Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rob Rates the Dress...  (Read 2532 times)

32BT

• Pictures
Rob Rates the Dress...
« on: June 07, 2019, 02:29:29 pm »

This article must be tailormade(!) to Rob's expertise. So here's the question for him and others: how would you rate the pictures?

https://petapixel.com/2019/06/07/a-group-of-photographers-across-the-uk-passed-around-one-dress/

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

Re: Rob Rates the Dress...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 03:47:33 pm »

This article must be tailormade(!) to Rob's expertise. So here's the question for him and others: how would you rate the pictures?

https://petapixel.com/2019/06/07/a-group-of-photographers-across-the-uk-passed-around-one-dress/

They are bloody awful. The models are hopeless, or it may be the photographers. FIVE days each to produce that?

One thing I did notice, though, is that the one clutching the child to order has, without my permission, borrowed my grandmother's silk shawl which I used (below) in St Paul de Vence for a Tennent's Lager calendar.

Sadly, it illustrates the fact that models are vitally important to the success of any shoot. The best shooter in the world will not make good pix with a dog, unless for a canine magazine. Maybe they'd have had more luck with Kodachrome? :-)

« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 03:29:50 am by Rob C »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 04:50:09 pm »

Just illustrates world-wide obesity epidemic.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 06:18:43 pm »

Picture #1, well, let's just say that the house is really beautiful, especially if you click through to the entire series. I don't understand how one can mess up so many different takes of the same thing. The frontal view of the house is cool, makes a cool fashionshot too, but is not particularly about that dress.

Picture #2, clearly the overal winner. A modern take with a classic dress. Colorgraded to fit the overall intent. At least they make the garment look attractive too. Not a fan of those unrealistically light eyes everyone p'shops in after Steve McCurry had his 15minutes of fame. Also, can somebody please tell the female version of homo sapiens that it isn't necessary to open one's mouth at an attempt to look sensual.

Picture #3 is a good example of where that may even work counterproductive. Strange colorgrading and unnecessarily flat, the non-model doesn't even seem to separate from the background. They used Rob's flower trick too. (Foreground blur! But what are they trying to obscure? Not the other, potentially bare skinned enkel or leg, something curvy or revealing?

Picture #4, a selfie. Daring. Let's called it an attempt at trying something different. That deserves points, plus, keeping shut, that deserves points too. Keep working on those p'shop skillzzz and you may be able to correct the horrible lighting in post, which can probably be considered better than an entirely unsalvageable attempt. This was dangerously close though.

Picture #5, so you got an entire beach like that all to yourself? A happy, energetic model and beautiful low sunlight at your disposal, and you still manage to come home with a vacation snapshot? Well, I suppose you can't blame them, it was a vacation…

Picture #5, I'm not one to go politically incorrect for no reason, but what the hell is it with women and the mother-child bond? Does it melt their heart and subsequently their brain? It was supposed to be about the dress! "Damn," she must have thought, "that's one ugly dress!". "Oh, I know, we can borrow that shawl from Rob and cover things up."

"There, that looks better."???

Picture #6
Playing? That's not playing, that's reading, thank you very much.

Picture #7
Almost, but not quite. It has the proper structures and the proper model look, but somebody could really use some compositional skills to make it all work together in a single attractive package.

Picture #8
Finally we're getting somewhere. Except for the where part. If this same model, stance, dog, and lighting was used but instead situated in an urban area with like a graffiti wall behind her and maybe some slow shutter busy city surrounding her, man, that would have been a winner.
And notice her lips?

Picture #9
Please stick to making awful unnecessary hdr images of landscapes. That clarity thing that reduces overall brightness of the sky, but a flatly toned dress that's yet lighter. God, how I hate that look. Apparently, it is about the sky. Maybe one point for the kind of Wyeth narrative.

Picture #10
I'm glad she chose the natural look. Let's leave it at that as there are children involved.

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 07:18:51 pm »

Not one of them is half-way up to any of Rob's.

Hmmm. Maybe they should have put the dress on a dog...
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

faberryman

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 08:14:40 pm »

They all look pretty laughable to me. But what do I know?

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 02:39:45 am »

The wonder is this was flagged up at all.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 07:09:42 am »

Hmmm. Maybe they should have put the dress on a dog...

Appears to me they already did... Several.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 08:03:12 am »

Appears to me they already did... Several.

That made me disturb the dining room with an involuntary laugh! Not that I heard it; my 'phones keep me focussed on the music.

:-)

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 03:04:45 pm »

Peter Gowland did it already:

rabanito

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 04:54:35 am »

One thing I did notice, though, is that the one clutching the child to order has, without my permission, borrowed my grandmother's silk shawl which I used (below) in St Paul de Vence for a Tennent's Lager calendar.

A shawl? A shawl?
I don't see any shawl...   ;)

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 06:45:58 am »

A shawl? A shawl?
I don't see any shawl...   ;)

Then a successful photograph: seeing the red T logo lager larger would have helped from the client's perspective, but not mine!

;-)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 09:19:37 am by Rob C »

rabanito

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2019, 08:53:41 am »

Then a successful photograph (seeing the red T logo lager larger would have helped from the client's perspective, but not mine!

;-)

INDEED!
She has a beer jug in her left hand!!!
Thanks for bringing it to my attention...  ;D

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2019, 09:20:59 am »

INDEED!
She has a beer jug in her left hand!!!
Thanks for bringing it to my attention...  ;D

Why do I have to see my writing flaws only once the damed things get immortalised in quotations?

Grrrrr...

:-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up