Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Accessing and manipulating print jobs on the printer hard drive (Cannon iPF8400)  (Read 483 times)

tr4driver

Does anyone know if it's possible to access prints jobs stored on the printer's hard drive and manipulate them in any way?  For example, resize them for a smaller sheet size?  Or even reverse compile them into an image file?

The reason I ask is that I've lost an image file that I recently printed through Lightroom.  I've found the print file listed on the printer's hard drive, and can print it with the same settings as the original file, but I need to re-print it at a smaller size.

Thank you,

Kurt

arobinson7547

On the 8300, you are just limited to a reprint. There are no provisions for manipulating any stored jobs.
This, I think is what separates printing with/without a RIP.

I.T. Supplies

You can't edit a file on the hard drive and it will keep the settings that you sent it to print at that moment.  I'm not sure if this is possible, but there should be an option on the computer where you can access the hard drive files and "may" be able to transfer to your computer to edit it afterwards.  I haven't accessed the drive on the Canon end in a while, but maybe check the manual or call Canon to confirm.

A RIP won't technically save the image like a hard drive.  It only allows you to edit it (like Photoshop) unless you save (or have it auto save) to adjust the file later.  But all Canon models with the hard drive will only allow you to reprint with the same settings unfortunately.

tr4driver

Thanks for the info.  I did contact Canon, and the support technician I spoke with was not even aware that the print jobs were stored on the hard drive.  After some discussion he put be on hold, and came back and confirmed that the print jobs were stored there, but they could only be re-printed per their original settings.

I've not found any way to access the drive from my computer (Windows 10) other than through the iPF8400 properties settings/utility.  The only options there are to delete, print or move (to another folder on the printer hard drive) the file.  I don't know of any easy way to access the drive through Windows.  It doesn't show up as a storage device anywhere that I can find it.  I'm connected to the printer through a router/network connection.  That may be a factor as well.

Thanks again for the help.

Kurt
Pages: [1]   Go Up