Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Military vs Science  (Read 2611 times)

32BT

• Pictures
Military vs Science
« on: June 07, 2019, 10:35:03 am »

Okay, to draw a really binary black & white picture, one could say that you spend on the military if you want the status quo to persist, and you spend on science & innovation if you want to move to higher ground.

Considering that oil is rapidly nearing end-of-life as a primary driver for our western luxury lifestyle, should we be spending more moneys on the military in order to defend our interests in such with all the additional side effects, or should we be spending more moneys on science and technology in order to innovate to a new energy regime?

Where would the balance be? How much total budget would be acceptable?

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

JoeKitchen

Re: Military vs Science
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 10:45:47 am »

Okay, to draw a really binary black & white picture, one could say that you spend on the military if you want the status quo to persist, and you spend on science & innovation if you want to move to higher ground.

Considering that oil is rapidly nearing end-of-life as a primary driver for our western luxury lifestyle, should we be spending more moneys on the military in order to defend our interests in such with all the additional side effects, or should we be spending more moneys on science and technology in order to innovate to a new energy regime?

Where would the balance be? How much total budget would be acceptable?

On the energy of course! 

Problem is everyone is concentrating on the wrong fields! 

Said to say, the conservatives are trying to hold onto fossil fuels.  Aside form the fact that they are dirty, they are running out.  To anyone not so invested in these, it is obvious we need to look elsewhere. 

Although it appears that the liberals are doing this, they are looking at the wrong technologies, wind and solar.  Wind and solar are just too dilute and too intermitant to ever work. 

Ted Talk with physicist David MacKay on the issues with renewables. 

Ted Talk with enviromentalist Michael Shellenberger on Why Renewables Can't Save the Planet.

So, until we actually start to look to nuclear again, this issue is never going to be solved.  By the way, nuclear not only would give us the energy we need, but would also be good for the environment.

Stewart Brand, the grandfather of the modern environmental movement, on why we must accept nuclear. 

Interesting thing with nuclear, one of the biggest sources of uranium for fuel rods are decommissioned nuclear weapons.  So, investing in nuclear would have the net effect of making the world a little safer place too. 

PS, another one of my favorites for all of you doomsday nay-sayers on how unsafe nuclear is. 

How the fear of nuclear is ...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 11:06:51 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 11:14:02 am »

Investing into the military often results in technological innovations which find ways into science, medicine and everyday consumer world.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 11:50:39 am »

...should we be spending more moneys on the military...

YOU spend more, we are self-sufficient in oil and gas  :P

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 12:16:04 pm »

YOU spend more, we are self-sufficient in oil and gas  :P

Wrong answer, and the energy producers know it.

Big Oil is using Solar and Wind (which produces cheaper electricity) to generate energy with which they can continue fracking for the oil and gas reserves.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

JoeKitchen

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 12:21:54 pm »

Big Oil is using Solar and Wind (which produces cheaper electricity) to generate energy with which they can continue fracking for the oil and gas reserves.

Cheers,
Bart

Please provide your source. 

Every single piece of data I see shows that wind and solar increases the cost of electricity.  I have yet to see any detailed look at the overall infrastructure that shows wind and solar are cheaper.  Additionally, since wind and solar can never be base load sources of energy, and only produce energy 10% to 20%, I just cant see a fracking exploration relying on these energy sources.  It would greatly limit their operational time. 

If they are using wind and solar, it more then likely to help promote the energy source since fossil fuels are heavily invested in wind and solar.  Their investment is not however because they believe in the technology, but because since wind/solar can not ever be base load sources, traditional power plants are built in tandem when a wind/solar farm are built, most of which are coal/gas/oil plants.  This has been most evident in Germany which has seen a net increase in carbon emissions even though it has great increased their wind/solar potential.  (Note I said potential, not actual output.) 

faberryman

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 12:24:23 pm »

The premise qualifies as the logical fallacy of false dichotomy.

degrub

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 12:28:00 pm »

Cheers,
Bart

Not really.
Living in one of the US states with about the highest wind power production as well as oil, gas, and chemicals wind and solar are a very small fraction of the energy produced. Maybe it is different in Europe, but not the case here. Well fracking uses diesel based power generators for the most part. They tend to be "off the grid" as a matter practice.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 12:33:06 pm »

« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 12:41:49 pm by Bart_van_der_Wolf »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 12:40:22 pm »

Forgot to add the link, here it is:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-28/oil-giant-exxon-turns-to-wind-solar-for-home-state-operations

Cheers,
Bart

The date used is "unsubsidized levelized cost of energy."  They do not give actual definition of what this means, but in a brief research it appears to be only based on the cost of the turbines and/or solar panels while assuming near full and constant energy production from each unit.  No other costs seem to factor into this data. 

In reality, this means little to nothing.  Solar and wind farms only generate energy 10% to 20% of the time.  Additionally, wind and solar farms need to be 450 times larger then a traditional power plant to have the potential to generate the same amount of energy (assuming 85% production).  This uses up significantly more land, concrete, metal, glass, etc., which all factor into the overall price, and typically outweigh any cost savings.  More people need to employed for wind/solar, which sounds good at first, but adds to the overall cost as well. 

Like I said, you need to look at the entire infrastructure, not just the cost per unit of a panel or wind turbine. 

If wind and solar are so much cheaper, and Germany has been the leader in implementing wind/solar, tell me why the cost of electricity has been rising in Germany more then any other place in Europe? 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 03:55:51 pm by JoeKitchen »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 12:43:24 pm »

Like I said, you need to look at the entire infrastructure, not just the cost per unit of a panel or wind turbine.

Apparently, Exxon did.

And Texas apparently produces (and uses) more renewable energy than California.

Cheers,
Bart

JoeKitchen

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2019, 12:48:06 pm »

Apparently, Exxon did.

Cheers,
Bart

Like I said before, Exxon and other large oil/gas/coal companies are heavily invested in wind/solar because they know they will never be base load power sources and additional plants will always need to be built in tandem when a wind/solar farm goes up.  This has been shown to be the case repeatably throughout the world, especially in Germany, where they have increased their usage of coal drastically and built many more coal power plants in tandem with their wind/solar farms. 

It is nothing more then a marketing scheme to help them sell more oil/gas/coal. 

Insofar as your comment on TX using more renewables then CA, many of the major oil/gas companies are based there and refer back to my previous point.  2nd, TX is the fracking epicenter and arguably the place where it is the cheapest to buy natural gas.  This means that the incredibly big drop in gas prices in TX is offsetting the overall increase in cost that wind/solar adds to the grid.  Forbes did an interesting article showing this, so they can (for now) afford wind/solar. 

However, in every other market, as soon as wind/solar reach around 12% to 15% of total combined production, energy price start to sky rocket.   
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 01:06:10 pm by JoeKitchen »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2019, 12:48:30 pm »

If wind and solar are so much cheaper, and Germany has been the leader in implementing wind/solar, tell me why the cost of electricity has been rising in Germany more then any other place in Europe?

I'm not sure if that's the case, but if it is, it might have something to do with the early retirement of Nuclear energy plants. And Germany still has a huge amount of Coal-based power plants that also need to be written off faster than anticipated.

And I'm not so sure they are building more new coal plants either:
https://nypost.com/2019/04/26/german-electricity-giant-says-it-wont-invest-in-new-coal-power-plants/

Cheers,
Bart

degrub

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2019, 12:49:34 pm »

perhaps because the German government shut down the nuclear reactors and heavily subsidized the solar install cost and forced a premium price on the utility. A good friend of mine in Germany said he was making significant money due to installing a solar system on his house.

Exxon's move is an appeasement and marketing ploy for the most part for all the reasons mentioned before.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2019, 12:57:20 pm »

I'm not sure if that's the case, but if it is, it might have something to do with the early retirement of Nuclear energy plants. And Germany still has a huge amount of Coal-based power plants that also need to be written off faster than anticipated.

And I'm not so sure they are building more new coal plants either:
https://nypost.com/2019/04/26/german-electricity-giant-says-it-wont-invest-in-new-coal-power-plants/

Cheers,
Bart

Yes, the phase out of nuclear is certainly adding to the issue.  However, this still does not take away from the fact that wind/solar are incredibly dilute and intermittent, making them extremely expensive just due to the increase in the infrastructure needed. 

Due to this, primarily their intermittency, they will never be base load power sources, which means until Germany recognizes nuclear is in fact safe (the safest power source actually) and starts implementing them again, they will only continue to increase their coal usage. 

BTW, saying they wont, is a lot different then actually not.  Let's see what happens in 10 years.  I am sure if they don't adopt nuclear, we will see more coal plants in Germany. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 01:07:52 pm by JoeKitchen »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2019, 01:11:28 pm »

Yes, the phase out of nuclear is certainly adding to the issue.  However, this still does not take away from the fact that wind/solar are incredibly dilute and intermittent, making them extremely expensive just due to the increase in the infrastructure needed.

Sure, it's only part of the solution. But due to their intermittent character, they can also be used to buffer energy, e.g. with Hydro-pumped storage (using old mines filled with water, pumped to a higher level during surplus production, and by use of gravity drive turbines as the water drops to a lower level, and so on). Besides, Germany is part of the European grid system, which increases the likelihood that somewhere the sun will shine or the wind will blow.

And, while currently not very efficient, excess solar-power during sunny summer-days can be converted to Hydrogen gas as a storage medium that will provide Carbon emission-free power when burned again when needed. Hydrogen gas can use the current existing natural gas pipeline infrastructure with relatively small modifications.

Cheers,
Bart

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2019, 01:16:08 pm »

BTW, saying they wont, is a lot different then actually not.  Let's see what happens in 10 years.  I am sure if they don't adopt nuclear, we will see more coal plants in Germany.

Unlikely, since Carbon taxes are being introduced in European countries. That would place polluters at a competitive disadvantage and it stimulates them to increase the percentage of alternative sources of energy and everybody to use less energy.

Cheers,
Bart

JoeKitchen

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2019, 01:47:31 pm »

Sure, it's only part of the solution. But due to their intermittent character, they can also be used to buffer energy, e.g. with Hydro-pumped storage (using old mines filled with water, pumped to a higher level during surplus production, and by use of gravity drive turbines as the water drops to a lower level, and so on). Besides, Germany is part of the European grid system, which increases the likelihood that somewhere the sun will shine or the wind will blow.

And, while currently not very efficient, excess solar-power during sunny summer-days can be converted to Hydrogen gas as a storage medium that will provide Carbon emission-free power when burned again when needed. Hydrogen gas can use the current existing natural gas pipeline infrastructure with relatively small modifications.

Cheers,
Bart

Bart, first off, it is not the case that if the sun does not shine then the wind must be blowing and vis versa.  So to assume that their will be sun shining and wind blowing always to produce energy is a fallacy.  This was shown to be the case in 2016, which was a much less windy and sunny year in Europe.  Actually the total amount of electricity produced in Germany from wind/solar that year was less then the previous even though they increased their potential production by over 20%. 

So what do you do in less windy/sunny years? 

Second, it cost money to transport power, and in many cases, when the distances are great, more then what you can actually charge for it.  This too has been shown to be the case.  The odd thing about wind and solar is that it produces a lot of energy when we typically don't need it.  Problem though is that an overcharged power grid can damage the grid from blow outs.  So when this happens, states/countries need to effectively pay their neighbors to take the excess energy because the cost of transport is higher then the price of it.  So Germany being part of the EU grid does not solve anything. 

Third, neither of the energy storage options you listed would actually work.  In the case of the water storage, it turns out you need a very specific storage vessel, not just some abandoned mine.  On top of this, even if abandon mines could work, they are not water tight, so a certain amount of construction will be needed.  Third, since salt water is so corrosive, fresh water will have to be used in these cases and their are much more important things to use fresh water for, such as irrigation or making sure the population does not go thirsty.  Remember, fresh water only constitutes 1% of all water on the planet; it is a more valuable resource then what we think it is. 

Insofar as the hydrogen suggestion, it takes a lot of energy to split water into hydrogen, so much so that nearly all commercially available hydrogen comes from other sources then water, like fossil fuels.  This is not to say you could not build a hydrogen production plant using electricity, but the fact remains you will loose a lot of energy in the process of splitting water.  On top of this, of all the flammable gases, hydrogen has the lowest energy potential. 

This is similarly the case with batteries.  You loose about 20% to 40% of your energy when you charge a battery and retrieve it later.  Compared to a electric grid, batteries are incredibly energy inefficient as well. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 01:58:09 pm by JoeKitchen »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2019, 01:49:44 pm »

Unlikely, since Carbon taxes are being introduced in European countries. That would place polluters at a competitive disadvantage and it stimulates them to increase the percentage of alternative sources of energy and everybody to use less energy.

Cheers,
Bart

You say that now, but political unrest could certainly arise if the cost of electricity in Germany continues to rise.  Considering how the EU is turning against immigration currently (which I did foresee), I would not say repealing carbon taxes, especially if nuclear is continued to be ignored, is outside the realm of possibilities. 

(Damn, I feel like my typing has taken a hit recently or I relying on auto-correct too much.) 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 01:54:47 pm by JoeKitchen »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2019, 01:57:57 pm »

You say that now, but political unrest could certainly arise if the cost of electricity in Germany continues to rise.  Considering how the EU is turning against immigration currently (which I did foresee), I would not say repelling carbon taxes, especially if nuclear is continued to be ignored, is outside the realm of possibilities.

I'm not saying that nuclear will be ignored, but it takes a long time to plan and build the new generation plants, and by that time a better type of generator (Thorium based) is probably available. There also technology keeps improving, and investors will be reluctant to invest in old technology.

Anyway, Carbon emissions have to be reduced, because the cost of postponement will be higher than of taking action right now.

Cheers,
Bart
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up