mark,  thanks for following up...I posted some time ago on the 'other' thread we've been using that I resolved it by using a fixed, internal IP address, instead of installing via Bonjour which was the default.  After converting to the fixed IP, the printing speed was completely resolved.

jc

OK - I missed that Jim - Thanks very much - glad to hear that.

Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

Kaz

« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2019, 09:42:56 am »

Hi Mark,

thanks for the responses on the noise. :) I asked before.

I have now got 9+ 24" on order to replace my 44" Z3200

I ordered with the optional gloss enhancer kit - as I saw one need to discard a print head if one add the gloss enhancer AFTER initial setup of the printer. If you buy the printer and the Gloss enhancer - you should be able to save the print head included with the Gloss Enhancer kit for "later use"

So does anyone need a Z3200 44" London area with 2 boxes of Ink + spare new ink tube kit?

:)

Thanks again Mark - would not have pushed the trigger without you.

/k

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2019, 11:19:17 am »

jc

On the 'old' z3100 it was exactly the same i use a fixed IP address and not bonjour.
BTW i use system 13.6 and it seems i can run a print of 44 inch wide and 350 inch long using photoshop 2020... no rip needed.
In the past i have made prints up to 300cm long = 118inch
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2019, 11:40:25 am »

On the 'old' z3100 it was exactly the same i use a fixed IP address and not bonjour.
BTW i use system 13.6 and it seems i can run a print of 44 inch wide and 350 inch long using photoshop 2020... no rip needed.
In the past i have made prints up to 300cm long = 118inch

The Z9+ printer comes with an HP Jet Direct card for LAN and WiFi connection. When setting up an ip address (with Mac) when adding a printer in system preferences, choose IP and type in the static IP address you want, then at the drop down for connection type, choose "Jet Direct Socket" and it will absolutely hook right up.

Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

Kaz

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2019, 09:58:57 am »

Just a little followup on the Z9+ 24" I have purchased.

It arrived on Thursday.
Thursday/Friday was spent taking the Z3200 down and setting up the Z9.

/rant......

Unfortunately I seems I got a DUD. So post firmware update (which installed a 1 year old FW) - and Gloss Optimizer init - then Ink Line pre fill - I then went on to install the print heads.

All went ok - apart from printer did not like the Chromatic Red / Cyan. Every time I got an error saying the head needed replacing.
I then replaced it with the spare I had from the Gloss Enhancer kit - and voila - same error.

I contacted HP Service - who thinks it is the PCA. And since I have tried two print heads to get it to work - they would then send 2 new print heads.

Since I have next day business service - I expected them to arrive today at some point (it is 3pm here now)

But nothing - not even a call or a mail. So I called.

Well i turns out that HP does not have the Print heads in stock? So they can't send out an engineer.....

I do not know who runs the service department in the UK - but not having spare print-heads in the service department seems like an absolute major failure. Even a "used" spare would not matter if one could just get the printer functional and not DOA.

So right now - I'm getting very worried. I have a lot of prints to do - and about 1/2 the inks are not in stock with HP (plus print heads)

And I have a non functional brand new printer.

So I'm actually considering returning the printer - not for the performance - but from the lack of spare parts from HP Service in the UK and their complete lack of communications.

/rant over

So what would you do?

/k

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2019, 01:52:29 pm »

Just a little followup on the Z9+ 24" I have purchased.

It arrived on Thursday.
Thursday/Friday was spent taking the Z3200 down and setting up the Z9.

/rant......

Unfortunately I seems I got a DUD. So post firmware update (which installed a 1 year old FW) - and Gloss Optimizer init - then Ink Line pre fill - I then went on to install the print heads.

All went ok - apart from printer did not like the Chromatic Red / Cyan. Every time I got an error saying the head needed replacing.
I then replaced it with the spare I had from the Gloss Enhancer kit - and voila - same error.

I contacted HP Service - who thinks it is the PCA. And since I have tried two print heads to get it to work - they would then send 2 new print heads.

Since I have next day business service - I expected them to arrive today at some point (it is 3pm here now)

But nothing - not even a call or a mail. So I called.

Well i turns out that HP does not have the Print heads in stock? So they can't send out an engineer.....

I do not know who runs the service department in the UK - but not having spare print-heads in the service department seems like an absolute major failure. Even a "used" spare would not matter if one could just get the printer functional and not DOA.

So right now - I'm getting very worried. I have a lot of prints to do - and about 1/2 the inks are not in stock with HP (plus print heads)

And I have a non functional brand new printer.

So I'm actually considering returning the printer - not for the performance - but from the lack of spare parts from HP Service in the UK and their complete lack of communications.

/rant over

So what would you do?

/k

I wouldn't retire the 3200 before the Z9+ was fully functional and running and even then I would keep the older printer as a backup.

Kaz

« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2019, 05:20:23 pm »

I wouldn't retire the 3200 before the Z9+ was fully functional and running and even then I would keep the older printer as a backup.

I did not have space for both. I still have the z3200 in the garage.

But do others have supply issues of Ink and Printheads - HP UK is sold out on 1/2 the supplies for the Z series.

deanwork

« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2019, 06:35:36 pm »

Yes HP USA and IT Supplies that I use. There are other places.

https://www.itsupplies.com/HP-DesignJet-Z3200-Inks-s/2824.htm?searching=Y&sort=5&cat=2824&show=32&page=1

https://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/ink--toner---paper/hp-70-ink-cartridges?jumpid=ps_ewjftdzmh1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvLe55o-Y5gIVh4bACh0tvgi9EAAYASAAEgJcx_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#!&tab=vao

John

I did not have space for both. I still have the z3200 in the garage.

But do others have supply issues of Ink and Printheads - HP UK is sold out on 1/2 the supplies for the Z series.

Kaz

« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 07:09:28 pm by Kaz »

deanwork

« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2019, 09:22:42 pm »

Wow. If I just bought one I’d be freaked out and pissed during the holiday season. You can’t function like that.

HP have plenty of ink and supplies for the Z3200 - but more than 50% out of stock for the Z9 https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Ink-Toner-Paper.aspx?query=HP+DESIGNJET+Z9%2BDR+44-IN+POSTSCRIPT+PRINTER+WITH+V-TRIMMER&product=X9D24A&type=Printer&model=HP-DesignJet-Z9%2Bdr-44-in-PostScript-Printer-with-V-Trimmer-Ink

4 inks in stock out of 10
and no printheads in stock.

And HP has still not come back with a date for the repair people to arrive.

/k

Kaz

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2019, 09:04:58 am »

Well I got really freaked out today...

Our Logistics Team is currently making every effort to source the parts so we can support you as soon as possible.
We apologize for the inconvenience and will keep you informed on the evolution of the situation.

If you have any queries please feel free to contact us regarding the REPAIR STATUS

ETA 31-Dec-2019

UK: 02076600403
Ireland: 014118932
RSA :   0216724036

Best regards

Yes notice the date....

The above date is because they do not have print heads available until next year...

In the meantime I managed to source my own NEW printhead (the old ones might work) - but they would not send out engineer without (print)head.

After hours on the phone - I now have an engineer coming out tomorrow with main PCA + new ribbon cable.

If they can't fix it tomorrow - it is going back for good.

Kaz

« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2019, 10:26:07 am »

Well I got really freaked out today...

Yes notice the date....

The above date is because they do not have print heads available until next year...

In the meantime I managed to source my own NEW printhead (the old ones might work) - but they would not send out engineer without (print)head.

After hours on the phone - I now have an engineer coming out tomorrow with main PCA + new ribbon cable.

If they can't fix it tomorrow - it is going back for good.

btw. I do only think the connector for the print head cable has fallen out. I only get 1 print head with errors - but there are NO traces of ink on the bottom of any of the print heads. But a few of the call center people do not really want to listen very well.

deanwork

« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2019, 02:08:13 pm »

As Bloomberg reported last month, HP is laying off many thousands of people, I think the majority of the layoffs  from their print division.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-03/hp-inc-to-cut-as-much-as-16-of-workforce-amid-print-unit-woes

Apparently they were selling their office printer at near cost to make the cash on their ink, and people for a decade or more were using tons of cheap third party dye ink in those units. They let it go on and on and on. Sounds like just horrible management. I expected to see some of those negative implications hit us now.

John

btw. I do only think the connector for the print head cable has fallen out. I only get 1 print head with errors - but there are NO traces of ink on the bottom of any of the print heads. But a few of the call center people do not really want to listen very well.

Kaz

« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2019, 05:21:01 pm »

Progress report:

Arranged for HP to come out today first thing - so roughly 9AM and agreed they HAD to finish before 1PM.

HP Main office then sent spare parts to the 3rd party service company. (minus the cartridges that are not in stock)

Well - HP UK - sent the parts to the WRONG 3rd party service company office. So poor service guy had to drive for another 2 1/2 hours to collect the parts. So he arrived at 12:05pm

And then he did some diagnostics - and the Carriage PCA - said most voltages was wrong. So then he tore down the Z9 - and put a new PCB in. I managed to arrange for me being able to leave at 1:45pm and not 1pm. At 1:30pm the printer got turned back on - and passed voltage diagnostics. Inks and Print heads went back in - and the printer started it's "Startup Ink Cartridge" Program - and then it was time for me to leave - so we left the printer be printer and sort itself out.

So all in all the 3rd party repair guy - was great!

HP not so much.

But I came home at 4:30pm - and printer was working.

Conclusion - HP is a MESS.. But once service people gets the parts they do a darn fine job.

But HP has problems with all parts. Printheads are not available until between Dec 12th and Dec 29th.... Inks.. Unknown. Luckily I have an almost full set of Inks and 1 spare print-head.

Random Initial Comments / Impressions about printer and utilities :

1. Printer seems to saturate slightly more than the Z3200. On my favorite "Day to Day" Paper (Colourbyte Satin 190gsm) I had to turn it down to the Low Ink printer profile for Glossy. That was never an issue on the Z3200. (To much ink will show on the colourbyte as slight smear and like extra honeycomb outline inside the lower rows of saturated red/blue honeycomb patterns.)

2. Accounting... In latest firmware - something seriously wrong. Sometimes it will show a small print job has used 70ml of ink. And often costs shows for about 1/2 second and then goes to zero - while you look at it? Tried multiple browsers with same result.

3. HP DesignJet utility - Sync Paper presets sometimes can't be started (grayed out) - have not found the cause - but then you can't select the right paper - and then printer wont print... (unless you override)

4. You can change the currently selected paper profile on inserted paper via the printer front panel - not via the Web Interface or DesignJet utility? (At least I have not found a way)

5. HP DesignJet utility - latest Windows version is not downloadable? 404 - File not found error on HP's server? (6.0.7.4641) (https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/HP_DesignJet_Utility_6.0.7.4641.exe)

6. Authorized Dealers are no longer dealers - they are just box-shifters with limited knowledge despite their "DesignJet certifications...."

7. Z9 is not as easy to tear down or service as the Z3200.

8. I LOVE the silence - when printer goes to power save mode it is practically silent. Not like the 747 Z3200 fan sounds. Yes it wakes up from time to time for head clean - but that is fine. And it uses about 7 watt in "standby" mode which is also a lot better than the Z3200.

9. Display on printer does not seem quite optimized. It seems like it is running code for something that was supposed to be running on a slightly larger display. So lots of things needs horizontal scrolling - where a smaller font would have been absolutely fine even for my presbyopia "enhanced" vision.

10. Inks and start up - the whole startup of mine ate about 50% of the "initial" ink cartridges (before the first print) - So 27-35 ml / cartridge before ink lines and print heads are "full" and ready to rock and roll. (And 12% of the Gloss Enhancer 300ml cartridge from the GE Kit)

11. And a brand new printer with a Carriage PCA failure - should simply not happen. The board is so darn simple. Just a lot of capacitors - an STM32 processor and an advanced voltage controller (i think based on my quick view)

I hope HP can put some effort into optimizing their supply chain and service. Else it won't be long before it is only Epson or Canon.

But my printer is working - and we are getting to know each-other. It will be a few days before we are on first name basis - but it is so far showing promise, apart from all the wrenches HP tries to throw in the machinery.

deanwork

« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2019, 07:16:44 pm »

I’m sure it will straighten out.

Epson had a lot of crazy software issues for the first year with their P10k/ 20k printers and it seems like once the firmware was straightened out they unveiled a completely different 12 channel model. So they’ve got three versions of a 44 aqueous printer going on at once that they have to supply ink and parts for.  We don’t know if the  12 channel units  will be clogger ink wasters like recent history or not. Maybe I’m jaded but I suspect they will. Canon had a great reliable 44 model then had to screw with it and loose 1/3 of the image permanence pretty much for no reason at, at least for photographers.

As for support, I’ve always found my HP on-site techs to be far more knowledgeable, professional, and well trained than the people from Decision One for Epson, or Pitney Bowles for Canon. They have also just been nicer people and get the job done faster. I guess this could vary from region to region. As far as software goes HP has been a mess and the website a joke, but thankfully once you are set up things just work beautifully and in my case always stable.

All I can say is I’m so dependent on my z3200 just being available and dependable and my canon too that I just don’t know what I would buy if one of these went down in terms of newer models. The idea of buying a whole expensive print head and the labor with that when one nozzle out of 12 nozzles goes bad just seems insane to me now. 

The new universal head design that is super easy to replace with the Z9 is just awesome. And you need fewer of them now.  Let’s hope they keep the supply chain going. I worry more and more about substandard parts being made in China and as trade wars continue the availability of parts may be our new issue to deal with.

I just wish we had ai robots in the country where we live making these things. That’s where it’s going ultimately I hope.

John

Progress report:

Arranged for HP to come out today first thing - so roughly 9AM and agreed they HAD to finish before 1PM.

HP Main office then sent spare parts to the 3rd party service company. (minus the cartridges that are not in stock)

Well - HP UK - sent the parts to the WRONG 3rd party service company office. So poor service guy had to drive for another 2 1/2 hours to collect the parts. So he arrived at 12:05pm

And then he did some diagnostics - and the Carriage PCA - said most voltages was wrong. So then he tore down the Z9 - and put a new PCB in. I managed to arrange for me being able to leave at 1:45pm and not 1pm. At 1:30pm the printer got turned back on - and passed voltage diagnostics. Inks and Print heads went back in - and the printer started it's "Startup Ink Cartridge" Program - and then it was time for me to leave - so we left the printer be printer and sort itself out.

HP not so much.

Conclusion - HP is a MESS.. But once service people gets the parts they do a darn fine job.

But HP has problems with all parts. Printheads are not available until between Dec 12th and Dec 29th.... Inks.. Unknown. Luckily I have an almost full set of Inks and 1 spare print-head.

1. Printer seems to saturate slightly more than the Z3200. On my favorite "Day to Day" Paper (Colourbyte Satin 190gsm) I had to turn it down to the Low Ink printer profile for Glossy. That was never an issue on the Z3200. (To much ink will show on the colourbyte as slight smear and like extra honeycomb outline inside the lower rows of saturated red/blue honeycomb patterns.)

2. Accounting... In latest firmware - something seriously wrong. Sometimes it will show a small print job has used 70ml of ink. And often costs shows for about 1/2 second and then goes to zero - while you look at it? Tried multiple browsers with same result.

3. HP DesignJet utility - Sync Paper presets sometimes can't be started (grayed out) - have not found the cause - but then you can't select the right paper - and then printer wont print... (unless you override)

4. You can change the currently selected paper profile on inserted paper via the printer front panel - not via the Web Interface or DesignJet utility? (At least I have not found a way)

5. HP DesignJet utility - latest Windows version is not downloadable? 404 - File not found error on HP's server? (6.0.7.4641) (https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/HP_DesignJet_Utility_6.0.7.4641.exe)

6. Authorized Dealers are no longer dealers - they are just box-shifters with limited knowledge despite their "DesignJet certifications...."

8. I LOVE the silence - when printer goes to power save mode it is practically silent. Not like the 747 Z3200 fan sounds. Yes it wakes up from time to time for head clean - but that is fine. And it uses about 7 watt in "standby" mode which is also a lot better than the Z3200.

9. Display on printer does not seem quite optimized. It seems like it is running code for something that was supposed to be running on a slightly larger display. So lots of things needs horizontal scrolling - where a smaller font would have been absolutely fine even for my presbyopia "enhanced" vision.

10. Inks and start up - the whole startup of mine ate about 50% of the "initial" ink cartridges (before the first print) - So 27-35 ml / cartridge before ink lines and print heads are "full" and ready to rock and roll. (And 12% of the Gloss Enhancer 300ml cartridge from the GE Kit)

11. And a brand new printer with a Carriage PCA failure - should simply not happen. The board is so darn simple. Just a lot of capacitors - an STM32 processor and an advanced voltage controller (i think based on my quick view)

I hope HP can put some effort into optimizing their supply chain and service. Else it won't be long before it is only Epson or Canon.

But my printer is working - and we are getting to know each-other. It will be a few days before we are on first name basis - but it is so far showing promise, apart from all the wrenches HP tries to throw in the machinery.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2019, 08:19:54 pm »

... I worry more and more about substandard parts being made in China and as trade wars continue the availability of parts may be our new issue to deal with.

I just wish we had ai robots in the country where we live making these things. That’s where it’s going ultimately I hope.

John

Those AI Robots will also come from China... and AI is not that intelligent yet... You may hope it can distinguish the printhead from your own...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

MHMG

« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2019, 12:40:06 am »

Kaz, I sense your frustration and feel the pain. No one wants to buy a sophisticated and expensive device that doesn't work correctly straight out of the box. FWIW, I'm in the US not UK, and I order many supplies form B&H Photo, a big photographic dealer in New York city. All Z9 inks and the printhead are currently in stock there. I recently ordered a spare print head last week for my new Z9, and it arrived within 24 hours. I also had a connectivity issue with my new Z9 (mainly due to unique circumstances with my studio's wifi network) and the HP tech support guy located in Canada gave me a brilliant solution to my problem on my first call to HP support. So, I think HP may be covering some regional territories better than others which is unfortunate for sure, but I hope you hang In there. When the Z9 is up and running correctly, it's a pretty impressive printer.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

Progress report:

HP not so much.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2019, 04:21:04 am »

Progress report:

HP not so much.

You could tell HP UK that all consumables including heads are available in The Netherlands;
https://www.123inkt.nl/Inkt-cartridges/HP/Printer-type/HP-Designjet/HP-Designjet-Z9-plus-44-p581130.html

It will not be a fast solution to get them to the UK next year but that has another cause ......

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Richard.Wills

• Photofusion Photography Centre
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2019, 06:58:30 pm »

Ernst, are we allowed to mention B*xit?
I regularly get media from B&H faster than from UK and EU. Shame GBP has tanked in the last couple of years.

Kaz, hopefully, even if HP UK can't supply inks and heads, they'll do the decent thing and work with parts you've sourced from other markets, if needed. Would love to see the print quality.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up