Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eric Meola  (Read 1293 times)

Rob C

Eric Meola
« on: June 14, 2019, 05:45:27 pm »

Not a kid anymore, but still a great eye for colour.

http://www.ericmeola.photography/

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Eric Meola
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 06:19:02 pm »

Funny you mentioned him.

He was one of my inspirations back in the '70s and '80s, in particular his treatment of color. I said "funny you mentioned him," as he just a few days ago checked one of my images on Facebook. I wanted to show my daughter who he is, so I googled some of his famous photographs, and found this one below. I do not remember that particular photograph in the past, so I wasn't trying to copy it when I took a picture of my daughter this January. It must be his general influence (together with Ernst Haas and Jay Maisel) that shaped my approach to color. I was with my daughter visiting a Miami's festival of lights, called NightGarden, where thousands of colorful light sources illuminate paths through a botanical garden at night.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 06:06:23 am »

Funny you mentioned him.

He was one of my inspirations back in the '70s and '80s, in particular his treatment of color. I said "funny you mentioned him," as he just a few days ago checked one of my images on Facebook. I wanted to show my daughter who he is, so I googled some of his famous photographs, and found this one below. I do not remember that particular photograph in the past, so I wasn't trying to copy it when I took a picture of my daughter this January. It must be his general influence (together with Ernst Haas and Jay Maisel) that shaped my approach to color. I was with my daughter visiting a Miami's festival of lights, called NightGarden, where thousands of colorful light sources illuminate paths through a botanical garden at night.

He was a king of stock.

I wonder how that is working out today.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 12:36:25 pm »

... I wonder how that is working out today.

Apparently, the last sever years he has turned into a storm chaser. He has a new book to show for it: "FIERCE BEAUTY: Storms of the Great Plains."

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 03:36:27 pm »

Ditto to Eric's inspiration along with Pete Turner, Jay Maisel, Ernst Haas... In the mean time, he work still passes the mark of time.  And now it appears as though Eric has reinvented to keep his target moving.

Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 03:51:18 am »

As I have never seen those skies, it's silly for me to comment, but unless they are actually as colourful, then maybe he overdoes it a tad, and takes it all into the unbelievable? Which some may like and others not so much.

Rob

degrub

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 10:28:50 am »

i haven't seen all of his shots, but having been through a few tornadic clouds, yes, you can get dramatic and seemingly weird colors/light during a storm.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 10:50:27 am »

i haven't seen all of his shots, but having been through a few tornadic clouds, yes, you can get dramatic and seemingly weird colors/light during a storm.

You have saved his reputation!

:-)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 11:55:49 am »

Indeed. This is an out-of-camera shot I did during a tornado warning at sunset in Iowa in 2015 (from the safety of a hotel room):

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 04:48:11 pm »

That's what you get for stopping too far down: not defrac but bunnies!

:-)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 04:58:23 pm »

Rain drops on the window, Rob.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 07:16:28 am »

I have a book from him that is dear to me: Living Tribes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up