Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Microsoft Build Requirement for Adobe  (Read 988 times)

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
Microsoft Build Requirement for Adobe
« on: June 06, 2019, 02:21:57 pm »

Apparently in order to use some of the functionalities in the latest version of ACR, Adobe requires that the Windows 10 must be of the latest (Oct 2018) build.  Before I upgrade mine to it, I wanted to make sure there will be no surprises and side-effects of this upgrade.  Any experiences there to share?

Thanks.

:Niranjan.

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
Re: Microsoft Build Requirement for Adobe
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 02:45:21 pm »

I can't answer your question specifically, but moments ago I updated the Windows 10 VM (on my Mac) to the latest version (1903, May 2019), so there are a number of updates since October (ie, it's not the "latest" so far as I can tell). Whether that affects ACR one way or the other, I cannot say (no Adobe installed in VM).
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

Redcrown

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 02:46:52 pm »

The only feature that requires the Windows Oct update is the "Enhanced Details" function in ACR/LR. And that feature has been widely panned as not worth much by reviewers. Probably not worth the risk of the Windows upgrade.

The new "Texture" adjustment, on the other hand, is becoming popular. That feature works OK on old versions of Windows.

Fernando García

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 02:50:52 pm »

I updated Windows months ago when the enhace details feature came out and experienced no issues.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 03:02:08 pm »

The only feature that requires the Windows Oct update is the "Enhanced Details" function in ACR/LR. And that feature has been widely panned as not worth much by reviewers. Probably not worth the risk of the Windows upgrade.

If you have to deal with the effects of color aliasing on an image, Enhanced Detail is worthwhile. It's not a panacea, but it's a lot better than most of the other things I've tried.

That said, absent the need, it doesn't seem like a good reason for an OS upgrade, so we come down in the same place.

Jim

nirpat89

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 04:42:15 pm »

Thanks to all.

Based on the sentiments expressed, looks like I will leave the upgrade alone.  It's not like I use the current tools even close to their fullest capacity.  One less thing to do.... :)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 03:21:54 am »

Echoing Redcrown's comment, it's worth upgrading ACR/LR for the new Texture slider.

nirpat89

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 09:19:44 am »

Echoing Redcrown's comment, it's worth upgrading ACR/LR for the new Texture slider.

Yeah, John: I already got the upgrade, although at the time I didn't realize but it happened automatically when I finally upgraded the long overdue Bridge from 6.x to the current 11.x.  I checked out the Texture slider and it works fine (unlike Enhance Details which gives an error.)  Looks like not unlike Clarity one has to be careful not to get addicted to and overuse it!

Pages: [1]   Go Up