Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Abstract waterfall  (Read 673 times)

KMRennie

Abstract waterfall
« on: June 19, 2019, 07:16:07 am »

I had to wait patiently for the sun to disappear. When it did, I got the image and the midges got me, Scotland in Summer! Ken

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Re: Abstract waterfall
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 07:35:48 am »

Yes! Very pleasing.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 01:12:50 pm »

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

rabanito

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 11:21:06 am »

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 12:53:27 pm »

...I got the image and the midges got me, Scotland in Summer! Ken

Yes, little buggers aren't they?

I have found through much painful experience, that at this time of year when you venture out of the safety of your vehicle and if there isn't a breeze blowing, that you have about three minutes to setup before they arrive, so you have to work quickly. Then having setup, walk briskly away from your camera and tripod for around 50 yards or so if you can. Then wait a moment or two for them to chase over to you and then walk briskly back to your camera, refine your framing and take a shot and repeat until you get what you want - but basically once they arrive, then you cannot stop moving. Also when you do get bitten (usually at the backs of your ears), don't scratch them, or you will be scratching and scratching for days, until you finally start to take the skin off, yet still keep scratching. Better still is to press your fingernail into the itchy bit of the bite to alleviate the itch and then they should go in around a day or so.

I have tried Jungle milk, Skin So Soft and even wearing an all consuming midge jacket and nothing really works other than the ideas mentioned above. So thank god they only come out from late May through to late September  ;)

But much worse than the infamous Scottish midge in my opinion, are the New Zealand Sand flies, which are horrendous and which led to my left hand swelling up and looking like an inflated rubber glove. But in first place for my money and head an shoulders above the rest as the worst insects I have ever encountered, is the Canadian Mosquito, which are just pure evil and can even penetrate thick clothing...

Dave
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 01:59:52 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 01:29:05 pm »

Vinegar ftw. Oh, and catnip. Vinegar can neutralise the itch and with it possibly the aftermath. Catnip apparently has the ability to ward them off, but I have never tried it.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 01:29:48 pm »

Nice photo.
The bugs around here are either non-existent or so thick it seems like they could carry you away. I think that like the canadian mosquitoes, they have a short season to get everything done so when they emerge they are very aggressive. Midwestern mosquitoes are a little bigger and slower to choose a spot and bite but the ones here in the mountains seem to come in like darts!

Right now it's early for mosquitoes since we still are getting freezes now and then but soon they will billow up from the many little puddles created by flood irrigation (or just floods this year) in thick clouds. I've looked down at my arm before and it was literally covered in like 100 of them after just a few seconds.
I keep a few of these stashed around in various bags just in case. Something like this combined with a shell jacket and some bug-proof gloves can be a real lifesaver.
-MattB

Mark Nadler

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 01:38:31 pm »

Nice abstract. 

mark

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 04:57:55 am »

Good one.

guido