Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what does a landscape photographer do all day?  (Read 2717 times)

Endeavour

what does a landscape photographer do all day?
« on: June 15, 2019, 09:27:26 am »

this seems to be a question of motivation.

I love landscape photography but am struggling to get out there to shoot when I want to - for a number of reason (having young kids being one)

My most enjoyable and successful shoots have been very early in the morning. I've had moderate success later in the afternoon, but Id say 8/10 of my preferred shots are all dawn/morning golden hour

this has now manifested itself in my not bothering to even think about going out to shoot at other times, meaning if I am tired/oversleep one morning, I dont shoot that day.

I'm not a scatter gun photographer, I like to plan my shoots and take my time (medium & large format)

I love shooting early morning for a number of reasons
1) the light
2) its quiet
3) I'm not taking dad time away from the kids (up and out & back before they wake sometimes)
4) fewer people around

How do I break out of this cycle? How do you approach your available time for shooting which might not be the ideal conditions?

FabienP

Re: what does a landscape photographer do all day?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 06:17:18 pm »

(...)

How do you approach your available time for shooting which might not be the ideal conditions?

Provided interest is there, I would switch to a different type of photography that could be less impacted by light condition (wildlife, street photography, macro). Or I would even treat photography as a secondary goal and do some kind of activity which will be rewarding even if no photography opportunity arises, such as hiking or doing an MTB ride. In such a case, downsizing the camera gear is essential so that it doesn't negatively impact the outdoor trip.

As for breaking out of the cycle that you mention, I don't know. It looks like such a cycle is ideal to make the most out of your limited time. Going out of this comfort zone will at first not yield many rewards but might be the only way to regain motivation?

Cheers,

Fabien

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 09:17:09 pm »

I am much like you, Endeavour: a landscape photographer who wants to take advantage of the ideal conditions, but too often in a funk due to less-than-ideal conditions. However I also remember reading decades ago about Robert Gilka’s concept paraphrased as: There’s no such thing as bad lighting, just poor photographers. It seems harsh, but when you’re the Photo Editor of National Geographic (for 27 years), you need to ensure your photographers can produce engaging images anytime, anywhere.

As a result of learning this back in my formative photography years (and as Fabien suggested), I adjust the style of photography and my expectations to the conditions that present themselves. An overcast day may mean more small area or forest ‘scapes. Out at noon may mean close-ups with diffuser. There are also special times when I go out of my way to reserve time, when I know the conditions will be near ideal for the more serious pursuit of master photographs. But more often than not, I have “walkabout” times when I’m out kicking around, perhaps with family members or perhaps casually scouting new locations for future photo ops and making a few less-serious photographs along the way.

If you need some inspiration for day-to-day photographs, have a look at John R’s series of photographs on the forum topic Daily Walk. Very inspirational! And he, too, is from TO (though I’m from up the road in Guelph).

Happy shooting!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 04:08:52 pm »

well, certainly the evening should be quite productive as well.  Choice of whether to shoot morning or evening is based on location and the direction you need to shoot, sunrise on the U.S. east coast usually much more productive than sunset, but just the opposite on the west coast.  The time of day isn’t just about the quality of the light, but the direction of light and how that affects shading, texture and dimension of the desired subject matter.

As far as being productive in the middle of the day, while I might not be actively shooting, that’s when I’m actively finding that locations I want to shoot, and evaluate the best time of day to capture it when the light will be best.

I’ve never worried that I need to actively shoot all the time, but I will say I have more evening shots that morning shots in my portfolio, mostly because the subjects in my location lend themselves to evening light better, as well as sunsets tend to be more colorful as the heat of the day brings in clouds and even thunderstorms, whereas the morning the skies tend to be bald.  Not that that’s bad, I have many nice shots with a beautiful clean blue sky, but generally some clouds add nice interest and can help the light.

nemtom

• Tamas Nemeth
    • 500 px gallery
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 06:15:00 am »

Easy, go to Iceland (or any other northern locations), and you don't have to choose as the sunset ends with a sunrise.

(I'm right now up after a 2 hours sleep next to the Death Valley to try third time to photograph a sand dune. This is my first phototrip this south, and I'm not a huge fan of this schedule either. :)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 05:02:28 am »

I can definitely wake up easier for sunset than for sunrise.

MoreOrLess

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 02:10:10 pm »

Perhaps shift the kind of landscape shots your taking? colour pictures from viewpoints do naturally tend to lend themselves to the golden hour but other kinds of work maybe rather different, shooting in woodland for example or B&W shooting generally.

rdonson

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 10:15:57 pm »

I love shooting sunrises and sunsets especially when clouds can provide some very nice drama.

Failing that I love an approaching storm or nasty clouds looking to ruin someone's day.  For me it can be about the drama that can be found in the landscape.  Shadows and light is what I often seek. 

If it's a boring day try looking for a water fall in the woods.  There can be some nice compositions there.  Just don't fall into the trap that all water must be captured with ND filters and long exposures that make the water look like milk.   ;D
Regards,
Ron

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 02:04:48 pm »

I've had (and still have) the same struggle although my kid is a teenager now so he a bit more self-sufficient than he used to be. I love to shoot sunrise but more often than not sunset works out better for me from a logistical standpoint. Post-sunset blue hour is another good slot with a lot of potential.

A couple of things I do when my available time slot doesn't align with the light I want are to look for harsh shadows if it is that kind of day and use them as compositional elements. This often works best with a final image that is black and white for me.
Get a 10 stop ND filter and do daytime long exposures. Water and clouds are obvious subjects and often work well but many things take on a new element of interest when time-shifted with a long exposure.
-MattB

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 02:56:56 pm »

I've had (and still have) the same struggle although my kid is a teenager now so he a bit more self-sufficient than he used to be. I love to shoot sunrise but more often than not sunset works out better for me from a logistical standpoint. Post-sunset blue hour is another good slot with a lot of potential.

A couple of things I do when my available time slot doesn't align with the light I want are to look for harsh shadows if it is that kind of day and use them as compositional elements. This often works best with a final image that is black and white for me.
Get a 10 stop ND filter and do daytime long exposures. Water and clouds are obvious subjects and often work well but many things take on a new element of interest when time-shifted with a long exposure.

Matt, could you point us to some examples of daytime 10 stop ND's you've done? 

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 03:17:14 pm »

Matt, could you point us to some examples of daytime 10 stop ND's you've done?

This reminds me I have not done any in a while. Here are a few from a few years ago I thought worked out well enough. If anything it's a good exercise in patience. :)

From a trip to Kauai

My alma mater

Local river park
-MattB

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 03:39:05 pm »

Matt.  Nice shots.  Since I shoot Velvia 50, I could only imagine how long I'd have to keep the shutter open with a 10 stop ND to get the exposure right?  Especially at magic hour. :)

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 03:55:14 pm »

Matt.  Nice shots.  Since I shoot Velvia 50, I could only imagine how long I'd have to keep the shutter open with a 10 stop ND to get the exposure right?  Especially at magic hour. :)

Since these were all shot at ISO 100, you don't have to imagine, you can just do the math which is just 2x the time.
The Kauai one was only a 1s exposure but the other two were both 25s.

Interestingly enough I went out to (unsuccessfully because of batteries) shoot some Velvia 50 recently and bumped into one of the longest film holdouts I have known who still does some beautiful film photography. He was shooting with his first non-phone digital camera, a new GFX-R and kept going on about how cool digital was for all the reasons many of us know. Normally it would have been me shooting digital alongside him shooting film and me extolling those virtues to him.
-MattB

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 04:16:05 pm »

Since these were all shot at ISO 100, you don't have to imagine, you can just do the math which is just 2x the time.
The Kauai one was only a 1s exposure but the other two were both 25s.

Interestingly enough I went out to (unsuccessfully because of batteries) shoot some Velvia 50 recently and bumped into one of the longest film holdouts I have known who still does some beautiful film photography. He was shooting with his first non-phone digital camera, a new GFX-R and kept going on about how cool digital was for all the reasons many of us know. Normally it would have been me shooting digital alongside him shooting film and me extolling those virtues to him.

After looking at his work, it's obvious why he keeps shooting film.

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2019, 04:57:28 pm »

After looking at his work, it's obvious why he keeps shooting film.

I agree but he has had an epiphany with his new GFX and he thinks that will be his main rig from now on.

-MattB

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2019, 06:21:17 pm »

They now have a 100mb MF called the Fujifilm GFX-100 for $10K without lenses.
https://www.dpreview.com/products/fujifilm/slrs/fujifilm_gfx100

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2019, 06:36:34 pm »

Looks nice but a little out of my league (although that is cheap compared to the competition). But the 50MP ones may be within striking distance for me soon...
-MattB

FabienP

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2019, 03:33:42 pm »

The funny thing is that it might be longer than on digital cameras set at the same ISO value. Using Velvia 50 for long exposure, you have to adjust exposure time to compensate for reciprocity failure. Fujifilm recommends doing this for exposures starting with 4 seconds (see paragraph 5. long exposure compensation in this document). Also note that exposure times above 30 seconds are not recommended if colour consistency is to be somehow maintained.

Cheers,

Fabien

Mariamrose

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2019, 12:07:13 pm »

Infrared is great for the hours between sunrise and sunset.  Whether it be film or a digital conversion. It is also a fantastic way to explore and capture the invisible light creating very dramatic scenes.  It works particularly well with landscapes.

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2019, 06:06:59 pm »

During most of the day, I either hike, study natural history, or read.  Summer in the Sierra Nevada has a short window of acceptable light.  I'm thinking of getting back into fishing just to wait for the time to be right.
Pages: [1]   Go Up