Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Nik Collection 2 by DxO Upgrade Offer  (Read 3426 times)

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
Nik Collection 2 by DxO Upgrade Offer
« on: June 05, 2019, 02:10:26 pm »

I received an email today about 25% off on an upgrade to the new version 2.

https://nikcollection.dxo.com

rdonson

Re: Nik Collection 2 by DxO Upgrade Offer
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 05:28:17 pm »

I've received the email.  I haven't seen any reviews yet on the new package.

I did see a CAVEAT that if you aren't careful installing the new version over the previous version it will delete presets you created.
Regards,
Ron

chez

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 06:21:53 pm »

I don't see much new functionality. I have no plans of using NIK on raw files as I do most of my processing of Raw in LR. Presets...I already have tons. Maybe the lens correction...but again right now I use LR.

Was hoping for more features.

billbane

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 06:34:14 pm »

Have installed both new ones.
No noticeable functionality improvements, on first blush.
Some of the presets in Silverflex are interesting.
Am pretty sure the speed of loading, closing, and making changes has improved somewhat, and maybe a lot.
Installing is a pain, at least in Windows, since their status screens do not come to the fore, but a waiting glass screen stays on top looking like it hung. Immediately after installing, got screen saying there was an important update. Ok, but it was not an update, but was a a completely new download and install.
With the new "free" photolab, once it was installed, it immediately told me my "trial" period was over.

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 10:53:12 pm »

Cheap trick.  I wonder if they have any other “surprises” up their sleeves.
Regards,
Ron

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 06:46:26 am »

I don't see much new functionality. I have no plans of using NIK on raw files as I do most of my processing of Raw in LR. Presets...I already have tons. Maybe the lens correction...but again right now I use LR.

Was hoping for more features.

I think DxO PhotoLab also installs as a plugin to LR.

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 12:24:20 pm »

I hope it can be uninstalled.  In the past DxO hasn’t supported my Fuji X-Trans cameras and I’m not keen on keeping something on my machine I can’t/won’t use.
Regards,
Ron

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 01:03:10 pm »

I hope it can be uninstalled.  In the past DxO hasn’t supported my Fuji X-Trans cameras and I’m not keen on keeping something on my machine I can’t/won’t use.

It won't automatically install it. You have the option available.

rdonson

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 02:32:03 pm »

Ahhhhh....that’s great.  Thanks, Rajan
Regards,
Ron

TommyWeir

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 02:27:24 am »

Well, this Fuji owner was sorry he upgraded.

No real benefits beyond a set of presets.

The 'new' feature is U-point on Raw which intrigued me enough to pay, but turns out X-Trans is not supported, not that that information was on the page you bought from.

Wrote back to them within an hour requesting a refund.  'Unfortunately, both of your licenses have been activated.'

Not a developer I'll be dealing with again.

Caveat Emptor.

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 11:18:23 am »

I've been a Nik user since the very early days, even paid big bucks for the programs in the day. I use mostly Silverefex and Colorefex. What they desperately need to add is a targeted adjustment tool. If they would add that, I'd consider it. As for now, the comments above almost make it seem like a simple money grab. I'm not sure there's real value in the upgrade. I'm willing to change my mind should there be something here I missed.

TommyWeir

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 04:15:01 am »

Well, turns out if I want a refund they want to remote login to my Mac via TeamViewer to do the deleting and de-authorising.

Yep.  They don't trust me, a long term Nik user and purchaser.  But want me to trust them.  Anyway...

The update consists of the following.  42 presets and a bundled PhotoLab, a browser with editing capabilities which can launch the plugins.  Oh, and doesn't handle Fuji X-Trans.  Full list below, see if it floats your boat.

Features:

Presets: 42 “En Vogue” presets
Color Efex Pro 4 includes a new series of 10 presets / recipes
Silver Efex Pro 2 includes a new series of 10 presets
Analog Efex Pro 2 includes a new series of 10 presets / tools combination
HDR Efex Pro 2 includes a new series of 12 presets

DxO PhotoLab 2.3 (Essential Edition): Is now part of Nik Collection 2 by DxO

Improved synergy between Nik Collection 2 by DxO and DxO PhotoLab 2.3 with a dedicated Nik Plugin Selector for direct access to any of the 7Nik plugins

Improvements:

HiDPI Support
Improved single monitor support on Windows for -Efex plugins (Color Efex Pro 4 – Silver Efex Pro 2 – HDR Efex Pro 2 – Analog Efex Pro 2) (now similar to macOS version)
Interface is now displayed taking into account scale setting from current monitor
Selective Tool’s interface is now scaled to the main monitor’s resolution
Improved sharpness when launched from Adobe Lightroom and on standalone interface
Image preview is now always displayed at resolution from current monitor
Improved multi-monitors support on macOS and Windows

Interface
Color Efex Pro 4 improved distinction between active and non-active panels

Installer
Dual installer: Nik Collection 2 by DxO now includes DxO PhotoLab 2.3 installation to its 7 plugins

Bug Fixes:
HDR Efex Pro 2: Output image is now by default saved in one of the input image’s directory instead of being saved in macOS/users/ (on macOS) or C:\Users\<username>\Documents (on Windows)
(macOS) Display issue when a font is missing is now fixed
(macOS) Selective Tool minimization issue in Adobe Photoshop is now fixed
(macOS) The progress bar is now refreshing in real time while installing your software
(Windows) Installer now detects the latest and future version of Adobe Photoshop
(macOS) Installation issues with Adobe Photoshop Elements 2018 when downloaded from Mac App Store is now fixed
Links from installer issue in some languages is now fixed

chez

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 08:15:39 am »

Well, turns out if I want a refund they want to remote login to my Mac via TeamViewer to do the deleting and de-authorising.

Yep.  They don't trust me, a long term Nik user and purchaser.  But want me to trust them.  Anyway...

Unbelievable.

rdonson

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 12:06:16 pm »

Well, this Fuji owner was sorry he upgraded.

The 'new' feature is U-point on Raw which intrigued me enough to pay, but turns out X-Trans is not supported, not that that information was on the page you bought from.

Caveat Emptor.

DXO stated years ago they would not support X-Trans sensors in their products.  This is no surprise.
Regards,
Ron

simon.garrett@iee.org

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2019, 12:24:48 pm »

Another unhappy user here.

I bought the original DxO version, only to find they'd done little to the free Google version except change the logo.  In particular, it wasn't high-DPI aware so not good on 4K screens (except very large ones).

This - paid-for - upgrade was advertised as: "The Nik Collection 2 by DxO is now compatible with Windows HiDPI monitors in addition to mac OS versions and now displays images in maximum native resolution."

In practice, only some apps are high-DPI aware.  So will we get the upgrade free of charge when they do what they advertised?  "Unfortunately we cannot guarantee a free upgrade because we do not know if it will happen in this version, or a future version, so we cannot make this guarantee."

Rip off!

And as for handing over control to them so they can make sure it's uninstalled to get a refund: well, they are risking the £49.99 I paid for the upgrade if they don't trust me, I am risking loss of personal and financial data if I don't trust them.  Rather asymmetric risk.  If I trust them as much as they trust me, well, it's not a great advert for DxO, is it? 

They misled me into buying their upgrade, and treat me like a criminal when I ask for my money back!

I've been looking for an Adobe alternative in case they jack up the price of CC, but I'm afraid that DxO is off my list now. 

TommyWeir

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2019, 12:41:13 pm »

I missed that one Ron.   Passed me by.   A tad bizarre given that all of their competitors do support it.   

The entire affair from the lack of new features or interface or workflow, the minimal updates, pushing presets, to bundling in another application, and calling it a V2, all that makes me think of a developer who doesn't really want to bring this product along somewhere and is pulling in whatever it can for it.   Close to EOL I'd say.

TommyWeir

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2019, 12:43:32 pm »

Unbelievable.

Yep, never in my days.

I purchase thousands of dollars worth of software every year from updates to new programs, actively support developers, enjoy what they bring.  Couldn't believe it.

rdonson

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2019, 05:19:54 pm »

I missed that one Ron.   Passed me by.   A tad bizarre given that all of their competitors do support it.   

They are the last to not support X-Trans.  There are other large names who didn't think X-Trans was worth their while until just a year or so ago. 

The good news is that at least it is 64 bit now and should work going forward on the Mac when Apple eliminates support for 32 bit apps.

As to whether or not it is worth the upgrade price... that's a personal decision. 

FWIW I've not been a fan of DXO.  I have enjoyed the Nik Collection for a long time and I just wanted to keep going with it. 
Regards,
Ron

Arlen

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2019, 07:49:42 pm »

Doesn't sound like there is much reason for most of us to upgrade at the moment. But I'm wondering if we'll have to keep upgrading in order to just maintain compatibility with new updates of Photoshop or Lightroom as they come along.

rdonson

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2019, 08:58:09 pm »

As long as Adobe doesn't change things for how plugins work for PS and Lr it should be good for a long time.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up