Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Topaz Gigapixel changes 16bit images to 8bit  (Read 2632 times)

rxchaos

Topaz Gigapixel changes 16bit images to 8bit
« on: June 09, 2019, 03:44:47 pm »

Gigapixel 4.0.3 and perhaps earlier versions as well covert 16bit images (TIFF) to 8bit. Is there a setting to keep resized image at the original bit depth?

kirkt

Re: Topaz Gigapixel changes 16bit images to 8bit
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 04:35:51 pm »

It does not convert the bit depth unless you specify it to do so (Convert File Format).  See screenshot.

kirk

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 05:07:47 pm »

Gigapixel 4.0.3 and perhaps earlier versions as well covert 16bit images (TIFF) to 8bit. Is there a setting to keep resized image at the original bit depth?

Hi,

As Kirk said, you can either keep the same bit depth as the original input file, or set it manually to either 8 or 16 bits per channel.

BTW, since May 24, 2019, Gigapixel AI has been updated to version 4.1.1:
https://help.topazlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014088412-A-I-Gigapixel-Changelog

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

rxchaos

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 08:04:31 am »

Thank you for the response

- The file i was resizing was a TIFF 16bit, and I expected the resized file to also be a 16bit TIFF. No file format conversion.
- Since there was no file format conversion I left 'Convert File Format' to NO. And, that seems to be the problem
- The result was a resized 8bit TIIFF file.
Choosing NO in the 'Convert File Format' doesn't seem to be the correct choice to make. The choice of words on the interface is confusing

After seeing kirkt's response, I set 'Convert to File Format' to Yes and selected 16bit and it works as expected.

kirkt

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 02:25:30 pm »

The way you described it should not be the way it processes images!  That's weird.  After having specified the file format conversion to be 16bit (i.e., forcing it to stay 16bit), when you turn Convert File Format off, does it revert back to making 8 bit, or does the 16bit setting "stick?"  Are you up to date on your version?

kirk

rxchaos

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 10:26:20 pm »

I am running the most current version. And, switching Convert File Format to off reverts to generating an 8bit file, i.e. the 16bit setting does to stick.  This is weird.  I emailed Topaz Labs and don't have a response from them yet.

kirkt

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 07:22:13 am »

I am running the most current version. And, switching Convert File Format to off reverts to generating an 8bit file, i.e. the 16bit setting does to stick.  This is weird.  I emailed Topaz Labs and don't have a response from them yet.

Yes, strange - please update when you get a response.  Thanks for the effort!

kirk
Pages: [1]   Go Up