Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to digital; scanning & photoshop help  (Read 628 times)

chubbco

New to digital; scanning & photoshop help
« on: June 01, 2019, 04:27:38 pm »

Old dog, seeking new trick. Revisiting my archive of film negative from the 70s (b/w 8x10, 5x7, 4x5, 120, 35mm and color 35mm transparencies and negative), clearly I have a lot to learn about scanners and about Photoshop.

Acquired an Epson v850 scanner -- looking for guidance,. Silverfast offers an 85p review/tutorial supposedly here but the link is dead. Any idea how to reach Mark Segal, whose post it was? Or any other tutorials of particular value?

Acquired an Epson SureColor 600 -- looking for guidance. I've avoided using Photoshop for more than a decade but I guess it's time. Any particularly useful guides to a complicated powerful product?

Any assistance gratefully received.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
Re: New to digital; scanning & photoshop help
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 04:41:58 pm »

For printing, this website is full of excellent tutorials on how to make inkjet prints.

chubbco

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 04:54:43 pm »

THANK YOU, MARK!

chubbco

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 05:19:46 pm »

Hi Mark, I notice that the Appendix 6 update takes your book to Silverfast 8.1 but the Silverfast I'm working from is v8.8.

Are you going to update further? Are there material or useful differences between the Silverfast versions?

Many thanks,

Cotty

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 05:33:54 pm »

Old dog, seeking new trick. Revisiting my archive of film negative from the 70s (b/w 8x10, 5x7, 4x5, 120, 35mm and color 35mm transparencies and negative), clearly I have a lot to learn about scanners and about Photoshop.

Acquired an Epson v850 scanner -- looking for guidance,. Silverfast offers an 85p review/tutorial supposedly here but the link is dead. Any idea how to reach Mark Segal, whose post it was? Or any other tutorials of particular value?

Acquired an Epson SureColor 600 -- looking for guidance. I've avoided using Photoshop for more than a decade but I guess it's time. Any particularly useful guides to a complicated powerful product?

Any assistance gratefully received.

The Epson scanning software that came with your excellent scanner is all you need. I have been scanning prints, slides, and color negs with it for years without any issues.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 06:33:57 pm »

Hi Mark, I notice that the Appendix 6 update takes your book to Silverfast 8.1 but the Silverfast I'm working from is v8.8.

Are you going to update further? Are there material or useful differences between the Silverfast versions?

Many thanks,

Cotty

Cotty - not enough difference between versions within the 8 family to make further up-dating worthwhile. For several revised or differently operating features LaserSoft imaging has produced videos or PDFs on its documentation page that you can download, so there wasn't much point in me producing more updates. What's on that download page will give you a tremendous amount of instruction and insight into various workflows that remain valid.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 06:40:35 pm »

The Epson scanning software that came with your excellent scanner is all you need. I have been scanning prints, slides, and color negs with it for years without any issues.

What is "all you need" of course depends on the needs/preferences of the customers. What "all YOU need" is not necessarily what someone else may need or prefer. Hence the scanner also comes with SilverFast (upgradeable version) for those who prefer access to a more comprehensive, feature-rich scanning application. I would encourage new users to try both and see what works best for them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up