Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson SC-P800 and color management?  (Read 2272 times)

Petrus

Epson SC-P800 and color management?
« on: June 07, 2019, 01:07:16 pm »

I just got my new Epson SC-P800 connected to MacBook running Mojave 10.14.4 and Photoshop CC 20.0.3.

Problem: where is the color management happening? I was using R3000 previously, and on the print settings box it was possible to turn off and on the printer color management (confusedly it must be done in print box AND print settings), preferably using Photoshop management and paper profiles. Now the print settings box which pops up is much simpler and there is no color management selection anywhere to be found.

So cannot print anything before I find the cursed color management adjustment. In the printer manual they show the good old printer settings box, but that is not what I am getting.

When setting up the system did complain about incompatibility with Mojave, but what can one do?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Epson SC-P800 and color management?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 01:10:24 pm »

I don't think this has anything to do with Mohave. Which Epson driver do you have installed: the Airprint Driver or the Series Driver? If you have the Airprint driver, many options are unavailable. You must use the Series driver. Check this, and if necessary uninstall Airprint and install Series. If this is the problem, that would clear it up.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Petrus

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 01:25:41 pm »

Not AirPrint, I think. How do I check which driver I have? Simpleton me...

Made another download from Epson site, there was only one driver available anyway. No change, but I did not uninstall anything. Need to do that first?

Update: uninstalled and reinstalled, no change.

If I choose the old R3000 as printer, the old print settings dialog box pops up with all the necessary adjustments. SC-P800 brings up the bargain version without color management and many other finer details. Infuriating to say the least. I set the printer up according the to the setup from Epson support pages. There was no choice of different drivers.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 01:51:49 pm by Petrus »

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 02:27:40 pm »

Mark will obviously help you a LOT.  His knowledge is quite deep.

If you'd like to find some things out on your own you might wish to look here.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJGBlcEqdmSJUK17V8iqY3A
Regards,
Ron

Garnick

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 02:28:10 pm »

Not AirPrint, I think. How do I check which driver I have? Simpleton me...

Made another download from Epson site, there was only one driver available anyway. No change, but I did not uninstall anything. Need to do that first?

Update: uninstalled and reinstalled, no change.

If I choose the old R3000 as printer, the old print settings dialog box pops up with all the necessary adjustments. SC-P800 brings up the bargain version without color management and many other finer details. Infuriating to say the least. I set the printer up according the to the setup from Epson support pages. There was no choice of different drivers.

"Not AirPrint, I think. How do I check which driver I have?"  Go to System Preferences > Printers & Scanners.  Near the bottom right in the next dialog you should see your default printer as shown in the screenshot below.  It's been quite a long time since I installed a driver, but as I recall, once you have installed a driver you once again need to go to SysPrefs > Printers and scanners and add the new printer, the "+" sign bottom left.  The next dialog should show both the Series Printer and the Airprint printer.  At this point add the Series Printer and it will then show as your Default Printer in the previous dialog.  You should also delete the current printer before installing it again.  First delete the printer in SysPrefs > Printer & Scanners, the "-" sign lower left.  Then go to Macintosh HD - Library > Printers, and trash the Epson Folder and then empty the trash.  If you have other Espon printers they will also be deleted, so you will have to reinstall them as well.  Restart the Mac.  Install the printer driver and follow my directions above.

Caveat:  As mentioned, it's been a long time since I've done this, but I imagine Mark will chime in and fill in any gaps that might he might find.

Woops !  Forgot the screenshot.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 02:37:12 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 04:19:13 pm »

That's pretty much it Gary, except I would probably trash the old installation before doing anything with the new one. Best is to have a look at the two Epson videos on the site you linked focused on uninstalling old and installing new for Mac.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Garnick

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 05:39:46 pm »

That's pretty much it Gary, except I would probably trash the old installation before doing anything with the new one. Best is to have a look at the two Epson videos on the site you linked focused on uninstalling old and installing new for Mac.

Yes, you're right Mark.  I had that somewhat out or order now that I've read it again.  Of course the total deletion of the driver should be done first.
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 07:24:36 pm »

By now, even those of us who have been on LuLa for a while, using Windows and an Epson printer, know that one should never use Airprint on a Mac. 

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Petrus

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 06:27:59 am »

Finally got around moving the Wi-Fi hub to my Mancave for 30 minutes (where I try to manage without the net*), problem solved with the instructions from Marc and Garnick. Now the print settings box looks familiar.

*) Mancave/Music room, still old school CDs and 10 year old Mac Pro & Windows XP machines never connected to the net...

fred.carter

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 06:21:34 pm »

Re: AirPrint vs. Series driver...

I've seen this a lot.  If you're finding the printer (presumably network, maybe wireless), when you go to add the printer, you'll get a few choices.  Unfortunately, the "...Series..." printers sometimes take a bit longer to show up.  So you have to wait until they appear.  Once those appear, then chose one of them & you will find it using the correct (well, of the choices) one rather than the AirPrint.

Pages: [1]   Go Up