Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: B&W sliders greyed out  (Read 938 times)

mbaginy

B&W sliders greyed out
« on: June 17, 2019, 03:10:38 pm »

Does creating a DNG file alter an image’s ability to be processed?

Recently, I haven’t been able to adjust B&W settings with the sliders when processing images of my Fujifilm X100T. I create a B&W image using the “V” key or selecting a monochrome profile. Only with files from this camera, the B&W sliders are greyed out. Using the X-Pro1 or Canon 5D models, everything is normal and I can adjust individual colors.

Except for creating DNG files, I can’t think of anything different in my workflow compared to past years. But I haven’t had such a problem with RAW files from other cameras. I also haven’t recently updated the camera software - all seems the same as in past years.

Has anyone encountered this phenomenon too or does anyone have an idea what could be causing this?

LR CC 8.3.1
iMac High Sierra (10.13.6)

rdonson

Re: B&W sliders greyed out
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 03:21:04 pm »

Mike, what are the steps you're taking to create the DNG file?
Regards,
Ron

mbaginy

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 05:35:33 pm »

Mike, what are the steps you're taking to create the DNG file?
I let LR convert upon import.

I do that with the files of my four main Cameras: X100T, X-Pro1 Canon 5D and 5D MkIII. Only files from the X100T act like this. What I haven't done yet, but it might be worth doing so (tomorrow) is to import a RAW file without converting and see how LR responds.

The reason for conversion is a remark I recently read that LR processes DNG files quicker and my LR response is often very slow. Can't recall where I read the suggestion.

mbaginy

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 03:29:27 am »

I just ran a trial import of a few shots I snapped this morning, using the same workflow as in the past two weeks (when this odd phenomenon occurred).  No problems whatsoever.  I even imported to my MacBook, then exported as catalog and imported to my iMac, just as I had when I had been recently traveling.  No problem, the B&W sliders are operational.

I’m really stumped by this.  It would seem that there is no problem and, were it not for those files where the sliders truly are greyed out, I’d think it were all a dream.  Oh well, I’ll put it down to the quirks of digital photography and carry on.  :-\

Time for a cup of coffee.

mbaginy

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 07:56:05 am »

I had time to check all photos I took in the past two weeks while in Tuscany.  The odd performance seems limited to one date (and that one camera).  Screwy!  The aura of Florence?

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 04:47:47 pm »

Mike, that seems quite bizarre.  I've never let Lr convert RAW files to DNG on import just to TIFF.   It's puzzling that it's only with the X100T.  Are both the Fuji cameras at the latest firmware?
Regards,
Ron

mbaginy

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 05:08:59 pm »

Yes, Ron, both Fujis have the latest firmware. And I've found that the greyed out sliders occur on all images shot with the X100T on June 6th only. I'm at a loss to point my finger towards the camera, LR or DNG format. But 263 images, all with the same greyed out sliders when converted to b/w point towards a real issue, not just a one-off goofy image.

A shame this can't be repeated (yet), I'd like to know exactly which settings or environment causes this strange behavior.
Pages: [1]   Go Up