Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DNG to NEF .... infos..  (Read 2317 times)

Abdo

• Abdo Abdala - Photography
DNG to NEF .... infos..
« on: June 10, 2019, 06:28:41 pm »

Hello,

Sorry for the English, let's see if you can understand what I need.

For over 10 years, I photographed and converted everything to DNG, always with the original RAW file embedded.
Well this slows down the system and the larger files.
I would like to return everything to the original RAW and the use of XMP.
It happens that I have always used Lightroom and every treatment is incorporated in the DNG.
Is there any way to extract the RAW and also keep the setup?
Some converter, something to sort this out.

Thank you

kirkt

Re: DNG to NEF .... infos..
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 06:58:03 pm »

You can extract the original raw files embedded within the DNGs by using the Adobe DNG Converter (see screenshot).  You can extract the XMPs from the DNG files by using ExifTool:

exiftool -xmp -b -w xmp "PATH-TO-DIRECTORY-OF-DNGS"

Basically, you point Adobe DNG Converter to a directory of DNGs to extract the raw files from all of the DNGs, and then point ExifTool to that same directory of DNGs to extract all of the XMPs from the DNGs - the XMP files will include the editing instructions for Adobe Camera Raw/Lightroom if edits have been made.

Maybe Lightroom has some built-in utility to do all of this automagically.

kirk
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 07:04:43 pm by kirkt »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 08:38:49 am »

Because you included the raw files, yes, you can use DNG Converter on them and extract the raw files.

There is nothing built into Lightroom to assist this process.

Remember that not all your Lightroom work is saved to XMP - flags and collections are not included, for example. However, my Syncomatic plugin will copy work from DNGs to raws, using the file names to match each picture. You just import the raw files into the same Lightroom catalogue as the DNGs and then run the plugin. If you then want xmp files, Ctrl or Cmd S.

Abdo

• Abdo Abdala - Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 09:12:25 am »

Thank you for your help.
John I even had his software registered, I bought it years ago.
I could not remember how to use it, but now it's clear.
So what I'm going to do is:
1. Open the folder containing the DNG, export to the native RAW in the same folder.
2. Synchronize the folder with LR
3. Use syncomatic to synchronize all treatments, as the names are not the same, the solution is to use the time option to synchronize.

I did the test here and it works perfectly, a bit of work, because I have something 70,000 images and some 250 folders, but it's the price I'll pay to take everything to DNG.

At least I was careful to preserve the original RAWs, something that some friends did not have and now they do not have RAW anymore.

Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up