Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DesignJet Z3200 Shuts off during print head check  (Read 572 times)

mlkester

DesignJet Z3200 Shuts off during print head check
« on: June 03, 2019, 05:56:44 pm »

I have a frustrating Z3200 problem that I have not been able to solve through the service manual or google search or searching this forum and Mark L. great website.   The z3200 has been printing beautiful prints but recently went unused for a length of time.  So, it had the expected issues with clogged print heads.  I purchased all new ink and print heads but it sat powered down for a long time until this was done.  Now after installing all of the new cartridges and print heads, it initializes fine, goes into print head installation which I complete and then immediately after it shows that it is checking print heads, the display abruptly goes blank and only the PSU fan is running as far as I can tell.  I can't get past this.  I changed the formatter battery with no result.  I then bought a complete formatter and HD assembly which, after successfully completing the expected initialization and Fdsk check, also fails at same place - the checking print head stage..  I can find no one describing a similar issue or any help on trying to figure out what is causing the problem.  I ran through the electronics module diagnostic, sensor, scan axis, and carriage assembly with no errors except the +Vs and +Vaux voltages were lower than the service manual showed but I found other people saying the same thing even on a normally operating DesignJet.  Any ideas about what could be the problem and/or next steps would be greatly appreciated.  My thought was to replace the PSU in the absence of anything else but thought I would check here.  Thanks for any support you can provide.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 06:04:15 pm by mlkester »

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Re: DesignJet Z3200 Shuts off during print head check
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 08:50:14 pm »

I have a frustrating Z3200 problem that I have not been able to solve through the service manual or google search or searching this forum and Mark L. great website.   The z3200 has been printing beautiful prints but recently went unused for a length of time.  So, it had the expected issues with clogged print heads.  I purchased all new ink and print heads but it sat powered down for a long time until this was done.  Now after installing all of the new cartridges and print heads, it initializes fine, goes into print head installation which I complete and then immediately after it shows that it is checking print heads, the display abruptly goes blank and only the PSU fan is running as far as I can tell.  I can't get past this.  I changed the formatter battery with no result.  I then bought a complete formatter and HD assembly which, after successfully completing the expected initialization and Fdsk check, also fails at same place - the checking print head stage..  I can find no one describing a similar issue or any help on trying to figure out what is causing the problem.  I ran through the electronics module diagnostic, sensor, scan axis, and carriage assembly with no errors except the +Vs and +Vaux voltages were lower than the service manual showed but I found other people saying the same thing even on a normally operating DesignJet.  Any ideas about what could be the problem and/or next steps would be greatly appreciated.  My thought was to replace the PSU in the absence of anything else but thought I would check here.  Thanks for any support you can provide.

If this was my machine, I would start the printer then pull the plug just as the carriage moved out of home position. I'd leave it unplugged overnight. Then the next day, I'd pull all the carts and printheads, and put back the original formatter and hard drive.  With the carriage in the correct position for changing out printheads, I'd make sure the on/off switch is in the off position, then plug back in. Next, I'd power back on the printer from the switch watching the screen carefully.  Put the cartridges in when and only when the printer calls for them. Same with printheads. If it initializes, then great - start printing.  If not, repeat the procedure as many times as it takes, leaving the printheads in, but taking all the carts out, putting them back in when the printer calls for them.  After the fourth try, if no success, unplug the printer again, leave it unplugged overnight, then switch it on again in the morning and see what gives.

Beyond that, if still no joy, I'd start replacing parts.  Usually when there are issue with printheads, the print mech board is the culprit. A replacement must be the same Rev A or B number and must match the formatter and hard drive. 

Mark 
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

mlkester

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 08:39:56 am »

Thanks for the response and suggestions, Mark.  Sorry for the slow reply -  I was out of town.  I have tried versions of what you have suggested multiple times including removing all cartridges and print heads several times and putting them back in when asked for but I haven't done the exact sequence and steps you indicated so I will give that a shot and report back.  It's just very frustrating because there is no error code or any diagnostic test  failure yet it can't get by the print head initialization.  I love the output of this printer so  even if I can't get this one working, I'll likely look for another one but I hope I can revive this one.  We have brought it back to life a couple of times before so hopefully it is the same this time.  Thanks!

mlkester

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 02:35:05 pm »

Update - After reinstalling the original formatter, I pulled the plug during initialization when the carriage was under the window.  Restarted the next day after pulling the cartridges and print heads and that does appear to drive different behavior as it is now getting past the preparing print heads after replacing the print heads back into the printer and is now getting about 45% into preparing print system routine (which is further than it got before) but then fails repeatedly with a bad print head for B-GN.  Even though all the print heads are brand new and never used, I will order another B-GN print head and see what happens next.  Not sure why putting the print head assembly out away from its normal parked position and then abruptly pulling power would cause it to get past the consistent shutdown issue during the preparing print heads routine as there is no logic to it that I understand but I certainly can't argue with results so thanks Mark for getting me one more step to recovery.  Will report back once I get a new print head. 

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 04:15:38 pm »

You could try the pulling the cartridges, AND the printheads and attempt another restart sequence.
Be prepared with glossy paper for a print head alignment.

-M
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up